2 sumps

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by chris, 29 Oct 2008.

1. chris

chris

hey everone

I decided to ditch my cannister filter and want to build a sump to fit in my tank cabinet if possible,the problem is I cant use a normal sump you buy because my cabinet is divided in the middle,I cant take the dividing piece out as I dont want to mess around with the support of my tank,the dividing piece doesnt come all the way to the front ive got about 3cm to play with in front.SO on each side of the cabinet I can build a sump of size 40x40x40cm and use to 3cm in front to connect the 2 sumps via pvc piping.

I will send a pic of my cabinet,and a rough design of what i want to do,remember there is no measuremnts om my design and it is not build according to scale

Any advice will be helpful

thx[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chris

chris Thread Starter

can I email my drawing to someone cant upload the drawing

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Here is chris's pic

[​IMG]

5. chris

chris Thread Starter

thanks viper but any comments

6. viper357

Yeah, you need to turn this around a little bit.

Your skimmer needs to be in the first compartment of the sump where the water enters from the display tank, thereafter you have your biological filtration (DSB) then in your last compartment you have your chemical filtration like carbon, phosphate etc. and your return pump.

What did you want to put in your box that has the mechanical, biological and chemical filtration?

Also the sump on the left, you need to reduce the height of the glass divider otherwise the water is going to battle to get up that high to flow over the glass.

7. chris

chris Thread Starter

ok,I thought that in the intake small compartment I will put floss then carbon then ceramic rings or something,but will the setup work,wiil the pvc tubing connecting the sumps allow enough water through.the skimmer not a problem I can add it in the first compartment and the divider not a problem to lower

8. viper357

To be honest I wouldn't bother with putting anything in the intake box, apart from maybe some floss which you will have to change weekly. If you do use floss remember to rinse it well in some RO water or your skimmer will go crazy.

I'm not too sure about the pipes between the tanks, logic tells me it will work but I would probably put them next to each other instead of one on top of the other. You will have to make sure they are big enough to handle the flow between the 2 sumps, also have them a bit higher so that the water cascades down from the first sump, into the 2nd, further down over the DSB and then into the return chamber, this is why I say you must lower the glass divider in the 2nd sump otherwise the water will be flowing back on itself and it will be like trying to flow uphill. I think :p

Also don't drill the holes too close together otherwise you risk the chance of the glass cracking between the 2 pipes.

Recent Posts