1st Water change

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by belindamotion, 5 Jun 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Ok...so I tested the Salinity of my BOYU TL450 with a Aquarium Hydrometer and it read 1.019....instead of the safe range of 1.020-1.025.....My Salt is 1kg to 25L, so I mixed 100g to 2.5L......:blush:

As most probably know my Tank is still in "cycle"... 5 months later haha...anyway I took out 2.5L and added 2.5L fresh salt water...my question is....how do I know how much to remove...? 2L 5L...??? How do you work that out...? I think I have about 45L of water in my Tank...really need to master this before I add Coral and Fishes...would hate to do it wrong and loose my wildlife....:eek:

Going to check my Salinity and pray I didn't make a boo boo :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

First off, what refractometer did you use? Elec or those cheap platic meters?? If it was those plastic meters then I would rather ask someone with a electonic refractometer to test your water as those plastic ones are 99% of the time in accurate!! Then your tank size of 60l I would do 2 to 3 liters at a time as raising salinity too fast will shock your tank(if you had fish and corals) and mix your salt according to the manufature recomended amounts.And remember to use RO water.

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

It's called Aquarium Hydrometer Plus with Thermometer..Living Sea might be the make...not plastic...it's a 20cm glass tube with Mercury Balls at the bottom...so my 2.5L change seems to be acceptable as that was the Manufacturers Specs: 1kg to 25L hence 100g to 2.5L and yes...I do use RO Water..:blush:

So if I test now...it would either be within proper range or if it turns out to be.... say to low...do I mix another 2.5L or just a litre or less...

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Belinda (I presume that is your name...), don't stress to much about this - our livestock can (within reason) adapt to a slowly changing salinity, but any large "correction" made quickly could cause them harm.

I suggest that in future, if you need to increase the salinity/SG, you merely replace the evaporated water with some salt water for a day or two, instead of using RO water as would be the case normally. By doing this, the water will very gradually increase in salinity, and you won't stress your animals.

When making up new salt water for a partial water change, you should ensure that you get the same SG reading as your current tank water.

Hennie

6. Ugen

Ugen

I agree with Reef Mainiac,I had the same issue with my salinity and all I did was just do top ups with salt water instead of RO water.Now my levels are all good.

7. Mastazee

Mastazee

Hi i have a TL450 i do about a 10l water change every two weeks seems to work well for me everything is thriving

8. belindamotion

Reef Maniac...I'm at a loss..:( My Tank still read 1.019 after my 2.5L change...this morning I did an additional 1L with 50g Salt Mix...it still read 1.019:dft004: I don't get it...how am I suppose to get my Salinity right if it's the same as my mixture..:confused1:
    I have to take out and add the same amount as I hardly Top-up now as I actually have the heater on to keep the Temp at 24 Degrees....Sigh my Skimmer just went:censored:...no bubbles and hardly any air flow...:dft004:

9. FransSny

FransSny

Bellinda , am I understanding correctly that the mixed water also has an SG of 1.019 ?

Secondly those floater thingies are : shit : , see if a fellow reefer or LFS could check with a proper Refractometer

10. belindamotion

11. FransSny

FransSny

12. belindamotion

Sorry 3G reception shit...Using Tetra Marine Sea`Salt...it was spot on when we filled the Tank up the 1st time...all I can think is that it weakend as it's "damp" definately not dry anymore sigh

13. Mastazee

Mastazee

do you still have the standard airline tubing that came with the TL450?

if you do replace it with a harder tubing that you get at your LFS. I had the same problem the standard pipe that feeds the skimmer is really crap tends to pinch and not allow air flow into the skimmer

Last edited: 6 Jun 2011
  14. FransSny

FransSny

Strange , to be honest...I used it for a long time (not the best of salts but as far as money aspect goes ...not too bad IMHO)

Your mixing calculations seem correct so thats not an issue

The only other thing I can think of is the hydrometer you are using. Unless its the "industrial type" as used by winemakers etc....its no good. Even those (pro models) have to be used in an controlled environment. If budget allows , rather invest in a decent refractometer.....much more accurate.

At this stage you might be trying to fix something that doesnt need fixing.

To use a personal example...I battled for ages with ph readings (used a certain brand of test kits) , when I got my first ph pen I realised I was overcompensating the whole time.

Maybe there is another reefer out there willing to lend a hand ?

15. belindamotion

What would you consider a decent refractometer...? and what make...? I'm definately not going High-end Range as that's probably overkill for my little TL450 but would love input on a decent well priced refractometer...Links would be appreciated..at least then I know how one looks like..!!:lol:

Last edited: 6 Jun 2011
  16. belindamotion

Still the standard airline...thanks will do as you suggested...:)

17. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

This is quite normal, if you have only removed 2.5 liters of water at a SG of 1.019, and then replaced that with 2.5l of water at a SG of 1.025, then you have only added (2.5x1.025)-(2.5x1.019)=0.015 kg of additional salt to the system (leaving water temperature and salt density out of the equation). If your tank holds 60 liters of water at a SG of 1.019, it would contain approximately (60x1.019)-60=1.14kg of salt. Adding the 0.015kg of additional salt would leave you with a total salt content of 1.155kg, mixid into 60 liters (lets assume 60 kg) of water, thus (60+1.155)=61.155. dividing that by the 60kg of water would give you a new SG of 1.0193. (before all the scientists jump up and down, this is merely for illustrative value, I know the weight of pure water at 25C is not exactly 1.000kg/liter, but it's near enough to show the principle :whistling:)

What you needed to do was to calculate the amount of salt that you need to add, after removing the salt with the water that you need to remove to do the water change. Confusing ??, let me show the maths with an example. Say you need to increase 60 liters of water with a SG of 1.019 to a SG of 1.025, by doing a (say) 10% water change. Thus:

60 liters of water with a SG of 1.019 would weigh 60.0x1.019=61.14kg, of which 61.14-60.0=1.14kg would be salt. 10% of this volume (that which you will be removing) would thus weigh 6.114kg, and would contain 6.114-6.0=0.114kg of salt.

60 liters of water at a SG of 1.025 would weigh 60x1.025=61.5kg, and would contain 61.5-60.0=1.5kg of salt.

After removing the 10% water for the water change, the remaining water would have a total of 1.14-0.114=1.026kg of salt. To increase this to a total of 1.5kg, you would thus have to add 1.5-1.026=0.474kg of salt to 6.0 liters of RO water.

Now, as stated above, this is not the whole truth - your RO water is not 100% pure, and the SG of RO water at your tank's temperature is not 1.000, but this will get you into the correct ballpark. I'm also not quite confident in my maths, as I'm currently flying pretty high on flu medicine, so will one of the bright young scientists please check for me :p

I would still caution, as previously, that it is a BAD idea to increase the SG so drastically, so quickly. If I were you, I would rather just replace the evaporated water with water of the correct SG (1.025), or even with water at a SG of 1.030, if you have very little evaporation and are in a hurry (you could also increase evaporation if you blow a fan over the water surface for a few hours, just check on occasion that it does not decrease the water temperature too much).

With the heater now working to keep the temperature up, you should find that evaporation will also increase. This is good (up to a point) as it will speed up the SG correction if you follow my advise above.

Don't know about the air flow (previous advice is good...), but it is quite normal for the skimmer to change after doing a partial water change - with some salts it goes nuts, and with others it stops skimming for a while, but it should return to normal after about 24 hours.

Hennie

18. gavster

gavster

Belinda contact Marco The Waterboy. He has very well priced refracto's and I'm sure he'll be in your area at some stage if you can't get to him.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

@Rex
    great statement, but how much? obviously you do not imply 100%, or even 50%. On tanks 500L and above that would be extremely costly. General rule is at least 10% per week. Nano up to 20% per week.

Replacing all the water on a daily basis will be more detrimental to the health of the fish. You have to have all water parameters exactly the same, Salinity, temp and PH being the most important. And even more so on big water changes.

On 500L system doing a 10% water change and the temp is 5 degrees different, the impact is 0.5 degrees Celsius. So in my opinion, doing 10% water change, the main factors just have to be close enough. Exactly spot on is not important at all. But the bigger the water change, the more the impact. Then by replacing all the water, that is not advisable at all. One day , you will have one main parameter slightly out. With deadly consequences.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2011
  20. belindamotion

Got my Refracto from Marco, couple of days after this Thread...;)

This is a old Thread and I had this problem with my 1st water change..also didn't have any fish or Corals in it...I think Rex is a New Member and "activated" this thread again...:p

Recent Posts