Yellow Star Polyps are putting out fuzz

Reaction score
My Yellow Polyps are covered from their base out about 6" from the colony in all directions with this fuzzy mat with like airholes in it. I'm guessing it's them spreading. How do I control them? They are on a large rock and the fuzz is getting up next to other corals. I don't want it covering my favorite zoa's. Is it them spreading? What do I do? (I think they are yellow polyps, not yellow star polyps.)

Last edited:
this%20thread%20is%20useless%20without%20pichers.jpg

I have the same problem they spread like weeds and are covering my zoas.
I use an old plastic glass scraper to scrape them off the rock it can get a bit messy so I normally do it just before I change water.

picture.php

I took a soft bristled toothbrush and brushed away the mat from the zoa's and the base of the sea whip. It was pretty easy to do. Here's what it was looking like.

Last edited:
Where are the star polyps?

Most likely an encrusting sponge of sorts. And thats not yellow star polyps, its called yellow bali polyps. They are parazoanthus. Their sting is quite strong and will cause your purple gorgonian to retract its polyps. I have them even covering live SPS corals. They are very nice but can become a pest if left uncontrolled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom