3000-int or 3000-ext BB

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Seabass, 30 Dec 2011.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Hi all, I have pmed a couple of people and even called some for advice wrt a new skimmer.

My issue is no3 and po4 eradication on my 540 l system. Currently run a orca 100 rated for about 600 to 750 l depending which site I look at. So want to give it the boot.

For me the best option would be between the following two, I just don't understand why there is a R 2000 difference between the two as the specs seem identical, int being cheaper.

Can anybody explain the price difference. Is it just because it is a new range?
    Anybody love/hate these skimmers.
    From what I have read these are great skimmers.
    What are the dimensions of both.
    Is there a possible error on the site, is the int referring to internal and ext referring to external, as I read the product description on the site both say in-sump, but that could be the reason for the difference in price. I think it is a printing error.

From the Waterboy site.
    3000-INT Bubble Blaster In-Sump Skimmers with Bubble Plate Pump: HY-3000 Chamber: 200mm Rating: 1200 L

3000-EXT Bubble Blaster In-Sump Skimmers with Bubble Plate Pump: HY-3000 Chamber: 200mm Rating: 1200 L

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

external skimmers are as far as I remember always more expensive ;)

Ridwaan likes this.
  4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Maybe @SRS777 can give some advice on this?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

6. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

I have discussed skimmers with him, suggested a number of suitable skimmers one was the reef octopus 2000, but I want a bigger one.

I think I have read the site advert incorrectly. Both are called in-sump, but int is the one places in the sump and ext is a external of the sump.

I have a number of sps that just don't grow, but then again my phos levels of 0,28ppm Hanna will not let them grow. Also tested on salifert yesterday and was at least 0,25 ppm. Just been a endless effort to get phos levels in check.

So new skimmer I hope will help.
    In addition I have ordered rowa phos, rowa carbon, brightwells phosE (liquid phos remover), gravel siphoned my dsb's top layer and the display tank. I also added two power-heads to sump in order to suspend detritus. I dose biodigest and Bioptim, also run NP pellets. Will also be upping the NP pellet reactor size and add more pellets.

7. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

Got the BB3000 int. Struggled for quite some time to get it skimming effectively on my 700 l system. I keep phosphates below 0.02 and nitrates below 5 with heavy skimming, special blend and 4ml vodka every day.

8. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I can offer you a Deltec TC2060 or ATB Deluxe if you interested?

9. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

What are you using for Calcium and ALk supplementation?
    Have you tried kalk?, as it precipitates phosphates...

I see that you are using bio pellets, how much flow is going through this reactor?
    Whats your tank size and how much pellets is int he reactor?

10. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Shot, you must be happy with those results, I forgot about special blend.

11. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

No thanks on those two skimmers, mind set on reef octo.

Flow through is 1000l and have a TLF 100 reactor with 500 grams, going to at least double that and use a TLF 150 reactor for the pellets. My tank is 540 lt.

12. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

I use tropic marine bio cal to supp alk and cal. I have a kalk reactor running.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2011
  13. Adee

Adee

Pierre, I run two of the RO 5000 Ext's...both work like a charm.

Not to side track your thread/thoughts....my idea of filtration is that the skimmer always take last place in terms of what I need to do to effectivley keep nitrate and phos in check. By that I mean focus on the addition of other methods like DSB, LR, ATS, Refuge, probiotics, etc. The skimmer is just the cherry ontop of the cake, that will round off your filtration efforts.

If you battling with space to house these things, then I would suggest even running a skimmer that is rated for 2000L plus (like the RO5000), then vodka dosing with it should take care of the rest.

14. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation, currently buying a light for the chaeto in my sump above the DSB. Will run this on reverse of DT. I did ask on reefcentral on the skimmer thread about the 5000, it was my first choice but was told its too big. Will Research over the weekend and order in the new year then.

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Also a bit off track, but to comment on what Adrian has said already...maybe we can brainstorm here with Pierre as his main focus is the lowering of his phosphates and nitrates.

What I said to him was that a new skimmer was needed as one that is underrated is not helping his cause at all, I am one of those people that is of the school of mind that you should always get the biggest skimmer you can afford and always rated a minimum of double your system volume. His current DSB I feel is too small in his tank to be doing any good and if anything is hindering things...If memory serves me right there is no ATS or Refugium attached to the system...not sure if he has space for a ATS, maybe a small cabinet next to the tank to house one is an idea?

I would follow adrians advice and go with a BIG skimmer and vodka dose, but if you going to vodka dose then remove the DSB.

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Where is @leslie hempel in this conversation...he is the skimmer master after all and knows Pierres system as well, he could definately give some worth while advice here.

17. Adee

Adee

I see Mark was typing faster than me...IMHO a skimmer can never be to big, it can only really take out whats in the water column. If your tank gets to a sterile condition as in ULNS, it just won't skim as much...thats when things start coming into its own, as now you start overfeeding the tank, fish are fat, they poop, that feeds corals, what is not eaten by corals gets to be skimmed out hopefully before it becomes a phos or nitrate fuel. The other filitration efforts are there to help maintain that balance, more so they are the main weights that keep that balance.

18. Adee

Adee

The biggest impact to lowering phos levels in my system was growing and maintaing a chaeto ball. It sucks phos big time from my system. I would caution on placing cheato above a DSB, if you can, rather plumb in a tank just for chaeto....knock a hole in the wall and plumb it outside, grow the stuff under the sun....will take some out of the box thinking. I'm not a fan of fluidised media to absorb the likes of Phos, then again I've just added a Rowaphos to my system, experimenting again as usual my phos was already at 0.00ppm (hanna) prior to doing this. Could be a worth while (pricey though) though for you.

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

pierre what are you wanting to achieve, you seem to have all the acess to the goodies but a lack in direction..

you need to fulfil the basics before you can teak the advanced settings..

dont chase parameters as you will never be satisfied with the result..

a good branded skimmer (i say branded because boyus and jebos just dont cut it) and no matter what anybody says i feel Tunze is best known for their pumps not their skimmers so having had a Tunze skimmer means nothing.. ;)

what are you feeding and how often? you may be the cause of the phos and not even know it..

oh and get rid of the DSB.. its not doing anything for you im positive of that as its far to small to be efficient... and may be part of the problem..

20. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Hi Leslie

I have to agree that i have alot of goodies but non are working, or at least what I have tried to get no3 down below 5 and po4 down below 0,05 ppm.

Even though I have been advised to remove my dsb I just don't want to do this. So I have been warned. But yes I might have to remove it. I can then put a massive skimmer in that chamber. I use NSW for water changes so a big skimmer is even more important to me. And the np pellets also require a big skimmer.

I don't agree with the don't chase parameters, I want to get my levels down and then maintain the most beneficial levels I have set as my targets based on what other successful reefers have done. Po4 of 0,28ppm will not cut it in a setup with alot of sps. They survive but don't grow at such high po4 levels. So I feel that I must chase parameters, reach my targets and maintain those levels.

I currently only feed pellets mixed with tetra bits once a day. One block of defrosted rinsed frozen food about 3 - 4 times a week. I did overfeed in the past and realize that this is the cause of my problem, I was also target feeding corals but have stopped this practice.

I don't run my tunze, it just does not cut it, also it was damaged and performance is no good, yes for a 300l setup but no for a 540 lt setup.

Anyway shot for the feedback all.

21. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

get the external will give you better options and you can set the amount of flow that you want through it, with an external you could also have the biopellet reactor feed the skimmer

Recent Posts