145l Frag Tank

Reaction score
Good morning all. Hope you guys are well. It's JG Beeslaar here

Finally got around to starting a big tank (to me its big)

Got a Frag Tank which measures 900x400x250

Equipment is a bubble magnus qq2 skimmer which might get upgraded to a curve 5 later on
Return pump I have a Jecod
Lights I'm using 2 kessils (A150W ocean blue)

Tank stood around a bit as I was out of money. But 6 October it got filled up.
Yesterday it was running a entire month, used dead rock and sand but I used some seed to cycle tank.

Tank has a few soft corals like the mushrooms I got from @Dexter and I think 2 zoa frags I bought from @ryanvtec and a piece of gsp I got in a trade.

I've took a long while to get here. And I want to thank all the guys for their patience. without you I would not have been here where I am today.

I've took all the advice I got from the guys and put it toghether, and now I have myself a dream shallow reef, I still have my Boyu Tl450, only has my clown Nemo in there for now, will be shut down very soon.

We are going to builders today to get a jump net, then I'll move my clown.

When we return from our December vacation I'm going to get corals and fish.
Here's what I'm planning on getting:

Fish: Tailspot blenny, 2x banggai cardinals and not a fish, but I'll get a cleaner shrimp as well.
Coral: I'm looking at buying whatever I like, first research them, not planning any SPS.
The dream list is:
Torch
Hammer
Lots of zoas
Rare mushrooms
A favia or 2
And A LOT of gsp

Sorry for the long message guys, I will definetly post pics as soon as I can. Tank is really a stunner.

I was looking at getting a leopard wrasse but I read they are not so easy to keep, anyone that has kept these ones before with advice?

20221105_193437.jpg

I was looking at getting a leopard wrasse but I read they are not so easy to keep, anyone that has kept these ones before with advice?
Wait until your tank is established before you think about adding a leopard wrasse. They can be very difficult to get eating after shipping ( they don't ship well ).

Your best chance with one is having a large and established microbiome with all sorts of pods ect. That way it can feed " naturally" until you can wean it onto frozen foods

Thankyou very much for the advice, I've read up on them a bit and I think I'll leave it for now. When I find a way to get the net on my tank without falling I'll add my clown then later the month I'm getting a tailspot blenny and cleaner shrimp

Good idea, glad you're getting a jump net. That's going to save plenty fish in the long run

I don't want to risk losing fish, I just got a simple net from Mica, so now I have to figure out how to get it on without it lying in water, think I'll have to build a frame. This is just temporary until I have some more money to buy a proper jump net.

Buy signage clip in frames from mayzies in PTA

3D print inserts that clips onto the tank and allows the frame to rest in top of it. I can help with printing these

Good morning. I've already got a net, and yesterday I got steel from Mica, so I'll see what we can build this week. Hopefully someone is taking my boyu this week, then I'm using the money for a auto feeder and an auto top up for December. Then I'm going to make sure all my parameters look good before I add another shroom which will be fine but also getting a hammer again. And then I'm getting a cleaner shrimp and tailspot blenny, and then I already added my clownfish.

Amazing having a big tank:swim:

Don’t use untreated steel. It will rust quickly.
Those snapon frames from Mayzies are nice and aluminum.

Don’t use untreated steel. It will rust quickly.
Those snapon frames from Mayzies are nice and aluminum.
Noted, thankyou very much. It's pretty thin, it's 90 degree, don't have a picture now as my dad has it with him

Good morning. I've already got a net, and yesterday I got steel from Mica, so I'll see what we can build this week. Hopefully someone is taking my boyu this week, then I'm using the money for a auto feeder and an auto top up for December. Then I'm going to make sure all my parameters look good before I add another shroom which will be fine but also getting a hammer again. And then I'm getting a cleaner shrimp and tailspot blenny, and then I already added my clownfish.

Amazing having a big tank:swim:
Hi, i was browsing rebelpets online and saw they have what you looking for, think it was 30bucks for plastic clips to rest your screen or egg crate its a neat alternative, hope that helps you out

Hi, i was browsing rebelpets online and saw they have what you looking for, think it was 30bucks for plastic clips to rest your screen or egg crate its a neat alternative, hope that helps you out
Hi, if I don't come right with this idea I will definetley give that a shot, thankyou very much

Good morning all. Anyone running their tanks on OR3 blue plus bars only?
Can you maybe post a picture of how it looks, maybe want to get one

Looking good.

I too am looking for some jump net ideas. Had a stroll in Leroy the other day and came across 'trunking' in the electrical department.

There were a few different sizes but the 16mm x 16mm looks rigid enough. My plan is to take 4 pieces and cut them at 45 degrees. 3d print a 90 degree cleat that could be inserted in to the ends and somehow secure them. It would look really neat. Best thing would be, you could just stretch your net over the frame and clip it into place.

And then like others suggested, print clips for the rim of the tank so that the jump net sits on the glass. Only problem is it's white in color

Last edited:
Looking good.

I too am looking for some jump net ideas. Had a stroll in Leroy the other day and came across 'trunking' in the electrical department.

There were a few different sizes but the 16mm x 16mm looks rigid enough. My plan is to take 4 pieces and cut them at 45 degrees. 3d print a 90 degree cleat that could be inserted in to the ends and somehow secure them. It would look really neat. Best thing would be, you could just stretch your net over the frame and clip it into place.

And then like others suggested, print clips for the rim of the tank so that the jump net sits on the glass. Only problem is it's white in color
Can't wait for my net to be finished. Then I can put my clown in and shut my Boyu down to sell it, and then next year after the holiday, buy a lot of coral:m01:

Morning. Yesterday my dad picked up 3 zoa frags, a one head fruit loop, 5 head dragon eyes and 3 heads horizon, lovely frags. My dad and a friend made jump net, so putting net on today then moving clown and shutting down boyu, we going on holiday so using money on feeders and top ups. When we get back I'll add a bit more softies and of course then the LPS comes. Might get my hammers and shrooms before we go away as well as buy one on a black Friday special.

Back
Top Bottom