would this work?

Reaction score
hello all.
i eventually have everything for my new tank.
will be moving into our new place in about 3 weeks or so and decided no to start the tank untill then.
couldn`t wait though. decided to set up a remote system with about 220lt of water to get the water cycled in the mean time. it consists of a 150lt tank that runs into a compartment that houses the skimmer and then over my sand bed of about 50cm by 45cm and then gets pumped back again.
Will this help to get the water cycled in the mean time or am i waisting my time?
oh ja, got a live rock from a friend today and also placed it on the sand bed:thumbup:

i think if you move that sand bed later the anaerobic bacteria in there will die

Martin - this will indeed work. You might have a tiny mini-cycle when you are moving this tank, as well as add extra water and new sand into your main display tank, though. Get some extra bacteria for the move, though.

Martin,

you raise a point that is a common misconception.... the water itself does not need to cycle........ the cycle is effectively the build up of bacteria in the system....this bacteria resides in the DSB (for the most part) the amount of bacteria in the water is negligable ........

to answer the Q, if you are seeding the remote DSB and hook that up to your new system it will most certainly help.... just make sure the DSB is 15 - 17 cm deep min !!

i think if you move that sand bed later the anaerobic bacteria in there will die

just a little correction here, unless i am wrong, anaerobic refers to oxygen poor environments.... in the moove, your aerobic (bacteria requiring high oxygen levels) would die off long before the other bacteria. the aerobic bacteria live in the upper half (ish) of the DSb, the anaerobic bacteria lives in the lower part ..... thats why we need at leaast 15 cm

the setup
21084a79de8dd39ee.jpg
21084a79db17b2d85.jpg

Thanx, will get some live rock asap. got enough playsand and araganite en my dsb. also added the one piece of live rock.
amazing to see all the little goggas running around already.
how long did yours run before you moved it over?

Add away and add more when you have finished moving your tank. It helps with the mini cycle from disrupting your tank

thanx, another question.
i got a bottle of stuff called cycle.
added some of that. does anyone know if it`s a good thing?

just a little correction here, unless i am wrong, anaerobic refers to oxygen poor environments.... in the moove, your aerobic (bacteria requiring high oxygen levels) would die off long before the other bacteria. the aerobic bacteria live in the upper half (ish) of the DSb, the anaerobic bacteria lives in the lower part ..... thats why we need at leaast 15 cm

My point exactly about the anaerobic bacteria. If he physically has to move the sand out of that remote system into his proper sump/setup, that anaerobic bacteria that lives in the lower part of the dsb will die in the move.

Back
Top Bottom