24 Gal Nano Cube

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by PoPe_G, 28 Jun 2010.

1. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

Hey Guys

Been doing some serious reading over the last couple days as I am starting my new Nano.

Just need to ask if there are any ideas for mods to add a skimmer (if in your opinion) it is completely necessary. And possibly upgrade the lighting.

I have removed all the bio balls & carbon from the filter at the back. There is about 5-6cm of playsand for the substrate. Filled with R/O water & used Tetra marinesalt.

Salinity is at 1.026
    Ph-8.2
    No2-0
    No3-0
    Nh3/4-0

Tank has been running for about a week. Will add live rock tomorrow in place of the bio balls and carbon aswell as in the display tank.

I also have a sun sun 'powerhead/wavemaker' rated @ 6000lph.

Pic I got off the net untill I can upload images of the nano.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I think that 6000 lph pump might be a bit much for your nano, have you put it in yet?

A skimmer is not an absolute necessity, but it does help to clean the tank, if you are confident that you are going to do regular water changes then you can do without a skimmer, but if you feel you may get a bit lazy then I would recommend looking into getting one.

What make of nano is it? I'm sure there are a couple of skimmers that will fit in the back.

4. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

Yeah, its in but I'm not confined to keeping it in. Was thinking of adding a boyu wave maker system to the Nano rather.

[​IMG]

It's that make...No name brand.

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

That image is of the JBJ 12G nano cube DX. Do you have the big brother (24Gallon)?

6. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

Yeah, the 24 gal. Just minus the protein skimmer etc. That was the delux model, so I got the inbetweener.

7. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

Added 5kg of live rock tday. Ph has dropped to around 7.6 but have added 1tsp of buffer to sort it out.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Howzit Pope_G! Been a while mate! Great to see you posting again!

With ANY nano tank - even the types WITH skimmer..... You HAVE to be extremely diligent with water changes, mate. At least once a week - 10% .....

Then - your nano will be super successful!

9. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

Hey Jacques....Yeah been a while bud.

Been browsing the forums though. Managed to get that other tank right, thanks for the advice.

Honestly, with water changes I'm going to do a bit of cheating and get my staff guy to do the change once a week. He's pretty good when it comes to mixing water.

Nicely done on your new tank. Only problem is there are no updated pics of it.......

Recent Posts