Z Power P4 series LED's

Just some food for though on this topic. If your power supply is rated 2-30V at 700mA it doesn't mean that it will drive a 3v led with a max current rating if 350mA to 700mA. Only if the led is rated at max 700mA or more will it pull that much current or if the output voltage of the supply is increased to more that what the led can handle. Current is not regulated by theses led drivers but the voltage.

Hi ScottK

Don't wait on communica for any component if they dont have stock they wont have for months unless you order a large shipment. Rather try Rs components they quit expensive but good service, current Automation (for power supplies only) the used to be the best in pricing or Digikey also good but not local.

Just some food for though on this topic. If your power supply is rated 2-30V at 700mA it doesn't mean that it will drive a 3v led with a max current rating if 350mA to 700mA. Only if the led is rated at max 700mA or more will it pull that much current or if the output voltage of the supply is increased to more that what the led can handle. Current is not regulated by theses led drivers but the voltage.

So I should be ok if the max mA of the led is 1000mA and the driver is 700mA? The forward voltage is 3.3v so for a string of 6 I calculated I need at least 20v.

So I finally got a chance to put everything together, not 100% the way I wanted but I must say I am pretty impressed.

I could only get one driver (Mean Well PCD-25-700) so I had to run the two strings in parallel for now. I am pretty happy with the light output in the configuration but would still prefer separate drivers per string so I can set the blue and white to my liking.

I am also not sure what type or where to get a dimmer, the PDF states I need a AC phase-cut dimmer and that it works with leading or trailing edge TRIAC dimmers, anyone got any clue what this means? Will a normal rotary dimmer be suitable?

WP_20131112_002 (Small).jpg

WP_20131112_003 (Small).jpg

WP_20131112_004 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Will a normal rotary dimmer be suitable?

If you mean by a normal a potentiometer "variable resistor" then no. You can only regulate these supply's by means of a TRIAC dimmer "Light bulb dimmer" and only at the input of the supply. Basically in lamens terms what they mean by Ac phase cut is to cut short the period that the supply unit needs to be on.

You can try by placing a potentiometer in series with the one line of blue leds to reduce the current consumption but don't know if this will work as the supply might adjust itself by increasing the voltage.

To my knowledge that what they supposed to be selling at builders but cant confirm, look around online and try to get some specs. Just one thing to mention make sure the the "dimmer" can handle the required input load from the supply.

Back
Top Bottom