40 Year Old Tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by SchyffS, 13 Jul 2010.

1. Paul B

Paul B

That little orange pygmy hawkfish comes out "near" the front now. I am not sure why he is getting over his fear of other company as he is not bad looking. My male bluestripe disappears for a week at a time and I always think I lost him, but again, today he came out in the front, smiling and pregnant as always. For a few days I couldn't find one of my bangai cardinals or my clingfish. I really don't know where these fish go and why they go there. But today after a nice meal of clams and blackworms, they all showed up. It looks like my bangai has a mouth full of eggs which is why he can stay hidden as he doesn't have to eat. My tank is not that big but it is 6' long and built into a wall under a staircase so about 3/4s of the back of the tank I don't have access to and never know what goes on back there. They may be having a Hoedown or flea market but whatever they do, they stay there for a week at a time. There is food everywhere in my tank because I don't believe in sterility. I am also not one to worry if I dump things in from the sea as I don't have to quarantine because I keep my fish immune. (Yes I realize many people think I am lucky, it is what it is) But having a little mulm and algae in some places in the tank goes a long way in keeping fish healthy. Especially if you want to keep mandarins, bleenies and pipefish. That stuff you buy commercially to feed them once a day is often not enough so it is nice to have someplace for them to hunt and maybe find a snack. I also realize many of us worry about nitrates and such. I think we should get over that if we want healthy fish. Deal with nitrates separately if you care about that, but don't starve your fish as most fish in captivity are starving. Like I always say, healthy fish are spawning fish as fish in the sea "always" spawn. I mean constantly. And if they are not in spawning condition, they are not very healthy as that is a totally un natural condition for any fish to be in. Unless of course it is a male. Then he should be chasing girls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben Young likes this.
  2. Guest

3. EFJ

EFJ Moderator MASA Contributor

Maybe when the lights go out you should check for some flashing disco lights in the back, maybe a night club or a disco going on in there. :lol:

4. Paul B

Paul B

I bet that's it. :1:

5. Paul B

Paul B

My arrow crab has a little nose cyano problem.

[​IMG]

6. Paul B

Paul B

Fireclowns spawned again last night. I think they spawn every month or five weeks.
    I don't get to excited when clowns spawn because they will spawn by eating cardboard as long as you put a picture of a worm on it.
    I am a little excited that he is about 25 years old and she is about 17 or so. I really don't know how long they live but it's probably around 30 years.
    [​IMG]

Ben Young likes this.
  7. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

I always look forward to your posts and pics. Thank you for sharing.

This clowns are stunning.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  8. EFJ

EFJ Moderator MASA Contributor

Arrow crab looks cool. Those clowns are beauties.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 May 2016
  9. Paul B

Paul B

Thanks. Those are fireclowns, a breed we rarely see. I have only seen them twice before. They are not the best looking clowns. I got the large male as a baby and I thought it was a red hawkfish.

10. Paul B

Paul B

I spent 8 days in the Caribbean and my tank is fine, maybe even better than when I left. I think my fish like my Supermodel tank sitter better than they like me. (I don't blame them)
    She doesn't know anything about fish but I make it very easy for her.
    Before I go, I make up individual portions of frozen food and put it in small containers. They are actually film containers but I realize most people on here were born last Tuesday and don't know what film is, but it is like Scotch tape and pictures stich to it.
    Anyway, I make up enough food for a feeding every other day. Every day would be better but I don't want to push my luck by asking her to come over every day and I don't want my fish to get to used to looking at her.
    In the containers I put some Mysis, clam, and live blackworms.
    I built this frozen food feeder/defroster thing in about five minutes and use it every time I go away. It's just a small powerhead that pumps water into a small container with holes in it.
    The Supermodel just has to take the frozen food from the refrigerator and dump it into the small container where it defrosts and gets distributed all over the tank. She doesn't have to mix it with water and all that or even wait for it to defrost. Just dump it in and leave.
    If she were to just put in the entire lump of frozen food, one or two fish would eat it all. My copperband would get most of it. This way, all the fish get to eat.

That device is fine for most of my fish but I also have mandarins, ruby red dragonettes and pipefish and they don't have any sense of humor and won't eat any of that frozen food so I designed an automatic vacation brine shrimp hatchery/feeder that will dispends eggs, hatch them and feed the tank for that time.
    There is a flake food feeder over a funnel that is at the top of the water which dispenses some brine shrimp eggs into the funnel. A small amount of water is also pumped into this funnel so that eventually the eggs sink into the hatchery where they hatch in about 36 hours and are attracted to the mesh on top.
    My fish lay on the thing all day and suck out shrimp. I have been using these two devices for a few years and never had any problems.

This is the defroster, dispenser thing.

11. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

How about some more info on making these devices..

12. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Oh, and pics of the carribean

13. Paul B

Paul B

I have mostly underwater pictures of the Caribbean.
    The pictures of that vacation feeder are in my book and I don't think I have any printed elsewhere but I can show you directions for making the normal mandarin feeder that I use every day. Many of my articles are on that site. You can search my name there. Maybe I do have the vacation feeder there, I am not sure. http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-target-feeder-mandarinfish-pipefish-2804/

This is me
    [​IMG]

and of course this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oliver and tekkengal like this.
  14. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Nice pics. Thanks, will find them. Appreciate the help.

15. Paul B

Paul B

This guy stopped eating today which means he will molt in a day or two. Not a minute to soon as he is becoming to be covered in some algae and a little cyano.
    After he molts I will look for a female for him to date as I want them to mate.
    I have had arrow crabs mate a few times and it just seems right to get him a girlfriend to try to impress. I got him as a baby and I think he is now ready.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Paul B

Paul B

That arrow crab shed as I knew he would and now he is much larger. So much larger that I am afraid to go to sleep at night as he has been looking at me funny lately with those beady little eyes.
    I think he is mad that it is taking me so long to find a suitable mate for him but I am looking for a real cute one, sort of like a Crab Supermodel, so it is taking a while. I find that crabs seem to live forever and that the only time one would die is right after they shed and another creature finds them tasty. I am sure the numerous bristleworms I have smell him and chase him around right after he sheds. If he sheds on the gravel, they will surround him and possibly trip him so that when he falls down, they put him in a Ricky Nelson.
    (Full Nelson for you young uns)
    I also have some large hermit crabs that I got the size of a pea. Those too live forever and I lost a pair a few years ago that were about 12 years old. They died a week apart.
    [​IMG]

These guys lived to 12 years old. The female is the cute one with the above the knee shell and blue eye stalks.

[​IMG]

These local New York rock crabs you can collect here all over the place. They grow to about the size of a baseball in a year so you can't keep them to long.

[​IMG]

17. Paul B

Paul B

It seems that my clownfish spawn almost exactly every 30 days that I notice. They may spawn twice as much as that but I don't notice. The bluestripe pipefish are harder to tell because the male always seems to be pregnant. The mandarins sometimes go through spawning every couple of weeks to a month or more. It is very hard to tell because those, and most fish spawn just before the lights go out. Bangai cardinals need a lot of food to spawn and it is hard to feed them enough in a mixed reef tank. Them, like Moorish Idols lose length on their dorsal fin when they don't eat enough and they will stop spawning. The two adults I have can probably eat more by themselves than all 20 of the rest of my fish with the copperband being second. If I fed them as much as I really should, they would spawn every couple of weeks like they are supposed to but I just can't put that much food in the tank every day or I would be changing the water twice a day. Feeding correctly is always hard in a tank full of corals. My nitrates are already way to high but I really want all my fish to spawn so my SPS will just have to get over it. This has always been a problem and as you know, fish grow. And sometimes they grow much larger than we would like.

[​IMG]

Brendan6 likes this.
  18. Paul B

Paul B

Clingfish I think he is much cooler than a boreing clownfish or tang

[​IMG]

r0ckf1re likes this.
  19. Paul B

Paul B

Today I noticed my tank had only the blue LEDs lit. My new water cooled home made fixture had a problem. It has worked flawless since I built it but I used old LEDs from an old fixture so I figured at some point there would be an issue. I tired to fix it while it was on the tank but that was difficult because it was hard to test each LED while suspended over the tank and I really didn't want to remove it because it is 6' long and connected to a water pump and radiator. Luckily when I built it I installed unions so I could fairly easily remove it and the electrical parts unplugged. So I drained it and removed it from the tank so I could work on it on my workbench. It took over an hour to repair because two LEDs were faulty. If it was only one it is a lot easier because it is just a question of testing each one in series, but when more than one is bad, it adds some technical issues. I replaced the two bad LEDs and re-glued some reflectors that came off. I also cleaned and polished the splash guard which needed to be done anyway so now it is as good as new. Until another one goes out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jun 2016
  20. Paul B

Paul B

I have been looking for this little pipe for weeks and couldn't find him. I figured he croaked. But he came out all smiling and happy looking. Who would have thought?
    [​IMG]

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Got a Mandarin November last year. Think I spotted it since then less than 10 times and then just quick glimpses. Last time was more than a month ago. Popped out for like 5 minutes last night just before lights out.

So yes, they are hide and seek champions.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2016

Recent Posts