28G Nanocube Salinity

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Gus, 25 Sep 2014.

1. Gus

Gus

Hey guys, just restarted our marine tank after the last one cracked and broke. I have a hydrometer to check salinity which I thought was ok. A good friend lent me his refractometer which shows my salinity at 1.029. I have a starfish, snails, goby, hermit and 2 clowns. how do I reduce the salinity without affecting the inverts and fish and what are the right parameters ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jason

Jason

Howzit.

I had the same issue...

I dropped the salinity over a period of about 2 weeks, changed 1l of water with RO water till i reached my desired level.

First start off doing it with 500ml a day. I only noticed it dropped from 1.030 to 1.029 in about 3 days...

4. Jason

Jason

Key is doing it slowly

5. Gus

Gus Thread Starter

And 1 litre is ok for a 28G Nanocube ?

6. Jason

Jason

My tank was a 24g and i started with 500ml and moved to 1l, after about 2 weeks my level was at 1.026, i mixed mt salt water the same as my current salinity was at.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

:m79:

Another job for the SALINITY POLICE.

Please someone, supply me the name of the person that first suggested that "Salinity" is "Specific Gravity" so that i can jump into my time machine and go back and cut his tongue out.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2014
  8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Oh dear!!! :m85:

9. Gus

Gus Thread Starter

My fish and inverts seem 100% with the salinity still being sightly high, could I still add a fire goby now and some soft corals or should I wait to bring the salinity down a bit ?

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I see that you are a new member and most probably have not been given the correct initial proper schooling on how to test and measure SALINITY. There are threads on MASA that explain how and what your bit of equipment is reading. When referring to SALINITY the measurement is S or PPT (parts per thousand) average salinity is S=35

The measurements you give is SG (specific gravity) You are not alone in miss understanding this.

If you are on the home page of MASA you will see a bunch of icons. Select the icon that looks like a calculator and scroll down. you will find a calculator that will help you do what you want to achieve

:lol::lol::lol:

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Best is to get you SALINITY stable on a salinity you choose. Changes in salinity will cause issues like white spot etc.

12. Gus

Gus Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks so much, will have a look.

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

It is best to click on the icons and explore what MASA has to offer. There are many answers to a lot of questions. If you cant find the icons look at the salinity adjustment calculator from the calculator menu.

Marine Aquariums South Africa calculators

14. VicZA

VicZA

Hey Gus - welcome to MASA - glad you have now joined :thumbup: Here is some interaction that i had via e-mail with Kieth (Nemos Janitor) that helped me onto the right path .... think this is invaluable for anyone in this hobby :

Just by raising your Salinity by 1ppt you will raise your Mg by 40 ppm and your Ca buy 13ppm.

If your Mg is low, below 1300ppm it inhibits Ca and Alkalinity. What this means is that when you add bicarbonate or carbonate it will fall out of solution and your Ca and KH will not alter no matter how much you add. However when you now raise the Mg , this Ca and alkalinity comes back into solution fast and will spike your KH. For this reason it is best to first stabilize your Salinity, then raise your Mg to 1300 then test Ca and KH and adjust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicZA
    Hi Kieth, just to let you know that my Salinity is now at 35ppt. I will therefore start topping up again with RO water.

Can you please give me an indication as to whether I should look at buying basic compounds (and if so, which ones) such as Bicarbonate Soda, etc for the dosing or whether I should be buying a complex compound such as Reef Advantage for the Ca, Alk dosing

Thanks again for all you assistance with this

Hi Victor, It is easier for me to direct you towards this article than to explain. I want you to read this artical by Randy Holme-Farley. It explains how to adjust inbalances and then to use balanced products to maintain the correct balance. If there is anything you do not understand pass it by me and i will help.

So measure your parameters and determin if you fall within the red square. Depending on where you fall you will be advised on the correct additive to correct.

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems

Let me know how you get along.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VicZA
    sorry one other question .... I have never much liked water changes as they seem to modify parameters quite a bit and are also quite a shlep. Would it be ok to do as I have done now and top-up with salt solution and not RO every time the salinity drops. Would obviously not be as intense as this time round as I plan on doing this every time the salinity drops to 33 or 34 ........... good idea ?

Victor years gone buy I would have advised to always do water changes. However times have changed and it is quite possible to get away without doing water changes. There many considerations though.

For now I would recommend small water changes on a monthly bases until you understand what you are dosing and how it impacts on the "salt" make up of sea water.

An example...
    If you dose a calcium chloride and baking soda additive and do not do water changes, you will have a NaCl build up. This will mean that your salinity will slowly increase but your ionic balance will be out. This is a very advanced subject and difficult to explain in a short reply.

Vic the only time your salinity might drop is if your skimmer is skimming very wet and removing saline water and you are topping up with RO Evaporation does not evaporate salt. only water is evaporated.

If you are mixing your make up water to S=35ppt all parameters should be consistent and stable.

For now I would plan a small monthly water change and maintain water parameters.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2014
Recent Posts