23 hours of hell

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Reepher, 30 Sep 2016.

1. Reepher

Reepher

Hi guys it's been 23 hours of hell the mini sub station transformer lost 1 phase 6houses were connected to it so I had no power from 20:23 till 19:45 the next day my ups ran out of juice 45mins after the power out just a lil scared of the losses my nano is completely cloudy lost 2clowns 2damsels and some coral witch I've had 4like 10years plus just a bit worried for my 5 foot as I've just started stocking it is there any other alt to ups or genies to power my tank

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MJB

MJB

I'm really sorry bud, that's unfortunate.

4. yusufp

yusufp

Try lambson tomorrow and see if you can hire a genny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

The powers back on but the loss is bad

6. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

@Reepher, sorry to hear. I can't imagine how you just feel.

I will be tagging along to see what solution you come up with. This has been something bothering me for a while now, and I meant to get it sorted out but still not sure of they way to go.

Sent from the Edge

7. NJH

NJH

Sorry to hear. All the best. Generator is the only way to go. Suffered almost 40 hour power outage last week. If it was not for the generator all would have been lost.

8. 2una

2una

Well if its of any help as i like learning things the long way for some reason - I have a 24V/1440W invertor & if the return pump & circ pump is left on it it will last a normal 3-4 hour load shedding......the other week the power went down for 36 hours - i got the inverter to hold for around 26 hours with just the 1 circ pump on it.
    However once its flat its flat & after then i was down to battery air pump & battery gravel vac for a little flow.
    So i got to thinking what if the power had have gone out for 4-5 days or more do i just kiss my tank goodbye?
    I now got a 1.6/2 kva genny hidden away that's quiet enough to run in an apartment block

r0ckf1re likes this.
  9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Since the UPS would just need 220V to charge the batteries up again and it does give you a few hours to run would it not make sense to buy 2 X UPS if you on a budget and take 1 UPS to a nearby house to charge while the other runs down and alternate between them ... or even a small genie will charge up your batteries in UPS for it to continue giving clean filtered power to your equipment ... Could also consider solar just to give you the 220V to charge UPS up again ... Also don't forget to remove any dead livestock ASAP from tank as this will just make matters worse by poisoning water and this in turn will spike levels and more losses ... Most economical though would be a second UP .... Depending on equipment some would need pure sine wave inverters so as not to damage units ... All the best with whichever route you go

r0ckf1re likes this.
  10. Harry s

Harry s

Here is a nother way to go.
    I have 3000w inverter running on batteries charged by solar so it charged in the day and gets me trough the nite. Also did the control panel in sutch a mannor that the heates and 1 power head switches off witch gives me round about 4 hours more run time and wife and sone dont watch tv that late so then i gane some more amd if temp drops to mutch i just run heater a short time to warm water up and un plug it agen hope it helps. If its a cp ups they are all rated @ 45 min even if nothing is connected you could add external batteries but it is gowing to overheat.

Sent from my LG-H635 using Tapatalk

r0ckf1re likes this.
  11. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

Interesting and thanks all for the input I'll tinker around a bit I have a solar panel collecting dust so I'll put it to use plus maybe a small genie it will b a some sort of hybrid power supply will keep URL posted if the project takes off

12. 2una

2una

That inverter i have has optional facility to connect solar to it - its a Mecer Bbone 024S if you want to look into it.....the unit is only simulated sinewave but i've not seen any issues with that,it seems to run everything fine...they've told me i could connect up to 3 pairs of batteries total to it. As it is its 1 set of 2 100a/h batts.
    Cheapest place i found it was here: http://www.comx.co.za/BBONE-024S-Mecer-24V-Battery-Centre-with-LCD-Display-Buy-p-121597.php

Last edited: 1 Oct 2016
    Reepher likes this.
Recent Posts