1st Anemone

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Perceygl, 11 Sep 2010.

1. Perceygl

Perceygl

Hey there

I want to buy my first anemone, but i need to know more about them, i already know about the water parametres they need, but is there any specific info i should know.

Per

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Welcome to masa glad you decided to join us.

I am sure Brenda will ask you the following.

1) How long has the tank been running that you want to put the anemone in.

2) What are the current water parameters.

3) What species of anemone do you intend to keep.

4) What will the other tank inhabitants be.

5) What is the filtration.

6) Tank size.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

7) What lighting do you have over the tank.

5. Anemone

Anemone

In addition to the above, do you know what a healthy anemone looks like? Stay away from white anemones. Make sure the foot is not torn and the mouth is not wide open. Also make sure the tentacles are the appropriate length for the species. If the anemone is attached to a rock, try to purchase the rock. If the anemone was recently shipped, ask if your LFS will hold it for you for a week or so. Also ask your LFS to feed the anemone. If the anemone is not able to hold onto the food and bring it to its mouth, pass on the anemone.

If you have clownfish in your tank, let us know the species, number of clownfish, and the size of each.

6. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

7. alarkins

alarkins

Any reason for staying away from the white anemone? I have a white Florida (name as the LFS advised me) with a bubbletip on opposite sides of the tank. Also did not like feeding and retracted but then after 3 days it took the food exceptionally well.

8. cassie1

cassie1

Sorry guys just want to say something to follow the threat. I also want to learn. Thanks :thumbup:

9. Anemone

Anemone

Yes! White anemones are what we call bleached anemones. This means that they have lost the zooxanthellae that lives inside of them. It is a common problem with anemones, especially those that have been harvested from the wild and/or shipped. With excellent water parameters and equipment, the anemone can recover. This does take time, possibly months.

Interesting that you have a "White Florida" anemone.....Here in the US we have seen "African White" anemones......There are no such things!!!! These are just names that someone put on the anemone to make you think that "White" is natural for the anemone, when in fact it is very sick.

Mixing anemones is not a good idea unless they are clones.

Please give us the run down of your tank, equipment, water parameters, and tank mates, and we will try to help you with your bleached anemone. Also what are you feeding the anemone? How often, and what sized portions? How long has your tank been up and running?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  10. Anemone

Anemone

Oh, and ......

welcometomasa

We hope you enjoy your stay!

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  11. Mannetjie

Mannetjie

HI Hi , I am also new and have spended so much money and all dies... also want to follow the out come.

12. Anemone

Anemone

Hello Mannetjie and welcometomasa

Please tell us more about your tank so we can help you identify what went wrong.

13. alarkins

alarkins

Many thanks for the reply

Interesting you mention the zooxanthellae - very concerning and as an avid scuba diver I don't like this practise!!. I honestly thought this was normal and hence the pull to get one of these "different" versions with the pink tips. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Started the tank in September 2010. It is doing exceptionally well in the tank and has grown three times larger than when I picked up the little one originally (28/11/2010). I feed the anemones every 2-3 days with either piece of raw prawn or Lance Fish (heads and tail removed). Size is approx 2cm. Add daily 10ml Red Sea Coral Grow & Mysis for the rest of the tank. Both of them are doing exceptionally well (my view :)) I have attached a word doc with pictures of both anemomes from about a week ago - they are both bigger now. That being said all invertebrates and coft corals are thriving. Once a week I add some Spirulina powder.

Water parameters
    kH Alkalinity- 8
    pH - 8.4
    Temp - 25 Degrees C
    Nitrate - 5 to 10 max (at 10 I do a 20-30% water change)
    Nitrite - 0 - to 0.01 max
    Ammonia - 0 to 0.25 max

Tanks mates - 1x 3bar clown fish, 2x red fire shrimp, 1x hermit crab, 1x cardinal, 1x mandarin goby, 4x green chromis and some new additions coming out of the live rock recently (exceptionally small)
    Other corals - acropora, gonipora, yellow sponge, pipe coral, pink finger coral

Tanks setup -250l water in main tank, sand base - 5-10cm thick, 30kg live rock, Reeftek skimmer, heater (not used as room temp is adequate and ni spent more time controlling the cooling as temp can easily get to 27 @room temperature.), UV steriliser, 3x flow pumps (only 2 active at night)

I really appreciate the help and would love to assist to "recover" this creature.

Attached Files:

14. Anemone

Anemone

You’re welcome alarkins!

You may actually have two healthy species there. The E. quadricolor (BTA) has excellent color and tentacle length.

The second…If that is a Condylactis Anemone, it too looks pretty good. They are often found healthy and white. When I state that white anemones are unhealthy, I am referring to hosting anemones. The Condylactis is not a hosting anemone. More information on the Condylactis here: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef/anemones/images/PinkTippedAnemoneWRA_P144.jpg&imgrefurl=http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef/anemones/PinkTippedAnemone.php&h=340&w=400&sz=36&tbnid=AFsdSqJbWann4M:&tbnh=105&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflorida%2Banemones&zoom=1&q=florida+anemones&usg=__ae2h4oXLxU-RVD4nEQHPuqr_Ink=&sa=X&ei=qtUiTe6kM4vvngequsWeDg&ved=0CBsQ9QEwAQ

Sorry for the confusion there!

Your tank is pretty young to be keeping an anemone. They need mature tanks. The recommendation is 9 – 12 months before adding an anemone. It is also to new to have that many fish. Stocking slowly is best.

It also looks like your E. quadricolor is expanding in order to gain more lighting, and I don’t see your lighting listed. This is likely why your anemone has grown so fast. Could you list your lighting?

I would also cut the portion size down to at least half of what you are feeding now.

You may see some aggression with keeping 3 clownfish. Keeping one male and one female is best for this tank size.

The mandarin, they need live foods. It won’t do well long term in your tank. They need well established tanks with a heavy pod population.

What is your salinity?

Last edited: 4 Jan 2011
  15. alarkins

alarkins

The "quadricolour" picture was taken the day I put him in the tank so yes it has changed since then - looking much better right now and consistent size. There is a single clownfish only which has never left this anemone since arriving at the LFS (3 bar) with 4x small green chromis and a single cardinal.

You are spot on on the white anemone - thanks for the link confirming this - phew :)

I was informed that anemones are able to be kept from 3 months - thanks for the revised information

Salinity is 1.024 - 1.026
    Lighting is dual T5 54w lights - 1x white and 1x blue.
    Anemone is on the floor of the tank and under an overhang right now on the initial rock that it arrived on. Should I then move it closer to the light?

16. Anemone

Anemone

Slowly get your salinity at 1.026 and keep it there.

Good! Only one clownfish!

Don't move the anemone. It will only stress it. It will go where it wants.

Two T5 bulbs are not going to be enough lighting long term for this anemone. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Also, post an updated pic on the E. quadricolor when you get a chance.

17. alarkins

alarkins

Working on doubling the lighting - just some "financial" constraints as the stuff is not cheap here is SA - Jan is a seriously LONG month after early pay in December :(

Anemone moved this week and has now found a lovely spot about 15cm higher up in the tank and settled in nicely.

Atatched pic taken last night at 00:30 (why I was awake I have no idea) when all was quiet and sleeping :)

Attached Files:

18. Anemone

Anemone

Lighting for reef tanks isn't cheap anywhere! :(

You're anemone looks great as far as color! Lots of zooxanthellae there.

It does look like the tentacles may be a bit shorter than they should be, but it's hard to say for sure. This could be an over feeding issue, under feeding, or something is stealing its food. Either way, it is far from starving to death, and can easily be corrected.

If you have already cut down on the food portions, continue with what you are doing and give it a week or so and see what happens. If no change, cut down a bit more on the size. If you have any questions or problems, let us know.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2011
  19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree on the smaller sizes used for feeding. I mean think about it. What are the chances that a whole or even half a prawn reach the bottom of the reef floor in the ocean? It is mostly only small pieces of meat reaching anemones and LPS corals, that's why I used to feed mine only pieces of around 6mm.
    Also, it might look like the nennie is eating it, but if it is too big, it might spit it out later on when you don't see and other inmates will eat it.

alarkins likes this.
  20. maxisoft

maxisoft

:welcometomasa2: to MASA

21. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Welcome to MASA.

What type of hermit crab do you have? If red-legged hermit, they are predators of Condylactis anemones. Keep an eye out for 'severed' tentacles floating around the tank. :(

Recent Posts