2nd Hand Live Rock

Reaction score
So, was having a think, is there any problem with purchasing 2nd hand live rock(especially if it's for a cheap, such as from someone closing down or moving) and drying it out and cleaning it thoroughly for use later? Seeing as new rock costs quite a bit, i thought this may be a good cost cutting strategy.

Would then use a few pieces of live rock to seed this later when i set the tank up?

Any thoughts?

yip, we all do that, well atleast i do, even one piece of LR can seed a whole tank.
I used dried base rock and get 1 small piece from a reefer and seed

Saving money yes. But you will also inherit the previous guys aiptasia, algae and locked up phosphates.

Anyway, most of my rock comes from other systems.

But if i stored it dry and cleaned and scrubbed the hell out of it this would surely kill off most of what you mentioned?

But if i stored it dry and cleaned and scrubbed the hell out of it this would surely kill off most of what you mentioned?
Yes, but an even better method would be to cook the live rock. Not actual cooking in an oven, but in water in darkness for 3 months.

So, was having a think, is there any problem with purchasing 2nd hand live rock(especially if it's for a cheap, such as from someone closing down or moving) and drying it out and cleaning it thoroughly for use later? Seeing as new rock costs quite a bit, i thought this may be a good cost cutting strategy.

Would then use a few pieces of live rock to seed this later when i set the tank up?

Any thoughts?

If you are doing that, why not just buy base/dead rock? It should be way cheaper in many instances than live rock, unless you are going for the real reef or other similar rock.
When you buy live rock, you are essentially purchasing the bacteria that it houses and hence the price (which also includes the "wet weight" as well...). When you dry it out, you are killing off the bacteria that you "paid" for. ;)

The only base rock I have seen advertised on websites is damn expensive(I haven't checked all, so if a sponsor wants to correct me here they are more then welcome), and I haven't really seen base rock sold on the for sale section, so was just putting and idea out there and seeing if anyone has a reason why I shouldn't. Especially if I can get it at R 50/kg. . .

Back
Top Bottom