40 Year Old Tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by SchyffS, 13 Jul 2010.

1. Paul B

Paul B

Instead of the phone I bought this. It was cheaper and I can just tell it to call someone. No problem :001_cool:

[​IMG]

r0ckf1re likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Nella

Nella

Damn❗❗❗ Nice mobile phone
    Any super models that came with it?

4. Paul B

Paul B

Th sales girl in the picture is checking the back seat for stray Supermodels because they cost extra. :001_wub:

5. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Congrats Paul, looks great.

6. Paul B

Paul B

Thanks, I think I pick it up Tuesday. I hope it has gas in it. :biggrin:

7. Paul B

Paul B

So I go to Home Depot for a few things to finish up some Steam Punk projects and re cycle some fluorescent light bulbs. Every time I go there, or better yet, a good Hardware store I have to peruse the hardware aisle. I just like the smell of steel, brass and copper.

As I am walking around, my cell phone rings. I take it out, look at it and see who it is. When I try to answer it, it goes blank. I go to put it away and it comes on again. I go to talk, and it goes blank, I go to put it away and I hear "Beep" and I lost the caller.

So I walk around a little more and decide to call my wife because she wanted me to pick up something and I never pay attention to these things so I forgot what it was.

I call my wife and I hear "Hello". I go to talk and I get "beep" and the thing goes dead.

I call her back and see that she answered, I go to talk and "beep".

"Jesus Mary and Josephine" What the heck is going on? It's like I am in the Twilight Zone stuck in a phone time warp with no way out.

I have been having trouble with this phone but not like this.

My wife calls me back. I say, "My Phone is ............................." and it goes dead. No screen, no noise, nothing.

So I figure the thing is toast and I will have to get a new phone.

I check out and as I am walking to my car, the phone rings. I answer it expecting it to go dead, and it works fine.

I call back my friend and it works fine.

"AHA" It hits me. I think I know what happened. I picked up the stuff I bought in Home Depot, put the phone next to it, and it goes dead.

I bought a cabinet magnet that keeps a door closed. I took out my phone with my right hand and then transfer the phone to my left hand to talk. I just like my left ear better what can I tell you.

My left hand had the magnet in it. I didn't know that when you put the phone next to a magnet, it croaks.

Who Knew!

8. Paul B

Paul B

My tank is looking real good. It usually does but I had nothing really to say. I don't get dino's, hair algae, ich, carpenter ants, bryopsis, flatworms or any of that stuff. If I did, it goes away. Actually I do have some cyano but I have had some of that for decades. I actually like the purple tinge as it matches my eyes. My 5 Queen Anthias are looking real fine and growing. The store had to sell them to me real quick because they can't keep them alive. They are a type of fish you can't throw squashed brine shrimp or flakes at and expect them to thank you and
    do the Macarana.
    I really thought my very old Bangai Cardinal would die of old age by now but he still looks great. I also think my pair of bluestripe pipefish are well past their lifetime but they keep spawning. Lucky fish. My fireclowns spawn like rabbits as do my mandarins. I stepped up hatching brine shrimp due to all the Anthias but it benefits the other fish as well.
    Too bad one of my yellow wrasses jumped out because I think they were also spawning.
    I don't remember how old my copperband is but he is my biggest eater by far and it is hard to keep enough worms and clams for him. He eats more than all my other fish combined except for this annoying blue striped wrasse. He jumped out once and hit me in the nose. I should have left him on the floor as he is too big. But I got a big heart and threw him back.
    Still don't see my clingfish and he may be on the floor someplace or stuck under the UG filter.

[​IMG]

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got roof insulation in my fish room. Looks like aluminium foil, but just a lot thicker. If I'm on a call and walk into the fishroom, the call drops. Took me longer than I should admit to realize whats happening.

10. Paul B

Paul B

We had some friends on our boat last night for diner and there was a mildew smell in the head (bathroom) I changed the screens on the windows last week and apparently didn't seal the window very tight and the heavy rain we had this week soaked in to all the towels and they got moldy so we had to take everything home to wash. My wife is an extreme fanatic about cleanliness so now we have to go and bleach everything even though it is about 60 degrees and windy.
    Anyway, while she is doing that I will collect some grass shrimp which there are thousands around my boat. I probably can't collect amphipods yet because there is no seaweeds yet growing there where they congregate to and I am not going to my collection tide pool today because it is to cold and I don't feel like jumping into 50 degree water.
    I also probably won't collect any mud because I don't take that from my marina as those bacteria are always high from PCBs, LSD, Quaaludes, fuel oil, anthrax and now, Clorox. (from my wife's cleaning)
    But as soon as it gets back at least into the 70s I can get some mud.

[​IMG]

r0ckf1re likes this.
  11. Paul B

Paul B

Today I had to do some maintenance because I could use my algae scrubber as a produce stand and my three powerheads are not even putting out enough flow to make a bowlegged pod get out of breath. I haven't changed water in so long that I dropped a net in there and it is still standing up.
    So I took off the algae screen and clogged my sink cleaning it. Then I reached in to grab the powerhead and BAM, POW, ZZZZZZZZ, BBBUZZZZzzzz. I am embarrassed to say I got a huge shock. It was so huge it threw me back, out the front door, across the street into the path of a 1967 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser.
    OK, I may have ad libbed a little, but I did hit the couch on my knees. Being an electrician (and a real Man) these things don't normally bother me but I did immediately look in the mirror to see if my hair started to grow back. Only out of my nose it seems. There is nothing wrong with my powerhead, the problem is with me. When I built my very cool water cooled LED light fixture I added about 10 bare wires sticking straight up an inch or so that I use as test points in case an LED goes out. But, I know I am not supposed to have one arm in the water while my other arm is touching one of those live wires. My nervous system generally frowns on that sort of thing. As you know, electricians do things in their own homes that we would never do in some one else's house. You should see my panel.
    All is well and most of my fish stopped laughing.
    I don't need an excuse to post Greta.

[​IMG]

r0ckf1re likes this.
  12. Paul B

Paul B

Now I am running my Diatom filter. I do this maybe once a year mainly because it is raining so I can't go on my boat. I turned it on and rust shot out all over the place so I know it is working perfectly.
    I stirred up my gravel and now the front glass looks like sheet metal so I know it's cleaning like it is supposed to.
    All is well.

Biohazard likes this.
  13. Paul B

Paul B

I may build another Steam Punk anglerfish. I am not sure as I have enough steampunk for the art show in August but once the Steam Punk Bug bites you, you just have to keep going.
    This stuff keeps me up at night. I used to think about Supermodels, now I think about Supermodels swimming with Steam Punk fish. I guess its an aging process.
    If I build another fish I will make it with more Pizazz.
    The Supermodel counselor at the VA told me that building stuff and staying awake is probably part of my PTSD. Who knew!
    If I didn't have to sleep I could do this kind of stuff all night. It's kind of a curse. Sort of like reefing.
    [​IMG]
    [[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 May 2017
  14. Paul B

Paul B

As we age we normally gets aches and pains which are good because they let us know we are still alive. If we didn't feel anything that is because we are dead and no one wants that, or at least no dead people ever complained so we don't know how that experience will be, but most of us will find out in due time.

I have had this backache for about six months. Most people have backaches because we were designed wrong, kind of like seahorses.
    I just figured my back ache was a muscle thing, but I am retired and it's not like I have been throwing Supermodels up on my shoulders to impress them. I actually never did that and Supermodels don't weigh enough to hurt your back anyway.
    So after the 6 months my back is getting worse and I went to a lung doctor to see if it was a lung thing because it is higher on my back than normal, run of the mill backaches. Luckily, it is not my lungs. The lung guy, (or pulmonologist) said I have so much asbestos in my lungs that I could probably run through a burning house and nothing would happen to me. The asbestos is not affecting me right now because all the Agent Orange in there has it encapsulated which is fine.
    He says I need to go to a muscular/skeleton guy.
    I need an MRI.

I get an appointment with this Doctor and I like him very much. I bring the MRI and he says, OMG all the nerves in your lumbar region are inflamed and your disks are bulging. That is fairly normal for a guy who worked construction for forty years. I am sure accountants, lawyers, and people who make those little things on the ends of your shoelaces also get this, but I am only talking about me right now, let them write their own story.

(By the way, This story is going to be very anticlimactic as nothing exciting is going to happen. I figured I would mention that in case you don't want to read any more.)

He says he thinks he can fix this, temporarily anyway, but I will have it for the rest of my life. At my age, that will probably not be that long anyway so I am not worried.
    He wants to stick needles in my spine and inject me with Grand Marnier. Or something that sounds very much like that. If that doesn't work, he will stick me with a larger dose and if that doesn't work, a larger dose. I said, why not stick me with the whole bottle of the stuff right away and forget about all the Sissy stuff in between. Maybe you can force it in there with a funnel and a plunger.
    He didn't like that idea because I would imagine, this way he can charge my insurance three or four times. I also don't think he knew what a plunger was.
    Anyway, if that doesn't work, he will give me an epidural, like they give pregnant ladies. I don't feel pregnant and I thought that was only a temporary pain thing for the Mother but what do I know!
    I will let you know how it goes, I may enjoy the journey.
    (I told you it was anticlimactic)
    [​IMG]

15. Paul B

Paul B

I received the new copper toilet bowl float and I aged it last night because it comes shiny copper and that is not the look I am looking for. Now it has a nice patina on it with green streaks.
    I also have a much larger tesla globe which will be a quarter of the fish. I hope to build this one more elaborate as I have a little more experience and more stuff, gears and such.
    I will post pictures as I make the thing.

As for my reef, I thought I was missing a flasher wrasse but I found her hiding place. She hangs out on the top of the tank behind the three UG filter tubes. The only time a fish would hide there is when they are bullied so I assume the other one is chasing her up there whenever she comes out. I can't be sure because she never comes out. Now that I know where she is, at least I can feed her but I am not sure how long she can live there. There is no way to catch her so I doubt she will live long.

Every thing else looks fine

16. Paul B

Paul B

Today I got 2 new fish. One is something that is the size of a clown gobi but has a poisonous spine and is polka dotted. I forgot what it is. I also got a new Possum wrasse. Now out of the 25 or so fish I have probably 8 of them are hiders and I will only see them once a year around the third of October about 2 or 3:00 in the afternoon. I don't really care if I see the fish or not as long as I know they are in there, or at least were in there. I once had a beautiful cusk eel for 18 years and almost never saw it. I killed it by accident when I removed some rock from the tank, and he was in it. I never fed it or took it out to dinner but occasionally if I went down stairs in the dark with a flashlight, (possibly searching for Supermodels) I would see him sneaking around the back of the tank.
    Now I have cling fish, possum wrasses, perchlet, flasher wrasse, possibly a garden eel, a weird white pipefish and 3 or 4 others which I have no idea if they are still there, on the floor or went on vacation.
    Those types of fish are my favorites. Anyone can have a clownfish that sits in front of the tank starring at you or an angelfish. The sea and heaven is full of angels. I go for the oddballs. I once dated a girl who looked like a flounder because any body can date a beautiful girl. The good thing about dating a girl that looks like a flounder is that if she swims away, Who cares! :001_cool:

(Actually the girl who looked like a flounder did dump me, I guess that's because I look like a hermit crab. :( )

Last edited: 5 Jun 2017
    Vleis Visagie likes this.
  17. EFJ

EFJ Moderator MASA Contributor

Great read as always:lol:

18. Paul B

Paul B

This morning my wife and I were discussing how we lived when we were much younger and how the world has changed. My Dad and her Dad had retail stores. My dad had a fish market and just like her dad and everyone with a food market there was piles of saw dust on the floor. The cutting boards were wood, the knife handles were wood and the fish, and meat came in wooden crates as plastic was not available then. I am talking about the fifties.
    I used to play in the back yard of our fish market and shoot flies with a rubber band. We also had live carp and eels in old bath tubs.
    At the end of the week my Dad would sweep the floor and throw out all the old, fish scale infested sawdust and put down clean sawdust. Every night he would clean, using soap and bleach the knives and cutting boards.

Today, you are not allowed to use saw dust, wooden handled knives or cutting boards probably because of lawyers. I am sure someone, some where got sick and saw dust was blamed just like coffee can't be hot any more.
    But it was the saw dust, cutting boards and wooden knife handles as well as numerous other things that enhanced our immune systems.
    I was always an out doors kid and cut myself many times. I would rinse it off in a puddle or pond and go about my business never thinking about it.
    I had an uncle that worked at the docks in NYC, one of the roughest places on Earth at that time. He got stabbed in the belly twice when 3 guys tried to mug him. (the muggers didn't fare very well) My Uncle wrapped the wounds in the same rag he cleaned eels with and lived to be about 90 never seeing a doctor or dentist in his life.
    When my Mom would get a cold as a kid, her Mother would make her sleep in the horse stables thinking the smell of horse poop would cure her. (my Mom was born in lower Manhattan in 1910) My Mother lived to be 99 years old, she died of old age and was never sick and never even took an aspirin. How many people today could say that?

The point of this is that today how many kids do you know with allergies? How many kids are allergic to peanuts? How many kids are home from school with colds?
    How many people in their 60s or 70s can you name with allergies?
    Probably very few. As a kid no one in my school had any allergies and we all ate peanuts. I always got an attendance award because I was never out sick. I think in the 40 years I worked as a construction worker in Manhattan I was out maybe 3 or 4 times from being sick and never for having a cold, allergy or anything else except maybe a broken bone or disk problem.
    That is IMO because I was brought up in a natural environment surrounded by bacteria and never having access to that silly sterilizing hand spray that people today feel they have to take baths in.
    I still almost never get a cold, flu or any silly infection.
    The little kids in My Grand Daughter's school almost all have some sort of allergy. My Grand Daughter is allergic to everything and half the kids in her school are allergic to something. Peanuts are outlawed in many restaurants and schools.
    Kids today, (Like fish) get all sorts of things and in some homes it is an adventure waking up to see if the kids have some sort of infection.

I feel this is a big problem in our fish tanks and the biggest cause of all the posts on disease threads.
    This is also why I go to a muddy bay and collect mud to throw in my tank. If I didn't live by the sea, I would throw regular dirt in there as I did when I started my tank.
    I also feel we have to start thinking of bacteria as a good thing instead of a bad thing.
    Just my thoughts of course and not meant to be taken as fact. Just an observation that is obvious to anyone who is a lot older than most fish people.

[​IMG]

zayd, erratiC and r0ckf1re like this.
  19. Paul B

Paul B

I think my male Bangai cardinal is finally going to die of old age. I really thought he would die six months ago with his mate but he is still looking great. But he stopped eating and that is the first sign of dying of old age.
    I will see how long he hangs on. I am thinking a week but I did say that before and he rallied and kept on living.
    [​IMG]

linksar and vetpret like this.
  20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Awwww, hang in there little guy. Remind us again how old he is?

21. Paul B

Paul B

I think he is 4 or 5. Could be 6 but I don't think so as I lost his birth certificate. They have a very short lifespan. He still looks great but isn't eating. He did this once before so maybe he is on Jenny Craig.

viper357 likes this.

Recent Posts