100% Water changes

Reaction score
Guys can I ask a question
000200C1.gif
Would it be good to do a 100% water change every month if I had an indefinite supply of good quality,filtered NSW.Or would it be better to do less,say 80% 0r 50% every two weeks.
0002014F.gif
What is the ideal WC quantity and frequency
000200C1.gif

too much would mean basically needin to reacclimatise the fish so not good. eighty is ok, just did an eighty percent one and my corals are goin nuts! haven't had such big extension for a while! they love it!

too much would mean basically needin to reacclimatise the fish so not good. eighty is ok, just did an eighty percent one and my corals are goin nuts! haven't had such big extension for a while! they love it!
Well 70-80% is better any way,I wouldnt need to drain the tank level down too far then.I also did about an 80% the other day and man did my mushrooms love it.

Would it be good to do a 100% water change every month if I had an indefinite supply of good quality,filtered NSW

In this case, I would do a large (70%-80% water change every week, or better still, have a continuous slow exchange 24/7 - that would be as close to ideal as one could get without having the resources of (say) Two Oceans or Ushaka, where they have a continuous replacement of their water.

Hennie

Think of this. In nature a 100% water change happens every couple of seconds :whistling:

With regard to the above comments, yes, a constant flow would replicate the sea, but in our case any more than 10% weekly will upset the chemistry in our tanks, we do our best to replicate the sea but in earnest we are a million miles away, unless you can have a system with a constant change of fresh sea water, then a 10% weekly change is probably best.

Agree with Hennie, a constant flow like an open system would be first prize, however my next bet would be smaller, smaller 20% changes daily etc. Although the effort might not be worth it for you.

100% water change every month I'd say no. That's one biggish shock every month. If you are doing large water changes daily and the water is consistent then it should be fine. If you do want to do a 100% water change rather change 20%, then next day 40%, then next day 60%, then 80% then as close to 100% as you can.

Goodisor If I were you I would rather change 20% every day....If you let me drill your darn tank it will be easy :)

Goodisor If I were you I would rather change 20% every day....If you let me drill your darn tank it will be easy :)
You are just itching to drill that tank aren't you....don't even dream of it:nono:I have a rotweiler you know!:razz:

Think of this. In nature a 100% water change happens every couple of seconds :whistling:
Howdie Warr.Im glad you're back.I hear what you say,i suppose the land locked guys have no way of such elaborate WCs but i can change unlimited amounts of water as often as I like.Im seriously thinking of setting up a continuous flow,what you think
000200C1.gif

Howdie Warr.Im glad you're back.I hear what you say,i suppose the land locked guys have no way of such elaborate WCs but i can change unlimited amounts of water as often as I like.Im seriously thinking of setting up a continuous flow,what you think
000200C1.gif
just you be careful about what flows continuously into your tank bud, a lot of nasties in our ocean.
000202C3.gif

just you be careful about what flows continuously into your tank bud, a lot of nasties in our ocean.
000202C3.gif
Scuba.The water I get is already filtered and crystal clear,pure stuff.No living organisms in it,It took alot of effort to find such a source.So no stress,the water is goooood
00020110.gif
:slayer:

For me 100% water change will be like in the winter, you being inside a building, warm, cosy, sigarette smoke, old farts...
Then
go outside for on hour, cold FRESH new air, can breath, happy
then take that air inside (leave the door open for a while) go back in and repeat the process.

Sooner or later you will have a cold.

Frequent smaller water changes IMO are the most ideal - 5 to 10 litres a day if you have the time and energy for it.

Back
Top Bottom