Yellow Tail Damsel vs Regal Tang

Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchased a Regal Tang (5cm) for my 300L Setup. Strangely, I have had 2 Yellow Tail Damselfish (around 2-3cm) for quite a few months with other Tangs and no problems. However, when I added the Regal Tang the one Damsel decided to brazenly attack the Regal, while the other Damsel couldn't care less. What would you people do, separate the two or just wait and see if the faze passes?

Last edited:
Hey Tony

i think ist owing to the fact that the colouration is the same, isolate and let the regal recoup and then try reintroduce. if it persists consider removing the offending party.

Leslie is that a offer to help me catch it? :p hehe jks. Ile just have to figure out how to catch the damsel

Last edited:
I had the exact problem a while back, my normally chilled yellow tail went mad and started attacking the regal like crazy, must be the colour similarity

Storm, where've you been hiding? Good to see you again. :)

Yellow tail damsels can be seriously aggressive and he will need to be removed, if he stresses out your regal too much then he could break out in white spot and in a worst case scenario could infect all your other fish and you end up with many losses.

Ive been "lurking" lol. And what i think ile do is put the damsel in a my breeder-cage latched onto the main tank till he decides to chill. Ive seen Damsels and Regals co-exist before but the Damsel just needs time I reckon lol

Last edited:
lol, cool, good luck in catching the little bugger.

Yellow tail damsels stay to the bottom of the tank, and each claim max about 30cm square to be his territory. Regal is still small but bigger than the yellow tail. And in another day he would have settled in and the tables will turn. Yes it is the colouration, and I had the same as well. After 2 days it was sorted.

Yellow tail damsels stay to the bottom of the tank, and each claim max about 30cm square to be his territory. Regal is still small but bigger than the yellow tail. And in another day he would have settled in and the tables will turn. Yes it is the colouration, and I had the same as well. After 2 days it was sorted.

Yea, thats why I asked what you people would do. Should I intervene or just leave it to sort itself out. But I think ile wait till tonight, if its still chasing it, Ile put the damsel inside a separate container within the tank.

you got a 4 foot tank? correct?
Then Regal should have more than enough space to get away. It is just that as he is new, and still unfamiliar of where to go, that is why he kept on stumbling into the yellow tails area. And because, as a new inmate he want to hide, the regal took the wrong place as a hiding spot. Regal will learn to stay away from that spot, as soon as he is comfortable with the other inmates then things should be sorted.

I see they have calmed down so I was worried for nothing. No need to catch the damsel anymore. :)

Back
Top Bottom