2× T5 lamps per reflector?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RocheH, 25 Jul 2011.

1. RocheH

RocheH

Hi guys, just a quick one I have one of these fittings it is a 4× 54w T5 I would like to do a mod on it and make it a 6 or 8× 54w. Will it be OK to position two lamps in one reflector? The reflectors are wide enough to accommodate two lamps. Originally only wanted to keep softies but now want to keep LPS & SPS. Some of the bits that make up the tank if you were wondering: Tank size 4FT, Sump all most 4FT, AM cal, AM denit, AM blue 3000……

Any advice will be appreciated.

PS: The fitting has been epoxy coated it has a splash cover and I have added some cooling fans in the unit two on each end.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey mate. Yes you can put 2 globes per reflector. Obviously its better to have individual reflectors but what the heck :)

RocheH likes this.
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

for the effort, and gain I doubt it. The reflectors are supposed to redirect the globe that is directly in the middle of it, light down to the tank. Somebody wised decided and hopefully tested it properly to get the maximum effect. Individual reflectors are better than a single big reflector.

Secondly, the unit will run a lot hotter than it used to. Extra ballast and double the amount of globes.

If there was any benefit in putting more globes into a fitting, do you not think that Gieseman and Aquamedic and other top T5 manufacturers would have done it by now?

RocheH likes this.
Recent Posts