1st marine tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Completebeginner, 1 Apr 2011.

1. Completebeginner

Completebeginner

Hi guys I originally set up a tread in the boyu tank category but have decided to move to the beginners. I bought a second hand boyu 550 about 2 weeks ago and have it up and running since last Sunday. I have 10 k of live rock in it and it's already starting to grow little mushroom type things on it. At the back in the 1 st compartment I have my skimmer in the second is some live rock rubble in the third I have been advised to but some green algae but to wait a little while and in the forth I have my pump. Ideally I'd like to keep fish and corals.friendly colourful fish if possible. Any suggestions more than welcome as I'm clueless
    I have ordered some things of the net and am awaiting their arrival
    1/ 2800l/h koralia power head
    2/ second heater for water changes
    3/ second pump for water changes
    4/digital thermometer
    5/ d&d refractometer
    Any advice or criticism would be very much appreciated
    Thank guys:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Good luck with your tank. I have exactly the same setup.
    I am not sure the "green algae (I assume you are referring to Chaeto) will survive in the back chamber due to no light. It needs light to grow.

The standard skimmers with these tanks are useless. I had a WG308 and WG310 running with not much being skimmed. I did a DIY monster skimmer that works like crazy. You can also think about a Reef Octopus / Reeftek BH-100 External Hang-On Skimmer. They can be plumbed in very easy.

Regarding water changes. I do not use a heater to get the temp corrected, too much hassle. I fill the kitchen sink with hot water and place the container in it. A few minutes later temp done (I only do this in the winter, in the summer the temp is already very close).

Looking forward to some pics.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2011
  4. Completebeginner

Completebeginner Thread Starter

Thanks max I'm nearly sure my skimmer is the wg 110 I will have to look at getting a better one . The guy I bought the tank of said he used the green algae so I'm hoping there is so sort of light for it if not I'll have to sort something else out. My bulbs are upgraded to 72 watts would this help. I live in cold cold Ireland max so even in the summer the water would prob be to cold.but not a bad idea for heating it
    What type of set up do you have FOWLR or do you have corals too. And what way is your filtration set up
    Thanks for your post Jamie

5. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

6. Completebeginner

Thanks max will have a look now

7. Completebeginner

I actually seen your thread all ready very very impressive diy work. I would concider myself handy but tha ts way out of my league your clearly a diy expert. Would really like to see the updated pics. I'll try get some of mine not that there's much to look at but how and ever. I noticed what I can only describe as a tiny little white star fish. How long should I wait till I get a " clean up crew " just one of my live rocks is already starting to gather a fair bit of algae

8. Completebeginner

Hi guys was hoping my stuff would arrive in the post today but no such look:(
    Matt what is the capacity of your to power heads I really like your set up what type of corals did you use and is that an angel you have(uneducated guess)

I plan on doin about a 15% water change on Sunday should I do my water tests before or after the water changes?
    how long do I wait before I add the cleaning crew just I'll be heading to my LFS on Sunday and wanted to check on here before I took there advice?
    Is there anything else I should be doin that I'm not or anything I'm doin that I shouldn't be
    Thanks guys , Jamie

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

How long has your tank been cycling? If it is still cycling then dont do water changes. Let it naturally cycle. Test the water once a week

10. Completebeginner

I only put the water in last Sunday so not even a week yet Although I'm really looking forward to adding live stock I'm in no rush as I want to get it right. But green algae is starting to build up on my live rock. Would it be to soon to get hermit crabs etc?.I intend to test my water every Sunday is once a week enough?

Recent Posts