4age project 2

Reaction score
ok..so plans are starting to progress on new system..FINALLY

as I moved to a smaller place I have to unfortunately downsize as my current tank would be too big for the space available

initially I was planning on building a long cabinet with the tank on side but after playing around I realised that a long tank just wouldn't work in the space...so I had to consider setting up a cube...wasn't too impressed coz I knew I would have problems with space to fit all my equipment (one condition was that tank had to look very neat and fit in with look of the place

so iv decided to go for a peninsula type setup..viewable from 3 sides..so more space to put corals.lol

95x65 wide by 55h (still deciding if I must go lower or make it 60cm high)

I have all the equipment already..will post list of goodies closer to setup

will be sps dominant tank with few lps n zoas.might go for bb on tank

Waiting on glass quotes at the moment. need tiler to redo some work and seal my grouting then the fun can begin..

Sounds good. What lights you gonna be running?

two ghl mitras and 2 or 4 ati 39w t5 bulbs when I get chance to build a light box..have the ghl mitras laying at home already

ok so 1st quote for polished edge starfire glass is about 2,5k...will see what other quotes I get then il start

equipment wise..

vertex omega 150 skimmer

Grotec doser and jebao doser

I have a calcium reactor I might hook up then I wont need one of the dosers

lighting...two x ghl mitras led units coupled with either one or two ati coral plus/blue plus 39watt t5 bulbs on individual reflectors one either side of the led units

flow...have two rw8, two wp 40s, one wp25 and two small tunze pumps il use..will play around to see which combination gives best results.

Uplift pump is a red devil 5000 pump

Top up will be done through an aquamedic peristaltic pump

Last edited:
busy looking at stand designs..i wont be able to hang lights from ceiling so have to do something like this but in white

frag_shallow_reef_stand.jpg

also have one or two toys on route for new system..cant wait..should be here later

This tank had similar problem with hanging the lights.
Made 2 brackets out of 20mm square tubing. They slide into 2 bigger pieces of square tubing. Various holes drilled for different heights. Use a big nail that I bend 90 degrees for good grip to set the height.

10944d04811c54968.jpg

thanks guys. I have the same setup on current stand..with new tank the difference is that the bracket will have to come up from the side of tank and run across the length of the tank. I am concerned about the bracket sagging/bending over time as it will have to be a long piece the same length as the tank

@4age, Bending Square Tubing is not easy, since you only hanging a light unit on it it will be fine. you might even hang from it for Top view Shots:lol:,
The only reason it will bend is if the Arms attaching to the Frame/Stand is Short & the Bolts are Loose, so go with 25-30mm square tubing....

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, if using my design over the length of the tank, it will show if its hanging skew.

Solution is another bigger square tubing piece lower down , so that there would be a top and bottom part to slot into. Advantage would be that the light bracket is at least removable. But you hve to ensure that the arm is not too long to get it out with your house ceiling above the tank

ok guys..might make changes to tank size

95x70 wide by 50 high if everything goes as planned with furniture

I will also use kalk, as I have seen results on guys tanks when its run right and looks awesome..im just worried about stability if I run it through ATU unit

Might have my dosing pump push the ro water through kalk reactor so I can set the dosing perfectly. this way I avoid instability caused by fluctuating top up rates.

any suggestions on sump design..i need space for a calcium reactor with dual chambers and a kalk stirrer underneath tank as well.

was thinking of getting a 90 by 40 wide by 40 high sump with built in Ro tank...OR a 40cm cube for refugium, which then flows into a 48cm by 40 wide by 40 high sump

Back
Top Bottom