2000x600x600 DIY Tank Build

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have decided to enter the hobby (again) unlike the last time I have made a firm intention of going all the way. A quick recap of why I am saying this is because the last time i built a tank and decided to go marine, i had managed to obtain most of the equipment including the salt. The only equipment i was short of was a calc reactor, kalk wasser and test kits! Then i decided to convert it to a malawi tank and not long after that I scrapped the whole project.

Unfortunately i did not take pics of the glass when it arrived or the metal for the stand as everybody. I will upload pics of the tank and would like to get reviews and any advice. I have been researching for the past 2 years now and i really think I am ready to take on this task.

For most of the project it will be DIY.

Something has been bugging me....I noticed that everybody uses blue pvc pipes for their plumbing. Is there a reason for this? I have the normal white pipes from the hardware store. i couldn't find the blue pipe. I have used Glue Devils PVC Weld to weld the pipes. Is this correct and are my pipes ok?

Reactions: Ric
That is correct , as for your pipes being correct , please see a proctologist.lol. White I think is better than blue ,but I couldn't find. I have seen red used and I thought it looked amazing.

Guys thanks for the replies. I was going crazy thinking that I have screwed up real bad. I completed the tank 2 days ago. Last night I filled it up with tap water to check for leaks and prayed like never before haha! No leaks and the overflow works perfectly. All pipes are sealed. At the moment and for "just in case" something happens i have moved my couches closer and taped the tank up with duct tape. i figured if it burst or springs a leak the couch will get wet and the rest of the house but my glass should be ok...however, being a married man I don't think i will be ok with the missus :)

I will post picture and talk about my plans so I can received the best possible advise.

Here are the pics of the tank. The last pic has a piece of glass which was extra. Its not part of any bracing :)

20161111_175740.jpg

20161111_175750.jpg

20161111_175817.jpg

20161111_175841.jpg

20161111_175852.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice size tank. What is plan re livestock? Wheres your interests?

Very nice size tank. What is plan re livestock? Wheres your interests?

Thanks. Wish it was bigger. Well I am looking at a full reef system. Forgive me if I can't explain myself properly as I am still getting used to the lingo. live rock coral & fish. Its unfortunate that I don't know anybody (friend who has a marine tank) here in Durban that I could talk to so i can find my feet. I am planning on having the tank up and running by the end of December. I do not want to rush as i still need to figure out how I am gonna do my sump. I have looked at a quite a few sumps and I am not sure which one is for me. The sump tanks will be L 2000x W 450 x H 450. It will be made up of 3 tanks. Any ideas anybody?

My dream size. I am certainly watching this thread.
Thanks. Reaslly appreciate it. I was actually thinking 2500x700x700 but the tank would have ended up in the dining room area so it was not approved :) I tried to explain I don't mind eating on the sofa instead of the dining the table but she didn't want to reason with my sacrifice :) :)

Very nice, are you going to cover the overflow or leave it see thru.

Sent from the Edge

Last edited:
I was planning on landscaping LR in 3 sections of the tank. Left, right and centre. The center section would be towards the back blocking the overflow and the sides would be towards the front of the tank. basically it will look like three small mountains which will have a peak. There should be enough place for the fish to swim around.

The white pipe rated for a lower pressure, but really we have almost no pressure on our aquarium pipe work so any pipe should do just fine.

Never seen an overflow like that, very kewl, really doesn't block out much view. What do they call it ?

@ebs832004 tagging along, nice size tank!

What fish do you have in there?

Thanks. At the moment I just have Cichlids swimming around. I had to do an emergency evacuation for them. My daughter enjoyed her bottle of bubbles so much she decided to share it with them!!! :001_huh: ... 1 died after i a few hours. the rest survived.

Never seen an overflow like that, very kewl, really doesn't block out much view. What do they call it ?

Hey thanks. I don't think there is a name. Just something I am trying and if it does work I will name it "Slurp no more" :D:D:D. I put a 50mm T-Piece. The normal elbows used to make a slurping noise and doesn't sound good. When I tested this one, there was no slurping.

What do your'll think about doing the reactors and skimmer as DIY? I have the skill and I sought of have the know how from research and videos. It will look very close to something that i will buy. I wanna do as much DIY as possible.

Back
Top Bottom