18w PAR 38 eurolux ??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by neo, 3 Feb 2010.

1. neo

neo

howdy,
    i've been browsing Builders for lights for my sump and there was some 18watt par38 style globe from eurolux, get them in cool and warm white and looks like about 37 lums per watt.
    Anybody using them? you think normal energy savers is better ?
    this globe sells for R75 with 6000hr live time...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Energy saver better

4. Megalodon

Megalodon

I find them to be slightly underpowered, and not properly waterproof. For the same price @ the local electrical outlet you get Osram 20w reflector CFL's which are more powerful. I just wish I could find the par 38 CFL's in a wattage higher than 18 or 20w... anyone know where some can be found in the JHB edenvale area?

try and get lights that are water resistant and with a reflector for your sump. the eurolux is a bit overpriced for the power IMHO and not water resistant enough.

5. neo

neo Thread Starter

Found the OSRAM par 38 at Makro, 20watt, and it states on the box that it is 50lm/watt, unlike the 38lm/watt of the eurolux. Eurolux also way cheaper at Makro than Builders BUT the OSRAM is pricy - R120, ouch, I'd rather then go for a normal energy saver.

6. Dane

Dane

my vote is for the normal energy saver too...

7. Megalodon

Megalodon

I found the Osram for R75 at an electrical shop in Edenvale....just carry on Linksfield until after the KFC... one of the shops on the right next to Bunny's auto spares.
    Maybe you could find it cheaper at a local electrical shop?

But yeah, for normal sump lighting an energy saver should be fine.... for an algae scrubber with water going near the light, I like the added safety of a sealed unit like the Osram though.

Recent Posts