4 Chambers

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by JS, 8 Feb 2012.

1. JS

JS

HI All

I want to fill my tank this weekend and get the cycle going....just need some advice.

The 4 chambers/compartments at the back of the tank....what do I put in them for now?

Currently I have:

Cham 1: Protien Skimmer
    Cham 2: Nothing
    Cham 3: Nothing (except for heater)
    Cham 4: Return Pump and UV light.

Where do I put things like filter floss etc etc.....

Do I have to have the heater on during cycle and if so, what temp?

Regards

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

For your first day just leave the tank running with the salt water and the heater on. The lights arent necessary as there is nothing for it to do. Get your temperature to a stable 25-27 degrees and check the salinity is ok. You can now add your sand (well washed) and live rock. Remember your water level will rise from the water displacement so you will have to remove the excess water. You do this to keep your salinity stable as the water will evaporate over time and increase your salinity. Maybe mark a corner of your tank to indicate your water level and top up your tank with RO water when it drops. At this point you can add some floss to the first chamber and turn your skimmer on. Your skimmer wont do much for the first week or two as it needs to run in and the cycle is a perfect opportunity for a skimmer to run in, and there is nothing really to skim. You can start adding bacteria additions like stability or prodibio. It sounds like you have a small tank so go for the stability. You can also start vodka dosing to boost and seed bacterial populations and spped up the cycle. You can add a seachem product called matrix whihc is a medium for holding your bio filter and for denitration. I would personally leave the UV light and leave it for when you have sick fish. Can you not move you skimmer to another chamber or is it built in. Leave your first chamber for the filter floss.

Test your ammonia after a day or two and get a benchmark figure and test it every 2-3 days to see if it's increasing or decreasing. Once you ammonia hits zero you can add your clean up crew which is probably a snail and possibly two hermits depending on their size. You could possibly add a small fish. Nitrite is not toxic to marine fish. Dont add a single schooling fish like an anthia or chromis as they like company and company at this stage is dangerous to your tank as you need a stable bio filter. They will also antagonise later additions of the same species. Once you have added your fish and CUC you can feed a tiny amount and get your light cycle going so they get used to the day/night cycle. Check you ammonia and be ready to add an ammonia remover should you detect the smallest amount. Seachem amguard is good and no I'm not a rep for seachem.

4. JS

JS Thread Starter

Thank you Tony :) Appreciate the response.
    I can move the protein skimmer to another chamber....

I will give this a bash and keep you posted!

Cheers

5. JS

JS Thread Starter

Hi

So I filled it with FSW, and had it running for about 24hrs. I then added about 10kg of Aragonite (the course one) mixed with a 4kg bag of Arag-alife. The combination looks insane....very happy. It took about 2hrs to clear the water again, at this point I added about 5kg of LR - will be getting more this week.

6. Tony

Tony

Cool bananas. Keep us posted

7. Mc

Mc

Sounds like its going well.:)
    Will be looking foward to some pics and seeing how it progresses.

8. JS

JS Thread Starter

Hi All

Just an update. Day 12 of the cycle now, and the tank if full of life at night....amphipods and copepods.....I have been testing parameters and all is well, not sure, but it will probably still change??

Will start a thread over the weekend with pics etc to track progress.....

Cheers

9. juan R

juan R

Hi JS, sounds like all is going well. makes me want to start another tank.:)

10. Mc

Mc

That always good to hear hope it stays that way.:)

11. brentv

brentv

JS a few things that will help at the moment.
    To increase your bacteria and make your tank very stable so it doesn't spike to much with Nitrites in the innitial first few months you should dose a product called special blend or aquaria nitrifiying bacteria. both are available at good Pet Shops!

Need some pics of your sump to see how it works, but Skimmer will be good in first chamber.
    The following few chambers you could possibly do something of a biological filter like a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) and Macro Algie (Chaeto) to sort out issues like Nitrates and Phoshates respectively. You will need a light in the sump chamber running opposite to your Display Tank (DT) lights to keep your PH stable!

There are also mechanical ways of doing this like NP Pellet Reactor & Phosphate reactors. Both options work! Please do some research on this site and you will decide what is going to work for you!

12. JS

JS Thread Starter

Here is a pic of tank....on this pic the base rock was still very "white", starting to see some growth on them too....will update soon.

[​IMG]

13. JS

JS Thread Starter

Hi

Can somebody tell me if I need to change the filter floss at the back while cycling? Or should i leave it untouched for the remainder of the cycle?

Thanks

14. Tony

Tony

You can change the floss if it gets dirty. Extremely dirty floss can impede water flow.

Recent Posts