4 common clowns in one tank?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Jakkie, 2 Nov 2009.

1. Jakkie

Jakkie

Hi I have 2 baby nemo's in my tank of 437 liters of water. The nemo's is plus minus 2cm long. Will it be possible for me to put in 2 other nemos that is 6cm long with this 2 babys. All of them is the common clowns.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

I dont see a problem. Just be careful.

Maybe confuse them a little and leave the lights off a little.

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Just a heads up on this one guys, I had 2 x 4cm clowns (percs) and added 2 x 6cm percs that came with crispins old nennie in my 550L tank and all hell broke loose...... I am not saying it cant be done but imo it is touch and go, if you get it right you will not be in the majority. if the larger pair has truely paired off then you will have issues i think

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

I Had 3 clowns in my tank with no problems...

6. Jakkie

Jakkie Thread Starter

Thanks I think I am going to try that.

7. S2

S2

They should be fine because they are smaller i did the same a while back but if they do start fighting switch the lights off and rearrange the rock work.

8. Zuna

Zuna

ive got 5 clowns in my tank and only one is aggressive.
    2 percs
    2 clarkii
    1 maroon

9. crispin

crispin

so its the maroon thats aggressive then zuna?

As Niel says if a mated set of clowns is introduced they can cause huge havoc with other clowns in that tank already. However in Niels case, the pair i sold him with that nennie were spawning and were moved with their host annenome, so they attacked from a posstion of strength and they resident pair had to be removed.

I have seen a 240l tank in lillehammer with 8 common clowns all introduced at once and no issues in the past 8 months. Not a good situation i dont think, but a n umber of common clowns can be kept together if you wanted to.

Zuna just a little note, the maroon and tommato clowns are known to be very aggresive is comparison to other clown species.

If its just commons all going in together then I think you would be ok.

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would heed caution as well, maroons and tomatos are the rottweillers of clowns, but then it also depends on the temprament of the fish, just keep an eye out and watch for distress in other fish

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

there is a well documented case in the states of "27 clowns in one tank for 27 months" however these were all from the same hatch of fish if i remember the article correctly.... If any of these paired off i would suspect agression would take over....

As crispin said the maited pair in my tank attached the smaller pair, and they attached from a position of strength in the nennie

12. Zuna

Zuna

not to worry ive transfered him to a diferent tank

Recent Posts