2una's Rsm 650 mixed reef

Reaction score
I love those clown triggers....But hell mine is making a big mess. Mine think his a sandsifting goby:m85:
That's pretty interesting, this one atm don't pay much attention to the sandbed at all, more interested in rockwork. but i got a coris wrasse that kinda owns that sand zone so possibly why. What's yours doing blowing it?

@2una and I still need some of those acro frags :m06::tt2:
Hi Josh - there's like 3 stags i'm moving out now - that jumbo one above & 2 other smaller ones, but moving them whole if i can

Reaction score
That's pretty interesting, this one atm don't pay much attention to the sandbed at all, more interested in rockwork. but i got a coris wrasse that kinda owns that sand zone so possibly why. What's yours doing blowing it?
yeah blowing it and digging around for stuff. he likes moving stuff around. And the consequences is the sand land all over the rocks....lol

Reaction score
yeah blowing it and digging around for stuff. he likes moving stuff around. And the consequences is the sand land all over the rocks....lol
Ok,yeah that's what my coris does,will even dive in it then swim to stir it up sometimes,i lifted up to a heavier grade to try stop him making so much mess, its better but does still move

Reaction score
Figured it was time to check up on my RODI unit
membrane in = 160 tds
membrane out = 34 tds
new membrane fitted = 14 tds so that should back my di resin burning rate down some.

Other little investigation:
Q)What does a RO canister insert hold of DI resin versus the pods?
A) about 3 times as much

32826896608_365fc1626d_z.jpg

Seems the screen is also fine enough that a sponge insert ain't needed in the bottom either so bye bye pods & on with a canister i think

RiaanP

Reaction score
I need to replace my DI resin. And I got two of those canisters with these inserts unused, laying on the top shelf. Hmm, I might as well do the same conversion.

Reaction score
So i got fed up with a reactor full of siporax that i've been running for a year with no result from.Had 11 L/hour flow going thru it, 20L siporax.
Pre xmas no direct carbon feeding.....since xmas been stepping up what i was adding to it.
No result & i was thinking of pulling it offline & then thought let me see what happens if i lower the 02 level in it.
Tank No3 about 8ppm.....Po4 about 0.08/0.09ppm
So i stuck a mv controller on the reactor which turns on/off the delivery pump & crank the mv level down to minus 80 area.(low o2)
Prior it was sitting more or less tank mv +300 sorta thing

Reactor results the next day

46915796941_889da492b3.jpg

no3 - nada - zero

BUT
BUT
BUT

BUT

check this out

46863761642_50e16a913f.jpg

Po4 - also nada - zero

If this was nopox i was feeding as carbon source the no3 might be zero but my po4 would have been the same as my tank po4.

So from there i've had to back it off & now trying to dial it in to somewhere it will play nice (hoping it will)

The carbon source product: - Tropic Marin Elimi NP

Don't even know if its sold here - Mailed the SA Tropic Marin reseller & got no reply so i'm guessing maybe not.
BUT it looks like there is a carbon source that will also knock Po4 back, whether it will balance out nice remains to be seen.

I originally thought it maybe added No3 to put extra weight on Po4 but mailed TM Germany asking & was told a definite no on that.
Could be lanthanum or could be iron Po4 binder but i don't think so as changing levels lately i'm not seeing more Po4 disappear as i add more product so SEEMS like its a bacterial po4 eater/feeder

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't bet your house on the results of a Red Sea PO test kit. Mine was showing zero PO the other day but one of my acro's was browning out a bit so I went and got a hanna test. PO 0,1 on the Hanna. Which looking at the brown acro I believe to me a more realistic result.

Previous Red Sea PO kit had a similar issue, thought it was just old. So bought a new Red Sea Kit, same result. They seem to under read significantly.

Suspect Salifert etc would also not compare to the Hanna test but I have not test the Salifert one against the Hanna.

I like the red sea kits but the PO one has been useless 2 kits in a row for me.

Reaction score
Oh really - jeez....I've given up with hanna & po4. Red sea these have been ok for me since they switched to the black box, even versus icp they seem to say something just a little lower unless its my testing error.I find they do expire out & need to be watched tho,I get very nervous with red sea kits if they keep saying the same thing.
Will do some double checking tho thanks

Reaction score
Perhaps I have just had 2 lemons in a row. I rate the other Red Sea test kits.

I also thought the new one with the little dropper would be an improvement. I'm a bit bummed at the prospect of buying a 3rd one to confirm if I was just unlucky and hit 2 lemons in a row.

Price of Hanna kits has come down. Low range Phosphorus checker is R2000.

Reaction score
I've got hanna - i don't like it - it changes too much between reagents & i have just gone to not even using it anymore as i don't trust it.
Redsea i also only like their no3 + po4 the rest i won't touch .
That what i posted above i'm pretty sure is good as 1 day i was 0.08 then the pics are reactor output reading 0 so i think its good.Since that was reducing things too fast i backed off carbon + redox & the levels rose up again which is another sign it "should" be ok
Salifert i cant do them with no3/po4 i just don't like.
Elos high res po4 is one reasonable alternative but its an import + they use a tall narrow vial which you need to be careful with, Elos is being sold here now so maybe a tap on those guys shoulders might work at them bringing some in.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Haven't tried any of there kits. I have learnt in this game that is sometimes best to buy the tried and trusted brand the 1st time even it it is double the price of "one that will do the same job because Bob who is a friend of Joe said so"

Have cupboards full of hardware to remind myself of that. I still don't listen to my own advice most of the time!!

Reaction score
Haven't tried any of there kits. I have learnt in this game that is sometimes best to buy the tried and trusted brand the 1st time even it it is double the price of "one that will do the same job because Bob who is a friend of Joe said so"

Have cupboards full of hardware to remind myself of that. I still don't listen to my own advice most of the time!!
LOl yep i hear you - that elos is pretty okay - has a lot of UK users that'll recommend it.....i'd believe it before i trusted hanna, just the tall narrow vials mean you need to be a bit careful with them.
high res card looks like so & its the lower set of numbers you use

33117886648_8c188e5131_z.jpg

Reaction score
Ran a little check here

Tank po4 - somewhere north of 0.08

33139462708_c213d3c21f.jpg

Reactor effluent Po4 - tad above 0.02 somewhere

33139467728_80e0dd40eb.jpg

so Elimi definitely doing it's job just need to get the flow increased to get the tank to register some change

Reaction score
Exotic aquarium sells all the tropic marine stuff. maybe give them a call to find out if they will ship.
even Wazeers in Boksburg sells most of the tropic marine range. can also try them.
if you dont come right with them let me know. Theres a petshop close to me i can also try...and if they have I can ship it for you.

Reaction score
Exotic aquarium sells all the tropic marine stuff. maybe give them a call to find out if they will ship.
even Wazeers in Boksburg sells most of the tropic marine range. can also try them.
if you dont come right with them let me know. Theres a petshop close to me i can also try...and if they have I can ship it for you.
Ok thanks, i'll give them a call now that i think i'll be sticking with it, was exotic i mailed back in september with no reply.
They maybe have the bacto balance rather than the elimi np but it works differently + adds some trace that one.
Exotic is the main SA Tropic Marin reseller/importer aren't they?

Reaction score
Was there the other day - they have a wide range of Tropic Marine stuff, looks like new stock as well. Maybe give a ring. Their is a guy there think his name is Steve, he is quiet knowledgeable.

Reaction score
Was there the other day - they have a wide range of Tropic Marine stuff, looks like new stock as well. Maybe give a ring. Their is a guy there think his name is Steve, he is quiet knowledgeable.
shot , they do have some there , you worked out who's telling porkies, mr redsea or mr hanna?

Reaction score
Lol well I went for a Hanna test today after 2 weeks of hard GFO tumbling. Now the Hannah and Red Sea are both in agreement - both say zero!

And my browned out Acro is starting to show signs of improvement. Think that particular Acro is the best PO test kit.

Reaction score
Mate of mine is using the Elos test kits....he reckons its the next best thing after bread.

Top Bottom