1st Marine Tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Lehan, 4 Sep 2016.

1. Lehan

Lehan

Hi guys,

I've been on the forum for a little over a month now, but never shared my tank mainly because I wasn't happy with my scape but finally took some time this weekend and think I'm finally getting somewhere. Please give your thoughts if you guys think there's anything I can improve.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

masahello

Welcome @Lehan. Setup looks good so far. Plenty of swimming space and a nice selection of fish as well. I would move the Zenia rock on its own as what you have done with the GSP because once they start growing they will be difficult to stop and putting in future corals will be a problem then. Otherwise it looks good. Maybe give us a full description of your setup and what your plans are for it. Maybe a photo or 2 of the sump and a FTS will also be nice.

4. Lehan

Lehan Thread Starter

Thanks @EFJ, Will definitely move the Xenia, just need to get more corals :)

Will get you guys some pics of the sump tonight.

The tank is 1.4 x 700 x 450
    I'll check the sump dimensions tonight but It's about the same length of the tank.
    The sump is pretty basic I have a filter sock connected to the overflow stuffed with filter floss which I clean every second day. In the second chamber I have small pieces of LR, Matrix and de-phospahte media. I plan on getting a protein skimmer in the next few weeks so doing more water changes than I should to compensate for that. I also have a Seneye reef monitor which I have to say I am loving. I use the Seneye and test kits together and it seems to be pretty accurate.

Please let me know if I missed anything.

5. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

With the live rock in the sump it can trap detris which can lead to unstable parameters. My advice will be to vacuum that area every month or so. The Seneye and Matrix are excellent additions to the tank. Just to mention because I am not sure if are running it in the sump is to add activated carbon. Other wise it all seems fine from the description that you have given except for the missing skimmer (which you are going to purchase). Just make sure the skimmer can handle at least 1.5 the total volume of your tank. I would toss the filter floss and just stick to the filter sock. If to much stuff is coming through then just get a finer sock.

6. Lehan

Lehan Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice @EFJ. Yeah I added the filter floss to make sure no detritus gets into the LR/matrix area. Didn't even know you could get finer filter socks, that will definitely work better than the filter floss.

Thanks again for all the help!

7. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

No problem bud. It's always good to ask it can save you a lot in the long run. Oh, and another thing you might need to look at is 1 or even 2 powerheads for that added flow in the display (will help with future corals and nutrient control). The 3 most important things to a good setup is flow, lighting and stability where flow is considered the main one of the 3.

8. Lehan

Lehan Thread Starter

Thanks man. Yeah looking at two RW-8's on each side. Is it better to have two pointing at each other from either side or two at the back pointing forward?

9. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I have mine on opposite ends of the tank pointing upwards agitating the surface of the water on alternating times.

r0ckf1re likes this.
  10. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Got mine the same, tank seems to like this more than direct heavy flow.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

11. Lehan

Lehan Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks guys! Will definitely give that a try!

Recent Posts