2nd Hand Tank already established

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by jaybo32, 20 Sep 2010.

1. jaybo32

jaybo32

Hello all

first time poster

I have been given the oppurtunity to purchase a 2nd hand setup from my uncle

he has a decent sized tank, with a protein skimmer, external filter, 2 blowers on the glass and loads of live rock. a few fish, 2 clowns and a shrimp thing and a toadstool thing.

I have never had a marine setup before and come to you guys for help and advice.

He has a base of coral, which is a bit ugly to be honest, I would much prefer sand.

is this a big job to chage the base from crushed coral to sand?

also, the live rock is a bit green in places, should this be left or cleaned somehow?

I may take some pics and show you if i can round to his house.

He said its easy to move, just empty the water level to about 25% and take out the live rock and wrap in paper. we would also be draining the water and refilling it.

is this ok?

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Few quick points.

1) the coral sand has all the necessary bacteria in it to support life in the tank.
    Replacing it all in one go could result in an ammonia/nitrate spike which wont be good for the tank inhabitants.

2) I would move the tank empty. Much greater chance of it breaking during transportation if it has anything in it

3) Rather pack the rock into buckets and move it semi wet. To me newspaper has chemical in it which could leach into the rock.

4) dont clean the rock with a pressure washer or hose pipe. Remove as much of the algae by hand

4) Finally, and most importantly, how big is the tank? The bigger the set up, the more logistics required in the move.

5) Welcome to MASA !

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  4. jaybo32

jaybo32 Thread Starter

the tank is a corner unit and hold approx 200 litres, or so im told, looks bigger though

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome to MASA

I would empty the tank all the way @ 25% the water alone would weigh 50kg, wouldn't want the bottome to crack of delaminate now

Recent Posts