49 Year Old Tank

Reaction score
We now live in a condo and,they uncovered the pool yesterday but it has no water in it so swimming is difficult and noisy. The walls of it are also filthy. Apparently there is a leak in the thing someplace and they are repairing that. After they do that and fill it, I would imagine they will have to throw a clean up crew in there for a few weeks until it is cycled. I saw the maintenance guy dumping a few dead shrimp in there to start the cycle. :m01:

Then when they allow us to go into the pool, we first have to dip ourselves in fresh water for 3 minutes in case any of us harbor flukes.
When they finally allow us to get into the water, we can only go in one at a time and before anyone else can go in, that person has to stay there by themselves for 72 days. If God Forbid a person is seen to have spots, the process has to start all over again.

This is going to be hard because many of the people have freckles. :m54:

It' better be a long summer.

Reaction score
Yesterday I threw about 25 small mud snails in my tank. Today,I can't find even one. :cool:
I am waiting to go out to dinner and I was watching my tank with the room lights off. (Yes,i am weird)

I noticed my new, smaller 6 line wrasse which I have not seen in the week or two since I added him. If you have a pair of fish it is hard to know if you have two unless you see the both of them at the same time. In my tank I can go months before that happens as the structure is a huge system of caves that go from one of the tank to the other.

The smaller 6 line wrasse looks pregnant although I didn't think she was old enough to spawn.

I also found my new little bi color bleeny but I am pretty sure she is to young to spawn. A few more months maybe.
I am pretty sure my Rainsford gobies are spawning as they "live" in a hole in the gravel next to an undergravel filter tube. They may even be going under that filter plate but I am to stiff to get under the tank with a flashlight to look for them.

I don't have pictures of the 6 line wrasses because they are to fast, but these guys are also spawning.

Reaction score
I took a nice walk early this morning like I always do before sunrise.
I don't know if you guys know what this white stuff is but we get it all this time of the year.
thumbnail.jpg

Snow walk.jpg

Reaction score
For the last week or two I was a little disappointed because I couldn't find any of my randalls gobi's and one of my Bangai cardinals.
I was just working behind the tank and found them both. They are pregnant and fine. So this week I found my Gecko gobi, 2 randalls gobi's and my bangai cardinal. My tank had a lot of caves and hiding places so it is very hard to find certain types of fish.

Reaction score
I don't know why they can't make these things last longer. I just had to replace the fan on the left. I don't know how long it wasn't working but you can see that it is much cleaner then the one on the right so maybe it never worked.
I have a few of these broken lights so I have a nice supply of fans.

I had to add a new fan but also the wiring to the fan didn't work so I just had to splice the new fan to the old one.
It's not a big deal but shouldn't happen.

View attachment 2041374

Reaction score
My tank is running excellently. All the fish that were spawning are still spawning and I am happy that my new long nose butterfly and my copperband are getting along like brothers, or sisters. :m03:

They hunt together and hang out like best friends. I like that. My Janss pipefish is past his lifespan but still looks great as does my little blue stripe pipefish.

All the other fish look great, better than I do. :m41:

I know so many people have so many problems and I feel for them. I am not sure why there are so many problems. Maybe I have been doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

My DIY algae scrubber is scrubbing perfectly and my 25 year old DIY skimmer is skimming nicely.

I would imagine my reverse UG filter is doing what it is supposed to do but I can't see it so I don't know.

Brittle stars are doing the macarana and I assume dancing with the bristle worms of which I have many.
No problems to report so far but I hear after 51 years problems start to pop up. ;)

Hammer.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
This morning like every morning I took a walk. I walk about two miles so it's not like I will be entering the Olympics or anything. It was 23 degrees and it was just before the sun came up.

All of a sudden I got this uncontrollable urge to do the Macarana and I twisted my knee. One of my knees was replaced a while ago with aluminum or "Mastic". (some kind of fish food copperbands are supposed to like but I am guessing)

I almost fell down as it was a little painful and I contemplated calling the paramedics just because I wanted to see if they had a helicopter. Then I realized it wasn't that bad so I limped home and put some of that "heat rub" stuff on the knee.

Now everyone knows none of that stuff ever does anything for pain but it smells so good. I have a few different kinds, some smell like pine trees, some like cedar and some like camphor so I use all of them at the same time.

I am still in pain but I smell like a forest filed with mosquito repellent which is kind of refreshing.

Reaction score
My tank is running excellently. All the fish that were spawning are still spawning and I am happy that my new long nose butterfly and my copperband are getting along like brothers, or sisters. :m03:

They hunt together and hang out like best friends. I like that. My Janss pipefish is past his lifespan but still looks great as does my little blue stripe pipefish.

All the other fish look great, better than I do. :m41:

I know so many people have so many problems and I feel for them. I am not sure why there are so many problems. Maybe I have been doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

My DIY algae scrubber is scrubbing perfectly and my 25 year old DIY skimmer is skimming nicely.

I would imagine my reverse UG filter is doing what it is supposed to do but I can't see it so I don't know.

Brittle stars are doing the macarana and I assume dancing with the bristle worms of which I have many.
No problems to report so far but I hear after 51 years problems start to pop up. ;)

Hammer.jpg
Question, has your sand bed gone under any cementation at all over this time scale? Love the tank and your stories as always. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
That picture was in the summer on Montauk. at the east end of Long Island New York. (USA) I didn't have a picture of today on that computer and it is 23 degrees F so make believe it is snowing and I am being chased by a walrus while drinking a hot chocolate with a little rum in it.

I don't have any sand, that is dolomite gravel. You can't use sand with a reverse undergravel filter. It has never cemented or did anything else. It is just there.

Reef.JPG

Reaction score
I am sure my fish are confused today because we have to change the clocks. I wonder what fish in the sea do when they don't really know what time it is?

Normally at this time (whatever time it really is) I would be out for a walk. My knee won't let me do that today and I can't just leave it home. I really need to get this thing replaced but my other one didn't come out to well so I have been pushing it off.

You can only push these things off so long , then one day while you are on your back on a snowy street with cars and school buses full of Sumo wrestlers that keep driving by splashing you with slush mixed with the sand and salt they throw on the streets here in the north to melt the ice. (I realize you guys have no idea what that is about)

At that point, in those few times that you can just about open your eyes, in between the school buses and garbage trucks, for a split second you realize, you really need to have both knees working to stand up.

My main concern is my wife. She needs my help constantly, even to put her shoes on and wax my car so I can't just be off my feet for a few months. It is my right leg so I won't be able to drive or play polo. Bungee jumping I would imagine is also off the table.

I know from my last knee replacement that is will also be hard for her to sleep with all my screaming. But if you get to my age, and you don't need new knees, you didn't work hard enough or didn't have enough fun.

My neighbors all offered to help (I have great neighbors) but I told them I am not sure if they actually want to live in my house for the better part of a year while I hobble around in my Speedo.

Part of their duties will be to feed the fish but I told them not to worry because they won't have to quarantine anything or measure out medication to them. To "me", quite a lot, but not to the fish who can tend to themselves. :oops:

Quote Reply

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am slowly losing some of my corals. Due to this broken wrist with the full cast on it wyhich I cant get wet, some sponge isgrowing up the bases ofthe corals and I can't get in there to trim the stuff. That is normaly the maintenance I do like weekly. I really need to trim the stuff occasionally but I can't doitnow.
Friday I go back to the surgeon so maybe she will remove this thing, but I doubt it.

I also need to clean my algae scrubber but same problem :(

arm.jpg

Last edited:

ghost_Nic

Reefer 350
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am slowly losing some of my corals. Due to this broken wrist with the full cast on it wyhich I cant get wet, some sponge isgrowing up the bases ofthe corals and I can't get in there to trim the stuff.
Look at the bright side Paul, this is the best excuse ever to get a Moorish Idol !!!

Top Bottom