4FT L started at last

Reaction score
At last I have started my 4FT L shape tank up.

The tank ran with salt water for 2 days and on Saturday I added the live rock I got from Gali. Awesome stuff. Thanks Gali.

I added 25 l of old tank water from my nano to the tank to get the cycle going.
I;m sure the LR for Gali will help as well. Right? I also added 20 kg of live sand from Likesfish (or used to belive, but was kept in water) to the tank.

My first question is this:
My Nano is extremely over stocked and I would like to move everythign to the big tank.
I calculated the water volume to be between 460-500l.
If I move everything including the filtermedia and tank water to the big one, will it be safe?

I tested the water and all is zero except Nitrate at <10.

Or should I wait a few weeks to allow the DSB and bigger filters to cycle?

keep testing mate.

Did the sand used to be live or did it used to believe? hehe ;)

Woeps early morning typing :razz:

Maybe I should move the live stock out to the big one bit by bit?
Corals first and fish last ot other way round?

Test for a few days, as long as the mini cycle has finished, i would move the corals first then the fish. (as it will be easier to catch the fish with no corals in the way)

Cool thanks Wee-man.

My reasoning was that the corals will add less bioload to the system giving it a better chance of not crashing the filters...

You have good live rock, seeded well, going from a nano to a 4 footer, i don't honestly think you could crash it, just make sure any cycle from the move has finished, then transfer all of it in one go, to acclimatise keep swapping small amounts of water between the two tanks, that way you will be acclimatising them so you can take them straight from one to the other.

Great Idea. Thanks Wee-man!! I'll definately do that...

I'll give it few days to settle and then start the move.

Now I need some more marco algae for the sump. Hint hint people ;)

would love to help you out with cheato but going to give "laaste bietjie" too geoffrey
That sand from waldo is long time dead already.:(
I'm bit scared about the anemone, keep it in nano for 6months and then place it in the L- shape, they like systems that are running for a while.

Good idea Lanzo.

I'll then just get some form him when he harvests...

Not so sure on the live sand hey. I think allot fo the bacteria can survice as long as the sand is wet, which it was...Sure all the macro live is long dead though...

Can a neighbour borrow a cup of sand? ;)

one day, but not know, my dsb isn't 100% right yet.
i'll give you some when my para becomes more stable and cyano is gone:thumbup:

peer presure is it... :razz:

I'll try and load some on Monday. No nasty comments on my sump then...

BTW How much skimmate does all these fancy skimmers produce?
I did n DIY one and I get about 200 ml very dark stuff per day...is that good or bad?

O.K. O.K. I give... I'll try sanp some Sunday evening. I'm away the weekend...

How is your purple algae doing? and the monti's?
Mine only started growing now. The monti's also started open up now. I can see the little polyps coming out...I think my tank might be to bright for them...will have to wait and see...

What "fancy skimmer" do you have Lappies? And no - won't offer a "nasty comment" on your sump (your original sump design idea was awesome)....
How dark and smelly is your DIY skimmer's skimmate?

It must be EXTREMELY smelly - like a rotten egg that has lain in the sun for a few days ;-)

Then you know your skimmer is REALLY working!

My two skimmers produces about the same amount per day - the TS2 with the ReefOctopus pump on produces a bit more than the other TS2 with the ReSun pump on.... The TS2 with the ReSun pump is DEFINITELY producing FAR less bubbles than the TS2 with the ReefOctopus pump...

BTW How much skimmate does all these fancy skimmers produce?
I did n DIY one and I get about 200 ml very dark stuff per day...is that good or bad?
i use to get about half cup of dark skimmate every 2 days from my Reefctopus DNW 200.remember,bioload plays a huge role in the amount of skimmate produced ;)

Thanks Guys.

Yeah Jac, be gentle ;)

To be honest I havn't smelled the skimmate...But it is nice and dark though...

Well this very fancy skimmer is a bottle with a hole cut in each side. It sits on my DSB in the current flowing over it... So water pass through the skimmer as it passes over the DSB,

In the bottle I have a normal airstone and a wooden airstone. The normal one produce big bubbles creating allot of turmoil in the bottle. The wodden one goves allot of very fine bubbles. Then I just played a bit with hight to get the last bits of foam way at the top to bubble over into my cup...

Sure it can never be as effect as the big skimmers since the water that flows through it is not compareable.

So far I'm very happy with it. My idea with the skimmer was just to give my DSB's a chance ot mature. I think I
ll keep it on there anyway.

It must be working since the nitrate and nitrite is zero...

Back
Top Bottom