20L Daro desk toy

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by jimilutz, 30 Aug 2014.

1. jimilutz

jimilutz

During our renovations, my Boyu 550 was emptied into my big tank and moved into my son's room. He took it over for his freshwater fish and so I took his 20l Daro to setup for my office. It is currently sitting in the dining room until I move offices next month.
    I wanted a super low maintenance tank as the wife would not be too happy with me staying at work even later to do tank maintenance.

The base of the tank has been reinforced with a perspex sheet, Euro bracing style, to prevent rock smashing, those Daros have really thin glass.

Filtration is a simple ViaAqua with sponge, ceramic rings, activated carbon. This has a spot for the heater built in, so it stays tidy. Calupra in the display gets trimmed regularly (Just after this picture was taken) to export nutrients and keep it short and tidy.

I built a snug fitting perspex lid to minimise evaporation and salt creep. Drilled holes into this and glued the LED lenses so it stays waterproof. Small hole on the left, next to the NanoMag is for feeding.

Lighting is 12xwhite, 5xBlue, 1x Violet 3w LEDs on a single dimmable driver with manual reostat. It was too much white, so one row of white has been disconnected. The driver is hidden on top of the heatsink, under a aluminium lid. I run it at about 75% power or mu mushrooms revolt.

When it is on my desk, it will be rotated so the filter is at the back, hidden by a Zoa wall that I am growing on that large flat piece of rock. It just doesn't fit on the dining room side table that way. I am also removing the sand when I move it.

Lighting controlled by an analog plug timer. The pump is also switched off for an hour every night by another analog plug timer so that the corals can eat peacefully and I don't have to remember to switch the pump back on after feeding (I forgot once and only noticed the next morning.)

Livestock:
    • a purple Pseudochromis
    • Three turbo snails.
    • Bunches of Xenia which I occasionally prune and give to the local petstore
    • A couple of mushrooms
    • A frogspawn frag that broke off my big tank during fiddling
    • Two Acro frags that were saved from an acro experiencing STN in my big tank.
    • 100 Zoas/PalyZoas in green, yellow and orange
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That's cool. Waterchanges must be cheap, a teacup a month? :p

4. jimilutz

jimilutz Thread Starter

They are actually free. I use the waste water from my big tank WC, so the two tanks have almost identical parameters. This allows me to move frags from the big tank into the small one without any acclimation.

5. jimilutz

jimilutz Thread Starter

A little video of one of my yellow bristle worms coming out of the mushrooms.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  6. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Im not going to lie to you, I like this nano!

One day when Im all grown up I will have one on my desk!

7. Dexter

Dexter

Nifty little toy...I love it!!!!

8. Sweet lips

Sweet lips

Cute, small tank

Recent Posts