4age's 6foot angelfish setup

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by 4age, 2 May 2012.

1. 4age

4age

ok guys..so for the last two years i have been attempting to do my marine tank, but due to circumstances (marriage etc) i have had to cancel plans and sell equipment at least 3 times.

so now i have finally decided to take the step to do my marine tank...as i am cutting down on the amount of other tanks i am keeping, i decided to convert my 2m tank. i accumulated equipment over the last year or so...still deciding if i must go FOWL or reef...i really like butterflies and angelfish

:drool5:

so here are some pics..the tank currently holds some malawis which i will transfer to other 6foot tank

here was the tank at the time i set it up for the malawis..i have decided to remove the first cube under the tank and run only the 4foot sump, as this would give me more space for equipment, ro tank etc...altho the cube would have made an awesome refugium..

[​IMG]

the tank has a black wrap around cabinet to cover up the mess.lol. pic was taken before tank was cleaned and set up..i know it looks bad.

[​IMG]

now for the equipment..unfortunately i cannot go crazy with equipment..but i have the following which should be sufficient to run tank..

Ppowerlab Skimmer..will be external..has an askol pump with mesh wheel..

[​IMG]

i also have a Reef Oct xtreme 200 internal skimmer which i will be running

I have two 4x 39watt t5 units for the tank. the tank will also get a fair bit of natural sunlight.

i have 3 sun sun wave makers for current..uplift pump is an or 3500 which has been running well.

i also have a waterboy ro unit which i will be using.

i have about 80-10kg of playsand in display tank, and have about 20-30kg of live rock which i will add to tank.

any advice on whether i should go fowl or reef? due to my profession i do not want a set up which will take too much out of my day.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass

Nice looking tank, looks like you have all the major areas covered. If you love fish go fish only, just remember corals are addictive.

I personally prefer a mixed reef.

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Looking nice man - will follow the progress..

Good luck
    David

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

You do seem to have most basis covered, looking fwd to seeing it unfold and evolve.

Some considerations:
    For a reef tank, definitely not enough flow with only 3 of those sun sun pumps. Even in a fish only it will be insufficient to move enough detritus to your filtration.
    The sandbed which you intend putting in tank, will not be of sufficient depth for effective denitrification, and with only 20 kg LIverock, your denitrification capacity is a bit underpowered. This is not a concern if you intend running a carbon based method, with additional bacterial real estate, such as np biopellets, nitra guard biocubes, zeovit, ultralith etc.
    I would advise you keep the refugium, biodiversity cannot be over-emphasized. Bear in mind that most external equipment can be run in sump.

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Whether to go reef or fowlr, only you can decide that, but have to agree that corals are ver addictive and the fact that you can add a lot more than fish, makes a reeftank the inevitable outcome in my opinion. When initially starting to stock, bear this in mind and initially invest only in reef safe, non boisterous species.

7. 4age

4age Thread Starter

@ireiivan..i do have the bubble magus reactor i can mod to run boi pellets, but i am a bit hesitant as i heard that if there is a powercut, and a tank gets restarted, the water that was in the biopellet reactor can kill all live stock in the tank.

unfortunately my electric wiring skills are not up to scratch as yet, so i dont see myself setting up my own back up power supply soon.

with regard to the sand...i will also have a dsb about 80cm long by 45cm wide. and live rock should be about 40kg once i add other dead live rock which will then reseed..i will also add live rock to tank as i go along.

with regard to stocking of tank...can i add a long nose butterfly with soft corals? if i do keep corals, i want easy to keep softies, green star polyps etc

8. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok guys..so i have been crazy busy lately..but have managed to add some water to the tank and add the live rock..figured i could get the tank running while i find some time to redo the sump..want to move one of the panes so i can get a larger dsb in..and add a compartment for top up water..excuse pic quality.took pics with cell phone..

[​IMG]

added the live rock...i still have to scape the tank...was thinking of making two islands...one high one towards the left..and a longer lower island on the right..

[​IMG]

I have a few more kgs of dead rock to add..once the rock has been reseeded it should be fine

9. Nur

Nur Starz

looking good, go mixed reef its fun.. :) if u go fish only u wont be alloewd to come drool over my tank.. :)

10. 4age

4age Thread Starter

lol..welcome back @Nur..heard the trip was good. I wouldnt mind corals...but the fish are what made me set up marines again.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. maj

maj

tru boet,nothing can beat a tank full of Angels:yeahdude:

12. DarrenT

DarrenT

When you say natural sunlight do you mean through a window? if so that is bad, as you going to experience a lot of algae issues!

13. Nur

Nur Starz

sunlight is only one of the factors that contribute to Algae issues.
    i personally havent had an algae issue and my tank gets sunlight from sunrise till 11am.
    i would say its more how you look after params and feeding. sunlight can be overcome.

14. 4age

4age Thread Starter

well guys..i have been looking at some pics of nice zoas lately..really tempted to fill my display tank with these..also decided to leave the cube connected under the tank as a refugium..should help with bio diversity.

15. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok..so i have added water and live rock to the tank...scaping is not yet where i want it to be...wna go for the three island look..

16. 4age

4age Thread Starter

will add pics soon

17. 4age

4age Thread Starter

[​IMG]

still working on this island..not happy with it..gna replace with some fiji rather

[​IMG]

18. DarrenT

DarrenT

try to get one of your pumps to blow directly onto the rocks so that when the tank starts becoming stocked you wont battle with un-eaten foods or even sometimes a dead fish that may land up under there. Its looking good though!

19. brentv

brentv

4age I had a hastle with my 2.7 when I started scaping and also wanted to do 3 islands, I used conduit pipe and drilled holes through the rock and 'Sosatied' them worked very well I'm very happy! Check my Thread on my 2.7, might give you some ideas?

20. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok..have changed the one island that i wasnt happy with..tank is slowly starting to look how i want it to..will post some pics later..now i have a question...what supplements would you guys recommend? i will be going mixed reef with mostly softies which are easy to keep...what should i does?

21. Nur

Nur Starz

you only need Calcium, when you come to me i'll explain what and how i dose. cheap cheap :)

Recent Posts