1 st attempt at marine

Discussion in 'New Members' started by aragorn101, 3 May 2010.

1. aragorn101

aragorn101

evening all , been keeping lrg tropical tanks for a few years now .after a week at the coast snorkelling the bug must have bit.I must admit im totally clueless and am sure Ive allready made mistakes ,but thats how you learn so all the advice is wellcome.wanting to have something of the rock pool type setup but with your advise will get there.running 1 week .still no readings other than slight high ph 8.8 first 2 days .used ro water from kitchen (dam that took long)tank details

main display (my brakish tanks old sump)
    60l X 30w X 30h water level 26cm
    temp 26 salinaty 1025
    crushed corall substrate
    rock donated by freind at lfs
    and old corall from my brakish ?
    1 small 6500k light (all my existing lights are 4ft ) plan to get a small mh pendant if required

sump
    48l X 23w X 30h
    water level max 22cm
    compartment 1 dsb 10 cm high 50%sand from lfs marine 50 % silica
    compartment 2 2kg ceramic rings
    compartment 3 dynamax xp30 skimmer & 2 100w heater
    compartment 4boyo 2500 lph return .
    inlets and outlets 25mm

from what I think I know its now just wait for cycles to run and be paitient ?
    will post pic asap giving me invalid file msg ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fires

Fires

Hi Aragorn101,Welcome To MASA !!!

We will help u to get ur tank up and running !!!

1st U must get rid of those Ceramic Rings.

Please post some pics of ur tank & sump...

Regards

Shaun

4. aragorn101

aragorn101 Thread Starter

thanks pics on profile so far

5. Fires

Fires

Ok,The sump must only have 3 compartments.

1 Must be ur skimmer
    2 Ur DSB
    3 Ur Return Pump

Heaters can be inside Compartment 1

Most of the members Sump's works like this.:thumbup:

6. aragorn101

ok so dsb into the middle with rock on it ? will just break out the middle baffle
    skimmer & heater in comp 1
    pump in comp 3
    why no ceramic rings ?

7. Fires

Fires

The Ceramic Rings are a Nitrate Factory!!!
    Put some Reggies Playsand thats been washed about 10 times and ontop of that a bag of Aragalive.Then u will have a stunning sump.:peroni:

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined. Please post some pics for us of your setup. A sump can have 4 compartments as well where the
    1 - skimmer
    2 - DSB
    3 - carbon or phosphate media, scrubber, cheato, etc
    4 - return

If you want a reeftank, no bio-balls or ceramic rings as they cannot convert nitrates to nitrogen like a DSB does. However if you want to ALWAYS have a fish only setup, then they are fine.
    Please read the link in my signature on how to start your first marine tank, you will find a lot of answers there regarding the cycle, water parameters, lights, etc ;)

9. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

10. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

11. aragorn101

thanks guys .im going to pull the 2nd glass on the sump remove all the ceramics and add more sand .will post pic when done .cheers

12. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi and welcome to MASA

13. PeterL

PeterL

Howzit bud, welcome to MASA. With your determination and the loads and loads of information provided on the forum, you will get the end result of a successfull system. The links provided by the experienced guys is 100% worth reading, you need to understand the fundimantals of why you are doing things.

I made an error in not learning why I am directed to do things, every thing has a perpose and reason behind it, learn the in's and out's and with proper understanding from the very begining and you will succeed and grow your reef knowledge on a daily basis.

14. Trev

Trev

Hey aragorn great that you have started a marine tank ( bath water belongs in the bath:) ) On reading your first post I have two comments of which one you may have already sorted out and that is, having your inlet to the sump flowing directly into your dsb chamber will be a disaster as the current will be to strong for your dsb, Im not saying you dont need flow over a dsb infact you do but it needs to be constant smooth flow if that makes sence and the water must pass through a defuser of some sorts which is normaly your 1st skimmer chamber, so I know your changing thi sbut just bear in mind the flow over the dsb is vitaly important for it to be effective and stable. while you are breaking down your sump and redoing it make the 1st chamber just big enough for your skimmer and heaters, make your return nchamber just big enough for your return pump then your dsb will be as big as possible. There is no sense in having 20mm of wasted space on ether side of your skimmer or return pump when this could be a bigger dsb.

Ok second thing is your total water volume is going to be on the small side and this is a problem as your water parameters are going to be tricky to keep stable very tricky. Im not saying its impossible but its hard infact I kept a nano of the similar size with no skimmer no sump just natural filtration and it was awsome as far as a challenge goes but I have just shut it down because I am not able to spend the time that I had been spending with this tank to keep it good where as my two big tanks basicaly run them selfs. So if you can maybe get a 3 foot tank or even a 4 foot it will make things much easier for you, but if this is not possible then stick with what you have. You will learn amazings things on your reefing journey and also that this is not mearly a hobby but more of a science and keeping a sucessful nano is like the tip of the summit.

But you have the right idea with a skimmer and sump there are many newcomers at the present moment that think a marine aquarium is a glass box with saltwater and awsome expensive fish and corals and are ignorant to the real requirments of a marine aquarium where as you are on the right track and also seem to under stand the cycle which is another sore point ( I can write a book ) so thumbs up to you and keep up the good work and remember only bad things happen quickly.

Trev

15. Trev

Trev

Infact what I would reccomend is that you pickup a 3foot or 4 foot display and use your current display tank as a sump

Trev

16. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

17. aragorn101

thanks for all the advice guys ,did the the mod on sump last night
    1st chamber skimmer ,heater 2nd (biggest chamber) dsb .will add more sand tonight 3rd chamber outlet pump.the skimmer and pump just fit so all the space is going to dsb.

YES a bigger tank will be easier my other tanks are 1.5m brakish ,2m jardini arowana tank .1.6m planted .im still testing the waters so to speak and not quite ready to sacrafice the other tanks yet and the mts has firmly been stoped by the other half.so if i can do it small scale and enjoy it ill only keep my aro tank and
    use the other 2 as tank and sump..

do i need to have a light on the same hours above my sump or dsb as the display tank ?

Last edited: 4 May 2010
  18. Garethmur

Garethmur

They say alternate between the sump and dt to stabalise the ph...

19. Garethmur

Garethmur

Sorry, answering the lighting question here :whistling:

20. aragorn101

AROs new 4ft

Afternoon all
    small update.
    I put my knee thru the small sump half way thru last month(dont ask )
    as a result .I converted my 4ft malwi tank to marine.
    specs are DT 122X45X60 water hieght 55 with dorso side overflow,sealed up the bottom opening on the overflow..Substrate is mixture of play sand ,small bag of argonite,crushed corrall.lights on timers .currently 2 t5 marine blue 2 standard t8 white for plants.busy working new light setup
    inside tank I have 1 seio 5000 lph circ & 2500lph circ.

sump 80X39X40 changed to 4 compartments 1 : inlet 10cm
    2:skimmer section 30cm .3:dsb30cm. 4: return 10 cm.
    currently have small skimmer in comp 1 and dsb in 2&3 while I wait for a skimmer.
    if I CAN FIND ONE THAT FITS in comp 1 I will break out the middle baffle giving me 60cm dsb.
    sump has 4500 lph return

added R.O slowly .aquamedic salt and the water from small running tank ,DSB and live rock to the sump.on wed 2 06 10
    first test on sat.
    temp25.5
    sg 1025
    ph 8.6
    alk 2.5
    nh3 0.25 nh4 00.5
    no2 0.2
    no3 2.5
    Added 20 kgs cured base rock and 5kgs live rock on monday 7 06 10
    tested today again
    temp 25.5
    sg 1028 ?
    ph 8.6
    alk 1.7
    nh3 25
    nh4 0.5 ?
    no2 1.
    no3 50+
    So I guess from this the cycle has begun and I can sit back and let it do its thing ?
    what have I missed > what have I done wrong ?

I cant upload pics,gives me an invalid file option,how do i post pics in replys via attachments
    url='http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=27012'][​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG]
    url='http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=27014'][​IMG][/url]

Last edited: 13 Jun 2010
  21. aragorn101

should i be wet or dry skimming at this point ?

Recent Posts