2balive's 128l Nano with MH light

This must be the coolest nano and lifestock i've seen!!!

:thumbup:

Thanks, fascinated by what one can keep.

Thanks for inviting me to visit Len, wine was great, you guys in CT do run some very neat setups. Nice nano, MH and all. Interesting selection of fish. Cheers

Nice meeting you, always more wine available

Hay Len love your nano man keep up the good work

Thanks.

Update with photo's

Update with photos.

Thought I would capture some history of my tank. Sitting at the airport, will be away for two weeks, then back for four hours and away for another week. My family is looking after the tank.

In large, very happy with how my tank is doing. All parameters stable and where I want it to be.

The combination of (artificially boosted) biological, macro algae, chemical and mechanical filtration seams to have settled down nicely and are allowing me to feed fairly aggressive without negative results. Still get a touch of cyno (2 or 3 x 5c areas) about 2 or 3 days after I add Bioptim, but not really an issue.

My fish tally is now nearly full. Manage to get a peaceful tank, no major issues. (Sorry only got a few minutes before boarding, so only common names):

1 x clown goby
1 x tailspot goby
1 x pigmy wrasse
1 x jasha goby
2 x Red spotted gobies
2 x Green Banded gobies

Held back on adding to many corals, but did a few, the list is:

2 x heads of (greenish) frogspawn
1 x (now white and pink) doughnut coral
1 x (very green,some pink) cats's eye coral
1 colony of (metallic green on brown) blasto
1 x (yellowish) fox
3 x (orange) ricordia's
3 x (1 chocolate brown, 2 x pink and yellow/green) mini-max anemones
4 colonies of zoonathum polyps
20+ x mushrooms

Other stuff is:

1 x pom pom crabs
2 x sexy shrimp
Also got a nice CUC of snails

Not totally issue free:

- 1 sexy x shrimp, 1 x pom pom and stomela snail has disappeared (that f@#$#@ hitchhiker crab I am sure)
- lost a twin spot goby (my stupidity, he ate well, but even with 4 feedings a day I could not keep him fat)
- my blue waving hand (Anthelia sp.?) is not doing well
- my donut coral went trough a bleaching exercise, now do much better.

Will post some more photo's later.

304e761a420725d.jpg

304e761a90303bc.jpg

304e761ace69622.jpg

Nice looking tank.
You must have had lots of fun getting the rock to stay like that.:)

beautiful colours. Really nice and neat. Very very cool. Makes me wanna rescape. Added too many frags:blush: Now need to rescape to make some space. I must definitely see this tank in real live. Will still phone you for a beer when Im in Cape Town for the day. But keep the pics coming. Well done Len.

Nice!!!! Tip if that white thing in the middle of the rock is a bubble watch it at night for its sweeper tentacles just make sure it wont zap anything around it.

No, it is a fox, as peaceful as they come. Would love to add a bubble, but to scared about it attacking the other corals. Will stick with the friendlier LPS for now.

Nice looking tank.
You must have had lots of fun getting the rock to stay like that.:)

Yip, was "fun". Take a look at the beginning of of the thread. The rock is placed on a framework of acrylic rods, with more rods going through it to achieve the hight. So far so good. Getting a pistol shrimp, so will see if the design works.

More fun coming next year, got to move the tank in Jan. Theoretically the LR can slide out of the rods and back in :whistling:

beautiful colours. Really nice and neat. Very very cool. Makes me wanna rescape. Added too many frags:blush: Now need to rescape to make some space. I must definitely see this tank in real live. Will still phone you for a beer when Im in Cape Town for the day. But keep the pics coming. Well done Len.

:peroni: always welcome. I have been good with selection this time, so far only forced by my family twice into corals I did not plan for/want.

Closeup photo's of some of the coral

Here is some closeup photo's of some of the corals.

Cat's eye, doing well, getting huge, stunning colour mix, texture.

304e7c1c8418d91.jpg

Frog, growing well, hoping to see a new head on of these days.

304e7c1cb127328.jpg

Blasto, adjusting well, the purple is more purple brown, with very metallic green middle. Already getting some new buds. One of the heads was cut in half, regrown, complete again.

304e7c1ce319afa.jpg

I've seen what tou did with the rods, it was a clever idea, it wouldnt work for me I moved my rock around about ten times before I was happy with it.:biggrin:
Those pistol shrimp are really cool I had a very small as a hitchhiker but only saw him once don't think he made it.
Moving is something I dont even wanna think about, Thats gonna be a mission.:lol:
I like that cats eye, strange looking thing.

Only the major ones are fixed, have a fair amount of discretion (as much a you can have in 35cm x 50cm x 50cm) where to place the rest.

Agree, Cat's eye is fascinating.

Here is some more pictures.

Can see how it turns metallic green when it is flat, facing the "sun".

304e7cd9fbb90e1.jpg

Texture changing with flow

304e7cd9fbd2adb.jpg

You say your fox is quite peacful how would you rate the frogspawn?

Frogspawn

I would call a frogspawn localised aggressive. It packs a very mean, sticky sting, but it sweepers are "just" a long, normal tentacle, not the thin spaghetti ones of the bubble.

This one is behaving well, have not seen a single elongated tentacle, but it is getting very big. Would not place anything within its reach.

Interesting, I have read that frog's, hammer's and anchors tolerate each other and does not fight with each other (makes you wonder about how good specie classification works within LPS). I am going to test this and see if I can keep all three on the pillar where the frog is.

On the fox, I have never see them harm anything, and weirdly, they seam to be fairly immune from harm as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Len I might try that myself got a frag of frogspawn today.
The only problem is my peppermint shrimp think its an aptasia.:biggrin: I might have to take them out.

Hi

Finally back, been gone for three weeks.

My tank has survived. :thumbup:

Still looking for two gobies but the rest are all OK, lots of new growth and "things".

Very happy, relieved, as it is only been running for three months.

Best is that it is OK after running without a skimmer for the last week (air-tube under water) and a "slightly" overfeeding house-sitter. The overkill on filtration definitely was worth it. Nitrates was showing slightly and I seem to have some Cyno.

Also apparently survived a power outage in Cape Town unattended.:eek:

Good to hear things are ok sounds a bit scarey.:)

Back
Top Bottom