Wynie's Boyu TL 550 startup

Hey charl. In the 2nd pic they were, but they currently blowing just under the water level towards the front glass. One blows accross the other. No direct flow.

Unfortunately the subtrate must stay for now. Im doing 2 small water changes and syphoning everytime.

Removed the sponge. Have filter floss which I replace with every water change.

The first pic is what the scaping looks like now. Pic 2 was in the very early stages. It was just to show the light unit.

Oh, i see. Sorry, my bad then. looking at the second pic, looks like you have a lot less algae. Good husbandry will turn your tank into a gem, and looks like you are doing a good job.

Thanks bud. I believe the problem was the rock. Even after the cycle with nothing in the tank, the gha just took of. It must have beem fed by something.

Atm theres only a mower blenny, and some cuc in there.

Hopefully I clears up now. I removed the suspicious rock on Monday night

Looks like things are coming on nicely, other than that algae.
I find the best way to deal with hair algae is finding the right snail, which can be hit and miss.
For me the trochus and false trochus are the best for hair algae.
One thing is they don't seem to eat it when its long, so sometimes you have to pull it out manually to get it short enough for them to eat.
I used to sit with a bowl of clean water and pull it out rinse my fingers pull out some more, until it was under control.
What are your readings of phosphates and nitrates?

The nitrates is 0. Tested again last night after the water change. Ill do a PO4 test tonite and post the results.

I unfortunately only have yhe one turbo snail. Ill keep a lookout for those snail's.

Must say the mower blenny is also helping a lot. Eats grass like crazy

The lawnmower blenny is good for the longer stuff, with him in the tank a bit of hair algae is not a bad thing.
This might sound crazy but I have been trying to plant hair algae in my small tank for my jester goby.:lol:
That light you have is always going encourage algae growth, but you won't regret it when the coral start to grow.

@Mc you must just shout and ill send you some easily. Trimmed about a pudding bowl full 2 weeks ago. Corals are already showing great growth.

What is your lighting period in your 550?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is about 10 hours, if it is more than that the algae goes too crazy, I also have leds.

@Mc went through your tank thread about a week ago. You probally have the best 550 in SA. Really unbelieveable.

I turned my lights down to 8 hours unti I get the algae under control. Was also at 10hours

Tested some paraneters tonight:
kH: 6
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Phophates: undetectable

I also started dosing stability on Monday. Will continue the daily dose for the next 2 weeks.
Also have special blend, but dont want to mix it with stability

Thanks Wynie.
I have never used stability or really seen the need for it, but the special blend worked well for me.
The kh is a bit low what salt and kh test kit did you use?
I normally keep my kh between 8-9, at the moment there isn't really anything in the water that would take it out, but you still want to keep it up as it can effect your pH.

I like the amount of live rock you have gone with, it will be a big benefit for filteration and coral placement.

Im using sera test kits. I know they are not the best, but will only be able to get better kits at a later stage.
I was thinking of dripping kalkwasser. 2l over a day or two. Good or bad idea? Read somewhere it helps to keep the kh and ca up.

Also my algae seems to be growing a bit slower with the 8hour lights.
Either that or my mower blenny just became my favourite fish :)

I used the sera kits for a long time they not that bad and the kh kit is fairly accurate not 100%.
Try test the water before you put it in and see if the kh is low.
I wouldn't start with kalk on this tank, if anything you can use alkalin 8.4, there are a few brands that make it I have been using brightwells for about a year I add it to the top up water and it keeps the kh at the right level. I only started having kh problems when I had a few sps, but my salt (red sea coral pro) does have quite a high kh to start with.

I also wouldn't start dosing calcium unless it becomes a problem.

Thanks for the help @Mc. I use aquaria salt. Dont know why its that low. Will test the before the next water change.

No worries good to see a few new TL550s again.

@Charl_Stanhope. Took your advice and changed the subtrate to live agronite.
@Mc, @SeanR

What do you guys think? The algae is a bit more under control

20130925_172143_1[1].jpg

I think it looks good.
Just be careful that wrasse can become a bit aggressive specially to fish that are added after it and even more so the hawk fish if that is what I am seeing.

Hey
At the moment they are chilled.
The other one is a dwarf hawk. falco hawk. Not planning on adding much more fish. Maybe 2 or 3 more.
Now everything must just grow

I had a small little hawk almost like they, he became very aggressive.
Specially to new additions, had to catch him and sell him after he killed a few fish.
Hopefully yours is better, but I still wouldn't go for very peaceful or shy fish.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind. The next fish im planning on stocking is 1 or 2 green chromis. Will then see how it goes with them

Back
Top Bottom