1500x900x475 Rimless starfire journey starts

I like the horseshoe bay idea. Maybe bonsai island on the other side. Have always loved that. Maybe put the horseshoe by the overflow side and build it up a bit to hide the black of the overflow. Tank can basically be viewed from all sides so have to keep that in mind too. Yes @butcherman I can't wait to see where this will end up either! One thing though, I have got quite a couple of tiny pieces of rock. Will it hold if I use Pratley putty? Say if I build a overhang or so?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it should hold, you can use plastic rods or cable ties to hold while it cures

use this one
PuttyStd.jpg

or
phpThumb.php

use this one

The original is a few bucks cheaper and takes a few hours longer to set so if you want it to set faster but the box in the microwave for 25sec on medium and when you remove and work the two "fingers" together the heat makes them "catalyze" faster this is great if you are using a few boxes and want to save a few bucks. It will be hard to the touch in about 3 hours but set rock hard in a day even underwater.

Last edited:
Looking very nice!If you don't mind me asking where did you get your yellow wrasse?:D

@Mrclownynennie the wrasse is from Pretoria petshop.
@Keeganp no only the butterfly was caught! But have caught some many nice fish this past season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go shallow on left and one arch 2/3 on the right

That was my first idea. Going to play with it all a bit. Just concerned, won't the live rock die when out of the water while the putty dries a bit?

Dunno Cheri, according to all the reefkeeping rules and regulations on this site, I am contradicting every single rule and law, yet I've been running several tanks for many years without ill effects.....
And I take all my rock out and build pinacles out of the water. I also do not run all the new "miracle" additives. Why add stuff if NSW and good seasalt have everything inside already.
There, I have said it..lol

If one walks barefoot all his life, your feet becomes hard and you can "bend" a thorn if stepped on, but if you used to pamper your feet and wear protection, your feet becomes soft and even a pebble can hurt if stepped on.
I have the same believes wrt reef keeping. People treat them as if they are babies, and with the slightest change in anything, the tank inhabitants bare the effects....
My fish can probably do 2 lenghts in an olympic freshwater swimming pool and still come out fine......he he

as long as the rock is kept moist it will be ok. But you will have some loss of higher organisms life.

I have to agree with sean. I actually cant tell you half the things I actually do with my tank because it will be frowned upon. But I get the results I want.

I have always believed in taking risks in my reefing years. But have a contingency plan in place such as using stability to assist with any die off that may occur after you have been working on your liverock out of water

lol i have my radical ways which are frowned upon, but they work :)

as for scaping i am one that doesnt like arches, it creates more wasted space than useful...
i like chaotic rock placement like you find on the reefs

Back
Top Bottom