!@#%

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by sihaya, 1 Nov 2011.

1. sihaya

sihaya

Those Tunze Nanostream pumps need to come with a warning about the strength of those magnets. I got one the other day (because they are, in fact, awesome circulation pumps), and for the second time in my life, I underestimated the strength of the magnet, tried to pull them apart, lost my grip, thumb slipped and WHAM! I can't believe how much pain there was. And I've experienced childbirth, and a torsed ovary, so I'm no whimp... but damn that hurt! :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Lol

4. Seabass

Seabass

Happened to me, and you don't even realise just how fast it happens, trying to get them apparat is another story.

5. seank

seank

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

One of our sponsors, just call him L, once tried to see how strong he is. And see how close he can get those magnet cleaners for the 16mm tanks. One in each hand. He could hold them about 150mm apart. But next moment they snapped together, clamping or pinching a bit of his chest skin. Nice little blood blister in the middle of his chest, almost looked like a third nipple. Now that was funny to watch...

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I feel your pain. Had a 6105 magnet close on the webbing between my thumb and index finger. After my colleague got up from the floor after laughing he had to wedge a pair of scissors and pry them apart.

But I recall reading the warning on the first page or two. But they might have to add a few colourful words describing just how strong they are :p

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

yep i had a friend over to collect an AM mega mag, i was so scared he was going to hurt himself i held one part of the magnet while i explained to him that he should never ever put the 2 sides together without something between them.. i took the second piece from him and placed the plastic spacer between the 2 pieces and closed the box.. we got chatting and without me seeing he opened the box and took out the magnet again.. took the 2 pieces apart and WHAM!!! the 2 sides snapped together pintching his finger...

FOOL!! i had just taken 20minutes to explain the danger and held one of the magnets away from him for that very reason.

as for getting them apart.. wedge a flat sturdy object between the 2 (i have a metal ruler about 1 1/2 inch wide) and i stick it in between the 2 and gently turn the ruler to dislodge the 2 from one another.. then have a second person grab one magnet and pull..

its not an exact science and its actually quite exhausting removing the 2 :lol:

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

haha
    i did the same with my tunze magnet cleaners...

10. rakabos

rakabos

Yeah the Seios even are amazingly strong, thats why they say dont clamp them on, rather slide them on, they could actually crack the glass!

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol I just got some sun sun magnets and Ziyaadb was showing me about them and how to use them and warned me that they were strong.. Then I was showing my old man the magnets and kapow! They clamped down on my finger without warning. Just slid them off though, there were no marks :)

12. Jeann1

Jeann1

Lol, this is so true.. on my new tank thread i mentioned that when we made those magnets for my resun wavers, i also had a incident :p

If you think the magnets are strong when they are in a product(in the magnet holders, or the cleaner magnets) try them in their RAW form.. i bought the 35 x 20 mm rare earth neodymium magnets.. lost a finger nail, loads of blood and a piece of my finger

13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Yup they usually dont warn you:lol:

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol yeah! You would expect it to go raaaaaaaaaaw then bite

15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

only after u have had couple shots:peroni::lol:

16. mookz

mookz

Similar thing happened to me one night.....
    Was moving some powerheads around and was working behind my light fixture....arms crossed and off balance...slipped tha magnet off the glass and it snapped together on some skin on my palm, LMAO it took me about 5 minutes of intense pain to muster up the courage to slide the magnets apart using the corner of the tank and light fixture....removed a nice chunk of skin....new rule...wife is always on standby :)

Actually amazing how much pain such a little thing can cause, the pain was so "sharp" that I couldn't physically scream for help :blush:

Wish I recorded it would have made an awesome youtube clip ROFLMAO!

17. crispin

crispin

sorry for chuckling, but second time round means u are a slow learner....it will happen again

18. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

haha

19. sihaya

sihaya Thread Starter

Omg, this must be a guy thing then. Right after I crushed my thumb, my husband is like "let me see it." I said "dude, do you really want to risk it?" And he said "yes, I gotta see it... I want to know how strong it is." I couldn't stop him from taking them, but I did at least convince him not to try to pull them apart over his lap. :eek:

20. sihaya

sihaya Thread Starter

Haha. In my defense, the two events were at least 3 years apart. :p

21. crispin

crispin

oh, so VERY slow learner then:tt2:

Recent Posts