Your next photographic purchase discussion thread

Whaaaaa!!! So I was asking opinions in this thread on possible upgrades as I dropped old faithful 350D in the river over new years.

Well, yesterday I managed to get a Canon 60D with a EF-S18-200mm IS lens with just over 4000actuations for R6000 !!!!!! I am SO FREAKING IN LOVE WITH THIS CAMERA!! Hahahaha!

Best part is, all of my dads old SLR canon kit works with it! So I have a fixed 50mm, a sigma 300 zoom (no IS of course tho), and a few others, as well as a rad grip, a remote, and a bunch of other accessories.

What I wanted to ask, is as an affordable boost to my zoom abilities before I can get some really decent tele glass, is using a 2x converter on the 18-200mm IS lens a reasonable option? Mostly shooting wildlife and birds....

Also, has anyone used the DIPAC underwater "bags"?

Thanks all

Man I wish Nikon would hurry up already and release the D7100, I am itching to buy a DSLR and almost bought the D7000 many times, only to be held back by rumors of the D7100 this year.

I used this camera a few months ago in the Alps and again now while I am in the Indo. / Asia region, I am a click and shoot guy and this camera makes taking beautiful pictures seamless.

I know the 5D's etc are pro cameras right? .

Last edited by a moderator:
Whaaaaa!!! So I was asking opinions in this thread on possible upgrades as I dropped old faithful 350D in the river over new years.

Well, yesterday I managed to get a Canon 60D with a EF-S18-200mm IS lens with just over 4000actuations for R6000 !!!!!! I am SO FREAKING IN LOVE WITH THIS CAMERA!! Hahahaha!

Best part is, all of my dads old SLR canon kit works with it! So I have a fixed 50mm, a sigma 300 zoom (no IS of course tho), and a few others, as well as a rad grip, a remote, and a bunch of other accessories.

What I wanted to ask, is as an affordable boost to my zoom abilities before I can get some really decent tele glass, is using a 2x converter on the 18-200mm IS lens a reasonable option? Mostly shooting wildlife and birds....

Also, has anyone used the DIPAC underwater "bags"?

Thanks all

The 60 is very nice. You really scored. The teleconverter will not work for you as you will lose autofocus since the Long end of the 18-200 is F5.6 IIRC. Add a teleconverter and you will get F11 with a 2X converter. All the bodies apart from the top of the range 1D and now 1DX lose autofocus over F5.6. And a teleconverter on less than superior glass will give you very crap images.

Man I wish Nikon would hurry up already and release the D7100, I am itching to buy a DSLR and almost bought the D7000 many times, only to be held back by rumors of the D7100 this year.

I used this camera a few months ago in the Alps and again now while I am in the Indo. / Asia region, I am a click and shoot guy and this camera makes taking beautiful pictures seamless.

I know the 5D's etc are pro cameras right? .

I dont think the 7100 will be so much better than the 7000. And the 7000 is an awesome camera as you stated. I would rather spend a little less and take the 7000 and an extra nice lens if you can.

To tell you the truth the camera bodies are not that much cheaper overseas, not sure about lenses cause I don't even have a camera. Looking at the D7000 you average with a 100-118 lens between R10k and R13k.

The 60 is very nice. You really scored. The teleconverter will not work for you as you will lose autofocus since the Long end of the 18-200 is F5.6 IIRC. Add a teleconverter and you will get F11 with a 2X converter. All the bodies apart from the top of the range 1D and now 1DX lose autofocus over F5.6. And a teleconverter on less than superior glass will give you very crap images.

Thanks very much marius. Going to have to save up for a decent IS zoom lens for wildlife. Hmph.

Anyone have recommendations on a good entry level high zoom canon lens for birding etc?

Ok, I'm confused, How does 12800 shutter buttons only = 2815 pictures?

doesn't the 128 start counting from 100, therefore its only counted up 28 x 100 = 2800 shots?

did we ever clarify what this meant? looking at an older camera and trying to tell its age

Back
Top Bottom