2m lighting help needed.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice on lighting my 7ft (2m) tank with T5's.

I was thinking of getting 5ft 80w T5's but then I'm going to have 1ft on either side with no light.

Question, will a 54w T5 penetrate and emit the same amount of light as an 80w?

I could go with 4ft tubes, end to end but with a slight overlap in the centre of the tank. Kanga, draw a pic.

I don't know what I should go for, maybe 54w as they seem to be much more readily available than 80w's.

Anybody got a link where PAR readings have been taken of 54w and 80w tubes?

I could go with 4ft tubes, end to end but with a slight overlap in the centre of the tank. Kanga, draw a pic.

I don't know what I should go for, maybe 54w as they seem to be much more readily available than 80w's.
yes defniatley go that route rather than the 80W

Viperlights.jpg

There we go Viper sir, sorry it took so long sir, thank you sir, I will go sit in the corner now sir until you need me again sir.:whistling:

There we go Viper sir, sorry it took so long sir, thank you sir, I will go sit in the corner now sir until you need me again sir.:whistling:
Good Boy. Yip, that's pretty much how I want to do it.

Um...why not use 1 bank of 4ft and 1 bank of 3 ft....?
I don't know, not too sure if 39w will be strong enough, I want uniformity throughout the tank and I think the 39w might not be strong enough.

Are you gonna DIY?
Yes, going to make up a suspended wooden hood.

Well I have some parts for sale you if you want...Ballasts, End Caps, Timmers...?

Yes, going to make up a suspended wooden hood.
When, if you want send the plan I will make from 9mm superwood for you

Um dean, I think 39w will be as strong as 54w...it's the same watts per cm so don't see why is should be less effective...maybe Obi-wan can confirm.

Well I have some parts for sale you if you want...Ballasts, End Caps, Timmers...?
Sounds good, once I have decided what I want I will give you a shout, thanks :thumbup:

In the meantime you can keep all the end caps for me

When, if you want send the plan I will make from 9mm superwood for you
Now that sounds great. You just wanna use your new toy hey :p

Um dean, I think 39w will be as strong as 54w...it's the same watts per cm so don't see why is should be less effective...maybe Obi-wan can confirm.
That's what concerns me, I don't know if they work like that, would love some confirmation on this, PAR readings ideally.

Well I have no idea, all I know is that my 4 2ft T5's in my octagon is as bright as my 4ft one over my other tank...all ATI or GM Tubes..

Ok, thanks SIMS.

Not sure yet Gaz. Might just bite the bullet and go ATI's.

Dean also look at the GM tubes I can't see a diffs in them and they both running same time...

Is there a big price difference between them and the ATI?

viperlights4ftand3ft.jpg

Mr Viper sir, why not go 4ft and 3ft together, slight overkill, but hell it would be sweet, even go 4ft T5 10 000k and 3ft T8 actinic if you worried about cost

Back
Top Bottom