2000l mixed reef setup

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by 'D', 3 Jan 2018.

1. OP
    'D'

'D'

Thank you Dian - not quite a Masterpiece but it’s making some good progress...only thing with such a large system is that everything dissapears! So cannot wait for the corals to grow out some!

2. Guest

3. Dian6430

Dian6430

I can imagine something dissappears fast. Although its also nice having such a big system with all the livestock possibilities. One day when im big

'D' likes this.
  4. OP
    'D'

'D'

Some random shots

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dian6430 and Aqaunino like this.
  5. OP
    'D'

'D'

Ok...so had endless issues trying to get MP40 dry sides after 2 of mine dropped and broke the disks inside.

After many avenues @leslie hempel - Thank you! Managed to replace with new and added 2 more to replace the Sicce pumps I’m using at the moment.

Will post more shots once installed

3DE3DEAC-A098-4A71-AA2D-42FEB967C973.jpeg

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

now that is a late Christmas present, from myself, to myself, with love, myself!

Dian6430 likes this.
  7. OP
    'D'

'D'

:lol: You said it....the Mrs just looked at me with these big white eyes....never said anything tho!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you do know, that you owe her now a late Christmas present as well. :m16:

9. OP
    'D'

'D'

I suppose you right :m33: ...we never win...when she had a ‘moment’, I get nothing....but if she doesn’t it is very silent in the house for a couple of days :lol::lol:

That does have its benefits :blush:

10. OP
    'D'

'D'

So managed to do some work on the tank and installed the MP40s! Have them on the ‘long pulse’ setting intermittent cross flow.
    With 6x MP40’s in the tank, I turned them down quite a bit to make sure everything gets used to the flow change...will keep tracking it and increase over time...

Then, I got the Phospha Guard and Nitra Guard bio cubes and based on everything I read, best way is to set-up in a tubes with air pushed from the bottom to drive flow and air.

So I devised my own setup...hahahha....they seem to work great - been running just more than a week now.

image.jpg

D6A3BC86-0C22-4990-ADCA-644BF1B717C6.jpeg

F08AE356-C7D5-4B74-A051-E622CF97CF56.jpeg

02F52F95-18A9-4AF2-BBA0-B4D3CE5FA4F1.jpeg

89F1969A-C26A-42C1-9BF3-493847A89D83.jpeg

tekkengal likes this.
  11. Dian6430

Dian6430

Please share more on how your running the cubes.

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I used to run my cubes in a fluidised reactor with a cheap powerhead and connected venturi. Worked very well. I have also run them in a pool filter basket with 4 small airstones at the base to ensure good air flow throughout. The fluidised reacor unfortunately has the same drawback as bio pellets and you need to have it on a battery backup. I like your improvised pvc reactors.

13. OP
    'D'

'D'

@Dian6430 @mariusmeyer

Thanks guys - I took those PVC pipes and cut horizontally across on either side. At the bottom of the pipe I cut 3x lines, drilled a hole either side (for rubber tubing for 2x airstones, left the middle section of the PVC solid and then started cutting the horizontal lines just below the height of the water level in the sump.

This allows you to place the bag with the bio cubes into the PVC sleeves. The 2x airstones (placed inside the sleeve - at the bottom) drive enough air and flow from the bottom to suck water in through the 3 lines and push it up through the sleeve, and out to the top horizontal lines. Sufficient air and flow to allow for bacteria to grow inside the sleeve and do what they need to do...

I have made 3 of these, one for the normal Nitra Guard Bio Cubes, 1x the Nitra Titanium cubes and 1x Phospha Guard cubes.

Now I can just drop in extra from the top to add more when needed. So far, works like a charm and, aside from the strong air pump, cost nothing to make!
    ;)

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
  14. OP
    'D'

'D'

Over the last couple of years, I have always dosed mannually. Everything required - Mg, Ca, strontium, trace, zoo, Phyto, iodide, etc, etc... Partly because I have had this inherent ‘mistrust’ in dosing units and partly because it forced me to keep a finger on the pulse.

So I went to WoP and saw the Jecod DP-5....and thought I will give this a try.
    So I ha e it calibrated and have it dose Seachem Plus, Strontium and Meerwasser Concentrate as a start - have any of you had experience with this specific dosing unit? And any recommendations what I should add to the dosing other than Ca?
    Thanks!

B7B70702-0597-4D56-AE01-481AE88C1882.jpeg

15. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Howsit, I use one of those units and found that the heads are in reverse. If you check out youtube there are a few vids on the fix, though it does still work as is.

I came across the vids cos there were air breaks in the std airline i used. After the "fix" still had some issues with air. I then swopped the air line out for medical grade silicone tubing that i sourced at a medical equipment supply. Best move I made. No air in the lines anymore and they stay straight. No kinks.

I also found that anything lower than 10ml is usually inaccurate. Replacement heads are also not readily available. Trying to source the silicone tube that fit in the heads atm. Got a meter but the ID is wrong so will order again and hopefully get it right this time.

Other than that it serves me well. Occasionally I spot check the heads for accuracy and so far no issues. Cos i dose my big 3 in equal proportions its easy to check if the liquid in the reservoir is at the same level.

Hope that helps.

16. OP
    'D'

'D'

Thank you for the feedback...good to know it can be trusted...I willl keep a close eye on it to make sure :thumbup1:

17. OP
    'D'

'D'

I am super stoked :thumbup:

Whilst I have been on the automation drive to ensure more consistency (and less manual labor) on dosing the tank....was wondering how I could dose Zoo, Phyto, etc without having to worry about the settlement.... So...off to Hanna and managed to get myself 2x Magnetic Stirrers :)

They each can take a Litre (weight) and thus will connect the timers through the Profilux....stirrers come on 30min before dosing time and wa-la!

My project for the next couple of days ;)

D15D24EE-3375-4E4E-833A-B5713871311E.jpeg

18. dallasg

dallasg Moderator

very nice...

'D' likes this.
  19. dallasg

dallasg Moderator

i build one of these a while back

feedingtank.jpg

20. OP
    'D'

'D'

Dallas, that is quite something! Would love to hear more about it as farming your own is always better but that is if you know what you doing?

21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator

its as simple as it looks. pump water from sump into 1st chamber, it overflows to sump to feed, then over flows to feed the next chamber, and so it continues. it follows the food cycle of each animal. it also doesnt allow them to mix etc. and tank then gets fed with all 4 at the same time

Recent Posts