1000l 2m tank filtration

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Dean Schreuder, 20 Sep 2013.

1. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder

Hi Everyone , Im finally jumping into the huge tank section..Now is the question what would you run in a sump for a tank this big, bio cubes I don't thing would be viable due to the amount u might need?
    Dsb would need to be huge also been looking into the remote dsb with a plastic bin?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My display is 750L
    I got the "main" DSB of 800 by 600mm
    And a second remote DSB in a standard Daro 4 foot tank. , so 1200mm by 450mm

Can always use the space above the sand as a refugium if the bin is deep enough.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

bio cubes need to be replaced once every 6 months and for a 1000 liter system you might be able to get around with around 1L of the stuff if your bio load is not high and you don't over feed. at around 1000 rand per liter of cubes that's not too bad .. you'll need 2000 rand a year for your filtration .
    DSB is a good choice but you need to consider the footprint and the fact that it will take few months for the DSB to be fully established. remember that your DSB needs to be at least 3/4 of the surface area of your DT in order to be effective thus I'm not sure if the plastic bin would be OK. if you are going remote DSB rather build it out of glass and make it the right size. the glass with allow you to monitor the DSB not only from the surface but from the sides and you'll be able to see how is the bacteria in the DSB developing

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the smallest percentage DSB I run successful was 33% of my display. OK, not too heavy stocked system

But as we all do overstock, or stock light until the fish grows bigger. I will not go for smaller than 50%.
    If you do have the option of a remote space for a sump then why not.

Same argument I just used can be held against bio cubes as well. 1L will not be enough, more likely 1.5 maybe 2L.

6. K_ONE

K_ONE

This is not correct.

You do not replace your bio cubes, they are consumed and thus the volume of cubes you are using reduces over time.

Adding more cubes every few months is what you should do.

~R2000 initial investment for cubes.
    ~R500???? maybe per year for topping up.

It all depends on consumption rate of the cubes/bio load/environmental affects/etc.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2013
  7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmmmm let me seee

id go with a LR and refuigium system here... the LR being kept from growing corraline due to them being in the sump (unlit) will definatley keep their filtering abilities stable for the longterm provided the chamber is fairly turbulent to provide enough oxgenated water to the LR allround..

big skimmer if not 2 (if you go with 2 id skim wet one one andry on the other...

id also design a settlement chamber where detritus can settle and easily be removed when waterchanges are done...

simplier the better...the refuigium should be the most untouched so as to allow optimal pod life to provide a natural food sorce for the system

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

OK sorry I should've said replenish. having problems today using my phone not really used to the small keypad. however I doubt that in a well stocked 1000 L system 500 rand worth of cubes would be enough for a whole year.

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have a pretty high bioload with 22 odd fish in a 5ft and i replace 1000ml every 5 months.. and im not aiming for ULNS but rather to assist with taking the free floating nutrients out... so im probably only dosing half of what i should if i wanted to get closer to an ULNS

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

so about 2000 rand a year in biocubes is correct from my previous post? OK don't have any experience with biocubes bit I'm considering using them for my new system which would be around 200L total volume. I've read about the cubes quite a lot and that's where I got the idea of needing to replenish every 6 months. not all at once but if one starts with a 1000ml of cubes in six months another 1000 would be used to replenish what has been used

11. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder Thread Starter

What do u guys think of liquid carbon dosing? Using a drip method at 0.1ml per 100l then using two skimmers one wet the other dry? Obviously i would dose with prodibo or stability..

12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i dose NoPoX in my 40L nano which is quite heavily stocked and to be honest i'm very happy with the results. nutrients are always almost 0 and phosphates are not too far away also. also with NoPoX your dossing quantity depends on the how much nitrates and phosphates you have and where you want to get them according to the tank size, not really just amount of NoPoX vs. tank volume.

13. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

another thing i like about NoPoX is that one can control the amount of Nitrates and Phosphates in the tank eg. if the values go below desired levels just stop dossing for few days and then start again. NoPoX works very well with MicrobLift bacteria, so if you go that route i suggest you dose bacteria as well.

14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

one problem i see is that your system is quite large so you you'll require large quantity of NoPoX which can turn to be expensive... i think providing carbon source in a reactor in the form of pellets or cubes can even be cheaper in the long run.

Unless you want to try and dose some Vodka which will be cheaper than NoPoX but i can think of better things i can do with a bottle of Smirnoff :)

15. Dean Schreuder

Haha agree with u, will get tipsy.... One 0.1ml for tang and 1 tot for me lol..
    Have seen it will cost me +- R1200 for 250days supply of NoPoX and R800 for a supply of stability

16. Dean Schreuder

So R100 for vodka sounds the cheaper option its getting the dosage right... Anyone have some experiance in this field..not drinking but dosing..

17. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

you might find it will even be less than that. because as you nitrates and phospahtes go lower you also reduce the amount you dose, unlike when you use vodka where even as No3 and Po4 go down you actually have to keep on increasing the amount of vodka you dose every day..i've been reading online about people who dose almost 200ml of Vodka daily... yes thats right DAILY.. which in my opinion is a total waste of good booze.

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

you will have to get yourself some No3 and Po4 test kits tho because the amount of NoPoX you have to dose is determined by the levels of the nitrates and phosphates in the system. in the beginning when i first started the Red Sea Reef Care Program i was testing every second day so i can monitor the rate at which the nitrates and phosphates go down. now i test once a week sometimes i even skip and test only once every two weeks just to make sure that the levels are stable and im not actually going too low, eg. having 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates is not good for corals unless SPS..

Recent Posts