2 new forums.

cool will try remember to uitilize them thanks for the ever developing fantastic forum

Another new forum:

Private Forum for new members and advice
Are you new to reefkeeping and new to forums? Unsure of what to do and how to ask questions? Feeling a bit shy to have the masses descend on you? Would you like some discretion for an unusual problem, have you made a monumental mess up of something and don't want the world to know about it? Whatever your reasons, if you value discretion then this is the forum for you. Start a New Thread and we will respond. Your questions can not be seen by other members, only the forum staff (moderators) can see these threads, all questions and answers will be in the strictest of confidence. We will not laugh at you, we will not ridicule you, what we will do is try our best to help you, all done in private.

Feeling a bit shy to have the masses descend on you? Would you like some discretion for an unusual problem... Your questions can not be seen by other members, only the forum staff (moderators) can see these threads, all questions and answers will be in the strictest of confidence.

This is a noble idea, but consider that *most* posts are read by many people, some of whom might not even have thought of that particular problem/idea until it was posted - we thus all learn from the post, even though we did not actually post it (or participated...). Would it not be better to hide the poster's identity (to protect him/her from embarrassment, etc.) and make the actual post visible so everyone can learn from it, rather than make the post secret so only the poster can read it?

Hennie

This is a noble idea, but consider that *most* posts are read by many people, some of whom might not even have thought of that particular problem/idea until it was posted - we thus all learn from the post, even though we did not actually post it (or participated...). Would it not be better to hide the poster's identity (to protect him/her from embarrassment, etc.) and make the actual post visible so everyone can learn from it, rather than make the post secret so only the poster can read it?

Hennie
i think that is a very good idea Hennie. It has a lot of possibilities.

Another new forum:

Are you new to reefkeeping and new to forums? Unsure of what to do and how to ask questions? Feeling a bit shy to have the masses descend on you? Would you like some discretion for an unusual problem, have you made a monumental mess up of something and don't want the world to know about it? Whatever your reasons, if you value discretion then this is the forum for you. Start a New Thread and we will respond. Your questions can not be seen by other members, only the forum staff (moderators) can see these threads, all questions and answers will be in the strictest of confidence. We will not laugh at you, we will not ridicule you, what we will do is try our best to help you, all done in private.

can we post confessions here as well :razz:

Hennie

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to make a poster 'anonymous'.

What I envisage for this forum is to try and get the shy non-posting members to participate in the forum by allowing them to first have a private session with us, let them get used to chatting on the board with us first, hopefully then they will become active on the rest of the forum. Also, if the member agrees, we will move the thread into the open forum for everyone to see if we deem the thread to be beneficial to the forum.

This is not a forum to hide idea's/concepts, simply a forum for the shy members to get started in. Let's face it, not everyone is into the whole 'internet forum' thing, when I made my first ever post on an internet forum I was as nervous as anything and didn't go onto the internet for 2 days after I had made my post, I was scared someone was going to shout at me for saying the wrong thing or call me stupid etc. Forums can be intimidating to some people, it's like public speaking. The large amount of PM's myself and the moderators get from members that have never posted proves this point, that is the whole idea of this private forum, to get those members feeling comfortable on the forum by chatting to us first.

Here's a comment I just found on the forum, this is the reason for this private forum. :)

We could not think of anything else, and I was still to shy to ask the question on MASA.

Here's a comment I just found on the forum, this is the reason for this private forum. :)

A...errrr... **ahem** similar ** ahem** forum section worked very well on another BB i know:whistling: plenty of usage and it does help to get the more shy reefers posting on the forum more.

i thought i was noticing stuff too mike;) i wonder from where:) its definitly a good idea though. would help a lot. i was definitly a bit shy at first but the warm welcome really helped, then mek lead me astray:)

Back
Top Bottom