1000 litre upgrade

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by michael10, 10 Dec 2012.

1. michael10

michael10

We've been in this hobby for a few years now and a few months ago upgraded to mornes old 1000 litre tank. Having run a few smaller tanks in the past we thought it was time to uograde.

The tank dimensions are:
    1,5m length
    0,7m width
    0.85m height

Sump Dimensions ( with DSB)
    1,3m length
    0.45m width
    0.45m height

Lighting:
    12x T5 bulbs

Skimmers:
    1x TS3 skimmer
    1x Reef octopus BH1000 HOB

Flow:
    8x boyu wavemakers

Current stock
    2x cleaner shrimp
    2x regal tangs
    1x yellow tang
    1x emporer angel ( im aware that its not 100% reef safe but so far so good)
    1x hawkfin
    1x sailfin
    1x copperband
    3x pyjama cardinal
    4x fire fish
    1x royal gamma
    2x clown fish (breeding pair)
    1x foxface

Numerous corals and hermits, snails etc.

We are still completely open to suggestions and comments both positive and negative.

A few queries we have over the tank:
    • having 12x T5 bulbs replaced every 6 months or so with geissmann and other bulbs we believed that the lighting would be more asthetically appealing. The lights are on a timer and when they come on they give a nice purple/ blue and white balanced effect but gradually throughout the day the light effect becomes more yellow, why is that?
    • our corals always seem to do exceptionally well for a few months or so then gradually begin dying or just becoming smaller. We perform 25% water changes every week alternating between aquarium water and self mixed saltwater and dose coral enhancing products every stipulated time required. why then do our corals not seem to thrive?
    (The water parameters are tested regurarly and show no evidence as to why the corals shouldnt be doing well)
    Any advice/ comments are welcome

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. michael10

michael10 Thread Starter

attached below please see pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
  4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Looking good, what skimmer are you using?

5. michael10

michael10 Thread Starter

oh right, we are currently running 1x TS3 skimmer and 1x Reef octopus BH1000 HOB

6. michael10

michael10 Thread Starter

This site is so dissappointing.

A few members have asked why I have been so quite on here and it is this exact same reason that i took a break from the site in the past. It seems that in order to get advice/comments one needs to be an extremely regular poster or a moderator.

Everyone always seems to have a million comments for each and every post of peoples tanks but can never respond to any of ours.

We try hard to keep the tanks up to the standards of peoples tanks on this site and all my post could get was a quesion on the skimmer being used which is clearly visible.

Anyways its been alright i guess, although im sure there was plenty knowledge and advice to be shared since i wasnt a mod i guess i missed that boat.

cheers

7. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Michael10,
    It is a pity that you feel this strong about this site. I have found it quite a great learning tool, and will advocate for the good of MASA.

However, I do agree with you to some degree. It is unfortunate that your thread did not get the same attention that you expected.

Who are the "ours" that you are referring to? Have you joined a group of reefers, that are also registered users of MASA, or perhhaps you have joined one of the regional groups? ( I cannot see your location)

Another point to take into consideration, is that people tend to read long posts, and do not have time at that moment to reply, then simply forget to come back to them. Or the site refresh with so many other threads that they cannot find it again... (I've had that happen a couple of times... (Blush)

But I do get your frustration. Especially if you have a system that you can be proud of, and that has been running smoothly (as by the looks of it, yours seems to be doing quite well)

I would not lay the blame at being unpopular, it might just have been an unfortunate time for posting (added that you did post in december, when holidays were starting) and your thread fell through the cracks...

But please do keep posting. And rather add questions that you would like answers to, in a different post. That might also aid in better response...

If you feel that I offend you in any way with my post, I do apologise beforehand, it is not my intention. I would just love for everyone to get the same benefits from the site as I do. Regardless of whether you are a frequent poster or not.. ;)

8. JS

JS

Hi, sorry to read your last post.....kinda sucks....its really the first time i see your thread, problem is, the people that post regularly's post always show up on the main page...so people just tend to see the last activity...etc....thats how I ended up on your now....;)

As for your questions: The bulbs becoming more yellow - I have not experienced this...your tank does look a bit white...do you run any actinics?

As for the corals, please post parameters (I know you said they are fine, but please list)

Alk
    Mg
    Ca
    Ph
    No3
    etc

Besides the concerns you have, the tank looks real good!! Keep up the good work!! :thumbup:

9. Smithers

Smithers

Tank looks good like the arches you have done, have you not considered MH for a tank that deep? I have always wanted a big ass tank like that :)

10. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Hey Michael. Nice to see you finally started a thread on the tank. Making me miss it now:(
    Tank looks good by the way.
    What colour mix of tubes are you running?

11. seank

seank

1st time I see this thread. If it does not pop up on the new posts page, I am surely not gonna go into the forum amd check every single post...
    Btw, nice tank..... What skimmer is that.......lol, kidding, just had to do that too..... How many fish do you have in the tank?

12. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

@Micheal10

I know how you feel.

Keep on reefing. I do it for myself and my family.

The forum is a great help most of the time.

Please post some new pics. Any change that you have mode on your tank recently?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

OK, yes, the question on the skimmer make, is a very valid one. There are so many makes out there, and seeing an old school TS3 with a foam head is not something we see often nowadays. I know its a TS3, as I got one spare in my garage. Guys involved in this hobby foir a year or less, who only know about bling bling cone shaped skimmers, will not know what a "simple" TS3 can do.

I like the depth of your tank. But you need some height with the rock stack. Maybe get some bio rock and use that as base. Or use short pieces of PVC pipe laying flat under the rocks. That way you score 50mm in height plus nice sleeping quarters for blennies.

I do agree that the tank is very white. What light combinations do you run?

Just some other unrelated info. MASA hits about 250 new post on around 60 threads per day. I know, I try to keep up. I had no unread posts this afternoon. Now, 7 hours later I have 100 unread post on the dot. I can understand why some threads just goes unnoticed.

14. Seabass

Seabass

Also missed this one, how goes it? And welcome.

15. Tla

Tla

hi i seem to have exactly the same problem as you. my tank starts off white in the morning and by the afternoon its yellow and then when i feed in the night its white again. also with the corals, my softies have all gotten really small the past few weeks, even my anemone is half its size when it inflates. iv done almost a hundred percent water change in about 2 weeks but didnt help, just got worse

16. Falcon

Falcon

Hi michael10 sorry for not looking at your post earlier but i was taking a sabbatical for a year or so from the site!Lol seriously though we all tend to look at the most recent posts by clicking "new posts" so threads with more posts tend to get even more response like a exponential growth while others just pass through because it hasn't caught on initially (probably because of not many people online when it was posted)

But lets get to your tank then,looks fantastic and I love the height gives it a open water look,my big reef is almost that height at 75cm but there are two issues with such height:

It can be difficult to work in it especially near the bottom so I'm sure you have a nic elong set of tongs by now and secondly you will need MH lighting if you want your corals to thrive at that depth.For your size tank 2 x 400w mh will suffice and you can maybe leave 2 x t5's to make the lighting look more uniform.

The t5's simply do not have enough PAR at the lower depths for your corals.I had a similar issue in my tank with 75cm depth but once I upgraded to a 400w 20k mh my corals are thriving at all depths including lps,softies and the one sps colony i have in the tank.

It need not cost you a lot of money even but you definitely need to remove all of the t5s besides maybe two and add 2 x 400w mh instead,pm me if you want to do an inexpensive DIY 400w mh conversion with 20k globes and ill point you in the right direction (should be under R1500) or you can find a unit with 2 x 400w mh at least 50cm apart.

P.S I am assuming all your water parameters are correct like alk,ph,calcium,magnesium etc?

Last edited: 9 Feb 2013
  17. Falcon

Falcon

Sounds like you have too yellow globes,but why don't you make up your own thread to discuss this issue.;)

18. ATV

ATV

stop whining mike, from uncle george

19. mornewil

mornewil Morne

hey michael. Any updates?

Recent Posts