2nd marine tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by PierreJansen, 8 Nov 2014.

1. PierreJansen

PierreJansen

Good day everyone..so i m busy setting up my 2nd marine tank...first one was small and after a while decided to upgrade. Have a look at my profile and check out my tank under my albums and let me know what you think..still new to this hobby though..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. weezle

weezle

Howzit pierre
    That is a nice tank you have there, I like the lion fish too , why do you keep him in the sump?
    I See you have added some sea weed to your tank and sump. If I'm correct that is local sea weed from the ocean? If it is, it probably won't survive in your tank and might actually release toxins into your water whilst it dies and decomposes, I could be wrong here but I would remove it ASAP and if you looking for some algae for nutrient export purposes try asking a fellow reefer in your area for a bit of chaeto or calupra(not sure of the spelling) and this will grow nicely under some lights in your sump. I wouldn't recomend growing it in your display.
    Good luck with your tank bud

4. PierreJansen

PierreJansen Thread Starter

Hi Weezle, thanks for the reply!Yap my friend told me I must keep a good look on that sea weed(sea grass) ...he has been doing the reef thing for quite a while..and informed me its very difficult to get it to survive in a tank. I will do so, also collected some macro algae for my sump and will get some other species as well. I keep the lionfish in the sump because I bought a jellybean fish, and my lion would eat it..i actually want to keep not too many fish in my main display and also in my sump have proper lightning and keep an eel and lionfish...and a trigger...so i ll have a predator tank and a reef tank. The tank where the lion fish is in, isnt actually part of the sump but an extra tank I received. Decided to make this a deep sea sand bed and grow macro algae in that...and to make things more interesting maybe keep 2 or 3 predators in there..dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing though..

5. weezle

weezle

Howzit man
    Ya the trick with that sea grass is to try and get a small blade ot two that still has the root portion attached and berry the root in the sand, you then have to monitor it and see if it grows.
    The chances of it taking are slim, if it begins going white then you should remove it.
    What are you feeding your lion? I think putting a trigger in your sump is not a good plan as a trigger generally needs quite a large tank and lion fish are fast growers.
    What is the total water volume of your system, is the tank with the lion fish in it plumbed into your sump?
    Did you catch the lion yourself? Last year I caught one that had yellow stripes

6. PierreJansen

Yes Weezle! Yes my friend and I collected the grass from Richards Bay..he did get quite alot of grass with roots attached and I did bury them, will just see what happens, will not be a train smash if they do not make it. No the lion fish was the first fish I bought, its in an extra tank thats also connected to the main tank...the size of his tank is 50cms by 50cms by 40cms plus minus... well there goes my trigger fish plan, but im sure some triggers are reef safe, so will then add them to my display tank if I do decide to get some..where did you catch your lionfish? Planning to go to Cape Vidal sometime to go and collect fish or see if I can find some..

7. weezle

weezle

Hi Pierre, I caught my lion fish in the Transkei at a place called cofee bay, I try and go there every year in early December. Last year I found two pome's and nice sised racoon, also there are Zoe's and cleaner shrimp. I prefer to dive the river mouths for fish, I have seen a moorish idol whilst diving in the nahoon river in east London unfortunately I was unable to catch it. A Niger trigger fish is my favarout one I had one which out grew my 4foot and he never ate my corals.

8. PierreJansen

Ok cool..so you think its better to go down than up to Cape Vidal etc........I only went the other day for the 1st time to collect, but Im sure if I go to Cape Vidal I ll catch plenty of fish..just need to wait for low tide...I was also considering setting fish traps..spoke to the lady at the post office, she said, when I got my permit, thatii am allowed to put traps...Can't see what the difference is if fisherman are allowed to trap fish on a hook, why cant we trap fish in a cage..I also like fishing...so I ll cast my bait and then set traps haha..

Recent Posts