1St tank is running!!!

Reaction score
hi guys
finally got my first marine tank up and running this past weekend.
first had to build closed the stand etc
here are the pics

img-2641.jpg

img-2642.jpg

img-2644.jpg

img-2654.jpg

img-2665.jpg

img-2666.jpg

any comments or advice will really help me out since this is my first marine tank
I did do a rescape on it last night
will update on the pics

just want to say thanks to everyone here will all the advice and help that I received
you guys rock

Try and change the crushed coral asap. I am also using it because I didn't know better when i started. Nothing wrong with it you will just jave to maintain it. I just syphon mine with one of those pipe makgafters. Just a little bit of extra work to get rid of the detritus.

unfortunately that's all I get here in bloem
as I cant get live sand here
I did reach a hand of help out to you and you didnt respond. I drive between the coast and bloem every 3 weeks. Also with our whatsapp group most things you can get easily

Just looking at your stand design and wondering weather you built it yourself?
If you did, why not add a centre brace? And lastly is there a piece of wood under the tank or is it just resting
On the angel iron of the frame?
Good use of a pallet there bud , all the best

Thanks guys
is it too late to add then the sand?
or can I put sand in now while its cycling? or will it be just a mess adding it to the water? @Dian6430 my apologies, Im not on whatsapp, not much into it.
can I pm you with my email and maybe when you come down again to bloem,if I need anything bring it through for me? if it wont be a problem. @weezle, I didn't build the stand,bought it like that, I just closed it up with the wood and etc
and there is no piece of wood under the tank,it is resting on the angle iron quite firmly

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a standard Daro 90L tank (or 3 foot)

The stand can fit over a standard Doro 60L tank. Use that tank as a sump.
Get the top tank drilled, fit an overflow box.

In the long run, that would work out a lot better.

@RiaanP thanks riaan, I was under the impression it was a 130litre tank,but when I filled it I think it was 100 litre if not mistaken.
thanks for the advice,i do have another 60 litre freshwater tank,will def look into that

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, just measure it up. The stand cannot go over another 90L tank, as the stand legs is tapered inwards and will catch the top ends of the 90L bottom tank. But it do go over the 60L tank.

But then again, not all 60L tanks are exactly the same size. So take the measurements and confirm first.

Overflow, you can take any of the designs. Standard simple box corner overflow (about 120mm), Slimline with outlet either at the bottom or at the back. Out the back you first need to check the distance between wall and tank, with fittings you need about 100mm. Slimline minimum 200 to 300mm in length.

Back
Top Bottom