2ft nano tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by AdamVR, 23 Feb 2012.

1. AdamVR

AdamVR

Hi everyone

So here is my idea. Currently I am in the process off assembling a 500l marine tank and getting all the parts together for a nice tank.

In the meantime, I had a bit of a brainfart and decided that I am going to turn one of my 60l tropical tanks in the living room into a nano marine tank.

My idea is to use an external sump, but place the sump above my tank i.e. the pump will be in my DT instead of my sump.

Now my question is: Should I go for a FO or FOWLR setup. My idea is to put some coral in the tank at a later stage. I would like to make it a community tank.

Is it a viable plan? If some of the fish in this tank outgrow it, I will be able to move them to by new bigger tank which should be up and running in a month or so...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

FOWLR

And yes, pumping water up to sump can work.

but is sounds like you are already too much in a hurry. Remember, with marines, if you do not have patience, rather stay with fresh water. Only bad things happen fast.

Rather spend the time, energy and money in getting a proper start on your big tank.

4. Mc

Mc

Like Riaan says lots of patience.
    The nano tank will probably only be ready for fish in month anyway.
    FOWLR is the best option as a lot of marine fish get very stressed if they don't have a hiding place. The LR works as filteration and in a nano you need every bit of filteration you can get.
    If you want to go with something above your tank try google the borneman flush device.

5. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys.

Sorry I was a bit unclear, the idea is to have my big tank running approx a month behind my small one, but as it goes with these projects, it always takes longer than expected. I had the marine tank in the living-room idea for a while now, but I couldn't find a space to put a big one. I currently have two tropicals in the room.

Just thought a couple of CUC with a marine fish or two might be a nice change of scenery.

Of course, if things do not go as planned, all the nano tank stuff goes straight to my big tank, so I have about 1 month to figure out if things will work or not.

Recent Posts