14cm Naso Spazzed out and died in 2 hours

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by DeanVand, 16 Oct 2009.

1. DeanVand

DeanVand

Hi All, today was a bad day, I going to give a little info first. I have a 1.5 meter Tank, with 1.2 Sump, Octo Skimmer, DSB, 8 t5 Geissman 54W lamps, 20K water flow. All parameters are great, 15% water change Weekly with Deltec Salt and RO. Aragonite Bed, in Display and Sump. That’s the basic hardware, inhabitants: Tomato Clown Med-Large, Emperor Angel small, Leaf Fish (small) Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Med) Blonde Naso Tang (XL) Regal Tang (Med) Flame Angel (Med) Spotted hawkfish (Med), Sea Hare, Hermits, Large Long Tentacle Anemone, XL Large 45cm tall Colt Coral, Hammer coral x1, some polyps. Anyway that’s basically it. This morning, my tank lights came on 2 by two as usual when the first 4 lights were on. I saw my Large Tentacle Anemone discharge a milky substance, so I worried a little, took a closer look, and he started pulling himself into a ball. So I reached in to net him and quarantine him. While I reached down to get him the net rubbed up against the sea hare, and he went crazy and inked all over the tank, knowing it is not toxic, but weary, I removed him and stuck him in the quarantine tank too. At this time all my fish were awake and chirpy. I then fed them, all of them darted for the food as usual, and ate really well. A few minutes later, my XL Naso Tang started twitching, then swimming from one side of the tank to the other. I watched him for a bit, then he twitched some more, and then more severely, to an extent of swimming into the substrate, then floating up against the power head, helplessly falling to the ground again. I filled another quarantine tank with 1/3 display tank water, and filled the rest up with new salt water, the salinity a little lower, temperature exactly the same. It was soon apparent that there was no hope for the guy. His breathing deteriorated within 1 hour and by 2 hours stopped all together, twitching severely in-between. There we no scars, no infections, not even one spot on him, coat was perfect, tassels from tail where amazing, ate like a pig. I do not know why this happened, and if anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.
    Thank you

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

sorry to hear about your loss, a fish that size is a real beauty.
    i can only surmise it being some form of shock, the closet symptoms reveal mercury poisoning but you said all was ok, so it could be from the anemone i will read up further

4. DeanVand

DeanVand Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply, Parameters were fine, all other fish perfect, they were still eating while he started spazzing, I am trying to read up on it. Anemone prime suspect

5. dallasg

thought about it more, are the other fish all ok?

it does seem strange that only one fish affected which makes me think mercury isnt the prob, it misut be localised to the fish, maybe hole in the head, but that would leave leasions on the fish.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2009
  6. dallasg

it could just be he got "scared to death"

i had something similar where my clowns jumped out the tank when the lights turned on, maybe it was just a bad fright, i know it sounds stupid but i can happen

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Dean - what about the possibility that the naso actually got a piece of the anemone tentacle in? I lost a huge number of fish when my nemmie (which survived the ordeal), somehow, reached over 30cm away, against 35000 litres of water flow, and got stuck into my one SEIO power-head, that was behind rocks. This was only the tentacles of the nemmie that got into the SEIO's water intake....

This resulted in the nemmie's tentacles being chopped off, and chopped into tiny pieces. Which my pigs of fish devoured.

They too reacted in exactly the same way as you described. They, of course, thought that the nemmie tentacle pieces was food, and went to eat it. They got stung from the insides, by the nemacysts.
    They were basically paralyzed from the inside out, and was not able to really "breath right" any longer. Basically drowning.

8. magman

magman

Sorry to hear that, I think maybe the nemmie was discharging waste, did the naso not get stung at all by a nemmie?

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Dean sorry to hear about your loss...

10. Annoying

Annoying

Extremely sorry for the loss a naso is a beautiful tang! It's propably the nennie.

11. IMarine

IMarine

age possible, normal death

12. DeanVand

DeanVand Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I also think it is the anemone, that could be possible, because when the lights came on the Naso was very close to the anemone, wasn;t close to the power head though, but the anemones discharge was right were he was sleeping. Well I got rid of the anemone, he wasn't looking great. Probably won't get another. Thanks to all for the replies and feedback.
    Take care

Dean

Recent Posts