3 Thermometers, 3 readings, which is right?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by PeterL, 14 Jun 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

This is really odd, I am trying to get my heaters adjusted to temp and it is impossible when I have 3 thermometers in my tank and all 3 are reading different temp. I took this pic yesterday after teh thermometers were next to one another since the night before, so it isn't like they have just been placed there. What are the suggestions and recommendations - before someone posts it, I can't afford to spend R1500 on a digital thermometer.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Mmmmmm looks like the bigger the unit the higher the temperature ... What have you got the heaters set at?

4. lIghty

lIghty

probably all wrong, really spend some money on a decent unit.

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

The alcohol thermometer is the right one.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Agree with manic chances are the alcohol thermometer is right. the digital ones are not calibrated right.

7. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Put the thermometer you use under your arm or your tongue. It should show around 36°C. If it shows less or more, add or deduct the difference to your actual tank temparture and you know from now the almost exact temperature.
    For accurate results, put your thermometer there, where the sun is not shining.;)

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

MWAHAHAHA!!!!:lol::lol::lol:
    I haven't laughed like that in a long time LuckyFish...

Unfortunately I don't have a "control valve", it is uni-directional, check valve - it keeps a good check to see that direction are STRICTLY adhered to - :p

I will give the armpit idea a go and see what happens. I have a pretty accurate digital hmal thermometer but it only starts reading at I think 30 or 32deg, I tried it in the tank and it didn't even register. I will report back on the results of the experiment

9. lIghty

lIghty

Really interesting, never thought of that.

Stuart, there's a job you could do if the engineering doesn't work out...:lol:

10. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

WHOOHOO - I didn't have to make like an Auzzie and "go down under" with my thermometer. The armpit experiment work perfectly. The digital human thermometer I have read my Temp at 36.4deg and the alchahol read 36 and a bit, I had to put it under my toung to get it to read as accurate as possible and was twisting like a retard in front of the mirror to try read it. The moment I took it out my mouth is started dropping temp reading so the proof of it is that the digital and alchahol thermometer read very close to the same.

I guess 25-26deg is ok for the tank??

11. LuckyFish

What is so funny about it? I needed accurate results. So I got two (the same) thermometers, which I use to calibrate shower-thermostats.
    The thermometers are made in Germany. But rather I prove it myself. I needed the accurate temperature in my tanks, so now I know when I am getting in to danger in summer.

I put the thermometer under my arm, my tongue, I peed over it and I put it there where the sun s not shining. This was my last test as I want to avoid to put it first in my backside and then under my tongue.;)

12. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Alrighty then, that just cracks me up...:lol::lol:
    I will trust under my toung and under my armpit as a detailed enough test, I hardly want to add to the detritus in my DT - I am attempting to keep it to a minimum.:thumbup:

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Luckyfish, how do you read the temp where the sun do not shine? Do you ask somebody to help? :whistling:

PeterL, next time wife or kids feel sick, you know what to do...:)

14. LuckyFish

Speed my friend, speed!;)

15. lIghty

lIghty

Hell, I would have just bought another before putting it where the sun don't shine.

Hope you marked that one, as to not stick it in your mouth the next time you need to check temps again.... Also, PLEASE don't sell it here on MASA!!!!!:lol:

16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Peter, just out of curiosity, what make of heaters have you got and what temp are they set at?

:lol::lol::lol:

17. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Viper, ummm, I don't know and...I don't know...
    That is so vague.

I don't know the make of the heaters and the temparature on the one I know is at 28deg and the other I have just turned down to 25 deg (was at 27deg). For some random reason, I have had to gas up my heaters quite a lot, even in summer, to get the temp up on the water opposed to what I have noticed with many guys using chillers to reduce their DT temp. I am the opposite in that I can't get my temp up and when I do, I can get it to stabalise. It stays OK for a week or two and then I need to adjust a heater accordingly - very painfull but not many choices right now because I certainly can't afford a chiller or an alternate R3000 temparature control system with relays and who knows what all else.

18. seank

seank

:lol: :lol:

19. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I just can't get over the idea of going into the exit - if the thermometer is going to read 36.6 or 36.4 degrees, no one cares, so the accuract from under my toung is going to have to just be OK.

20. LuckyFish

Peter, what was now the real temperature?
    The alcohol one was accurate?
    I mean, if I would have used the left Boyu and set my breeding set up to 29 degrees, I would have a real temperature of 33 degrees. If it would be the other way around and the thermometer would show a higher temperature, I would run my system with 25 degrees. Both settings would have an negative impact.
    There you can see, you can´t trust these things as many others things in this hobby, too.

21. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

The Alchahol one was dead accurate at 25.5-26 deg C, to within about 0.2degrees, difficult to guage accurately on a bar.

I based it against another digital I have and they both showed identical readings so I have removed the other 2 Boyu thermometers as they are both way off the mark.

The reading in my tank is shown in my original post - can trust the slchahol one for sure.

Recent Posts