250W MH too much?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ScottK, 15 Aug 2011.

1. ScottK

ScottK

I am planning on upgrading to MH lighting, the amount fo T5 and T8 lighting I currently have to keep my tank happy is becoming excessive.

The tank dimensions are 700w x 450h x 450d.

Will a single 250W MH be too much for this depth? Should I rather go with a 150W setup?

Should I go for a 14k or 20k BLV globe?

Last edited: 15 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

What corals are you wantign to keep?

4. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I bought the full setup from a MASA member as an upgrade to my old setup.

I have been doing a lot of reading on feeding and caring for all of the inhabitants which has brought me to investigating an upgrade to MH.

I currently have the following lighting:

4 x 24w 10000k T5's
    2 x 24w Actinic T5's
    1 x 18w 10000k T8
    1 x 18w Actinic T8
    1 x 6W Cree LED

Current stock:

1x H. Magnifica Anemone
    1x Large Colt Coral
    1x Large rock with star polyps
    1x Large rock with +/- 20 mushrooms
    1x Medium sized rock with plenty yellow polyps
    3x Medium rocks with zoa's (red, green and orange variation)

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

WOW. 4X24W should be enough for even SPS at that depth and 6 even more so. Especially if you use decent globes like giesemann.

I would lose the T8 tubes, they are just wasting space.

A 250W halide will cook that water quickly. And personally I would lose the magnifica as well. They get huge.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2011
  6. Tremayn

Tremayn

If you really want a MH, then go for a 150w and 2 T5's but I would actually just run 4 nice T5's as you dont have any sps

7. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

The T5's unfortunately are not the greatest, definitely not giesemann quality. They are mostly a mixture of Dymax and Reeftek.

The Maginifica was in the previous owners system for a year and it has remained fairly small. It has been placed at the top of the tank to make sure it is getting as much light as possible.

I read a few articles that said MH lighting is a must for this type of anemone.

The tank has no canopy on, would mounting an MH higher if I was to get one assist with not cooking the water?

Quite surprised, was expecting everyone to say MH was a must have.

8. Tony

Tony

The 250 Halide will definately keep that nennie happy but may be a bit too much for other corals but those can be placed away from the centre of the tank. Like Marius said keep an eye out for overheating although you have just about 220 watts with the T5 system which produces just as much heat watt for watt as a halide system

9. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

The tank is braced in the center so that may help defuse the light a little. My main aim is to tidy up the wiring, the MH will replace 4 separate ballasts with a single plug. The last thing i want to do though is add something that's going to cause more issues or harm the corals.

How far above the tank would it be recommended to mount the 250W?

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If the tank has a center brace across the top then the halide might not be a good idea. It could case the brace to crack with the intense heat.

11. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

There is a center brace at the top, didn't think that would complicate things so much.

Looks like getting the lighting balanced to be enough for the Magnifica and not too much to for the rest of the tank and not too hot is going to be tougher than I thought :(

12. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Will a 150 MH be sufficient for the nennie

I am looking at this Eurolux unit with a BLV bulb.

Eurolux

13. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

The nennie is just not looking happy and I am guessing it is due to a lack of light. It has started to move a little so for the meantime I have moved the rock it was on a little bit higher so it is nearer the T5 lighting, I hope this helps in the short term, will monitor it today and see if it starts to move again.

I have tested the water with the following results

Phosphate - 0.03
    Nitrate - 1
    Calcium - 410
    Alkalinity - 8 dkh
    Salinity - 1,025

It looks like a may need to go for MH to keep the nennie happy, would the 14000K or 20000K be a better option?

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The colour of the globe is different between manufacturers and even between different wattages within the same brand. I run the 20K BLV 250W globes and they are an awesome colour for me. A nice crisp white with a hint of blue.

The nennie will appreciate 150W more than the T5s but it might require even more later on. Magnificas can take pretty much all the light you can throw at it if it is acclimated to it. If you are dead set on keeping the magnifica then go for the 150W halide at this stage as I think the 250 will cook the water and kill everything. Once the nennie gets bigger you will have to relocate it to a bigger tank and then also to say 250W halides.

15. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

@mariusmeyerThanks for the advice. I'd really like to keep the nennie, I know the tank may be a little small but would rather let it go and have a reason for a bigger tank later :) I'll try and get myself setup today with a 150W.

I am in the process of selling my house and moving to somewhere bigger and have plans on a larger setup in the future.

I am looking at the BLV bulbs, is the 140000k going to be too white or is it a nice blend between blue/white? Or should I rather just get the 20000k and supplement with 10000K T5's? As far as I know they are all the same price.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I would go for the 20000K globe. You will find that the 14000K is too yellow. I even supplement my 20000K globes with actinics for extra blue and it is still not very blue.

17. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the advise.

I have arranged the 20k globe and will most likely have it and the fitting this afternoon. Hopefully I will have time to get everything installed this evening.

Seeing as my T5 setup was outputting around the same amount of light will i need to acclimate my setup at all? I was planning on running the MH for maybe 4-6 hours and the T5 supplements for an hour before and an hour after this, does this sound ok or should i just run the MH for 8 hours?

18. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

What you can do is run a set of T5s maybe 30mins before the halides come on and then 30 mins after. This will "wake" the livestock up before the intense halide comes on.

Recent Posts