20g Reef

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 20g tall nano reef that's been running for 3 months without any fish. Nitrates 0 phosphate undetectable yet I am getting heaps of detritus every week. It seems impossible, because I started with all new artificial base rock only one piece of good live rock.

My current stock is a green nepthea frag, Eagle eye zoa frag, favia frag and a candy cane frag.

And that's just what's on the left side of the tank, and I don't feed at all.

Is this normal or are my rocks bad??

tekkengal

Reaction score
This settlement is normal. There is always some dust on the rock even if it is base rock. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just siphon it out :)

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. :confused: I agree with tekkengal.
Worst case sinerio: If your tank was 3 months old when you took this picture, then the detritus might be from small amounts of the rocks (including the base rock) eroding.
Though I couldn't say for sure because I do not know where your lovely choices of corals and zoa is placed, nor the rockscape.
Anyhow, unless large chunks of rock start fall off or the piles of dust are making the water murky, I think you don't have anything to worry about. :)

- C. Smith

Reaction score
If your tank is open, you will also find that dust from outside also finds it's way into your tank. This is something a lot of reefers don't take into consideration because they don't often dust their own homes, and furniture. But if you see the amount of dust removed from your home on a daily basis, you will understand that it is almost impossible to not get any dust into your system unless it is a 100% sealed system. On a bare bottom it is also more visible than on a sandy bottom for obvious reasons.
I think in your case (bare tank bottom) it is easier to remove, than on a sandy substrate.

3dd

Reaction score
Seeing you have a bare bottom, why not just aim a power head at that spot. Would seem like that is a dead spot in the tank. More flow would keep the particles suspended.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, since i posted i removed the detritus on almost a daily basis, until mid june then the rocks totally stopped producing detritus. I think what was happening was, that the rocks were purging all the nutrient contained inside. Since there are no fish and minimum feeding for the corals and lots of water changes it caused the purge.

Heres the tank now. I added a bit of sand just for looks about two weeks ago

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Update, the tank is doing amazing, torch coral splitting into two, 4 heads on my hammer are splitting, one splitting in three, and the cup mushroom splitting off babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
O sorry i think you mean the green nepthea lol
Its a frag from a large colony i have, but the mother colony isnt green, its plain tan color. Its probably the lighting in the other tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: