1M X 1M Cube Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 24 Aug 2010.

1. brentv

brentv

Hey Guys,
    I have a mate that i want to help to build a 1mx 1m x 600 cube in the middle of his living area.
    I've built a few tanks before including my own 2.7x600x600, but a cube is slightly different and I want to have it 4 panel viewing, with a central column to take the water over flow to the sump. was thinking about a 150x150 for this with a 50mm hole drilled in the middle of the base panel.
    Glass in 10mm with bracing of 100mmx 10mm all around the bottom and 50mmx 10mm across the top?
    please guys do you have some pics of something like this and ideas on do's and don'ts???:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I had a 1m x 1m x 600 high tank, but my overflow was internal on one of the sides. You can check through my signature for the link.

4. Mekaeel

5. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yeah Mek, I did actually go through that thread, thanks!;)
    Just a quick one what did you think of your lighting for yours and if you had to do over what do you reckon would be the right configuration for lights. It's gonna be a mixed reef! Was also wondering about LED's???:whistling:

6. Slummies

Slummies

a reefer in EL has a tank like this.. something that he did which i would recommend is run CLS and have the return coming from the base therefore you dont see any pumps

7. Mekaeel

Cool man :)
    I had 2x250w Mh's over this cube, it was ok. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would go with 12x39W T5's :)

8. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Sorry Slummies, I haven't studied all the abreviations on this site yet, what is CLS?:whistling: .. haa haa thanks mate!

9. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

In 3 ft Mek???
    ...and LED's still to expensive? or is anyone making a unit that will work over a meter by meter!

10. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

Brent its a Closed Loop System;)

11. Slummies

Slummies

thanks clint

12. Mekaeel

Yes dude. LED's I wouldnt mind if I can get a decent unit at a decent price that has proven itself to promote good growth and color. :)

13. durleo

durleo

Brent - cant you make the cube 1.2 x 1.2 then you can use 54w tubes. The price of 54w tubes is the same as 39w and ballasts are cheaper for 54w. Speak to lanzo about the cube they are building - its quite nice. It has 4 viewing panes but an overflow along the top edges.

14. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

OK so drill 2 holes a 50mm for the outlet and say a 20mm for the return pipe in the same column... Nice!!!;) kinda like the Aqua H2O's have!! I like!

15. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Ok Cool Durleo, so to fit the 4ft tubes make it 1.2, but can I still get away with 10mm glass? (maybe 1.2Mx1M) know it's not really a cube as such but with a central overflow column I will still get the 4 panel view, I think maybe for lighting this could be an easier shape??

16. neo

neo

When using a column as return into your tank, make sure the sump can handle the drain when the pump is switched off.
    This I dont know but, if your return and overflow sit very close together, wont it cause bad surface skimming? because alot of the returned water will just go back down the overflow sitting next to it ?
    Maybe do the column thing for the return but do it in one or two of the corners (maybe all 4 corners) and then you have surface skimming from the corners to the centre overflow, you can 'paint' the corners with black silicone to hide the return column.

17. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yeah Neo you have a point.
    I think it is a good idea to bring the return up the same column, but don't let the water be released near the overflow, rather put an elbow or 2 and extend the return water to futher out this should solve that problem... pipe wont obstruct to much of the lighting! then all 4 panes would be un obstructed, also I would think of maybe putting a powerhead on all 4 sides of the overflow column, this should make sure the water is filtered properly!

18. neo

neo

hmmm, i was thinking of having the return column as a glass box only with no pipes, only the fitting at bottom for the water to enter and fill the box untill it overflow at top and into the tank, pipe and elbow would work yes.

19. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Seems the current LED technology is no better than T5's from a lumens per watt perspective. That means they are currently a lot more expensive for the same kind of power output. Seems like even routine globe replacement of the T5s only gives one a break even case.

I'd wait another year or 2 to allow the technology to develop as well as the price to come down.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ok, what about taking 2 polario units, maybe the new 10ML and put that inside the central collumn. One above the other and at a cross. Just fitting, with holes cut at exactly the openings. If it does not seal properly, it does not matter that much. As lonf as more water goes over the overflow than past the polario. But standpipe inside should be higher than both units, and passing them in one or two corners. Return line can be in the other corner.

No other internal pumps needed.

OR

build the central box with slimline overflow on the one side, Return line in one corner as Neo suggested. But rest of collumn should be dry inside Higher walls, even above the overflow side. And then inside fit 3 Vortex pumps, with only wet side visible pointing into 3 directions. Wires can go up into light fitting, or down to sump. Again, no other internal pumps te be seen.

Or last one, have your CLS inlets build into center collumn, with multiple return points all facing outwards. But outlet points will be fixed. With Vortex, uou can move them up or down a bit.

Also make center collumn black. Tint it on the inside.

21. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Reckon for this build I'm gonna stick with T5's and gonna stay with a 1000x1000 DT so probably a 3ft unit with 8-10 globes!!!:whistling:

Recent Posts