woke up to no power

Jacques just a quick question,not really for myself cos I have an inverter and battery powered airpumps (2).
Are airpumps alone enough and how many should be running per how many litres?

Hi FishFood - I have 2 on my 2 metre reef tank, and one on my 1.2 metre tank. The 2 metre reef tank DT is about +-650 litres of water (with the sand and rock taken into account). The 1.2 metre cold water tank is 300 litres.
BUT, I would say that this would actually much more be rated on how many fish you have.....

I have these too, but how do you get them to come on automatically when the power drops ?
Amalick - mine comes on automatically. The 220 volt plug is only to keep a 220 volt relay "open". once the power drops, the relay closes automatically, and the batteries take over to supply power to the airpumps. They are not the strongest airpumps, but at least helps to keep my lifestock allow.

Amalick unless someone out there is a DIY fundi I don't think you can have them come on automatically

Tony - please see mine and Chikaboo's explanations.

Hi there Tony - I have resun's - they are blue in colour and have place for 2 "dd" batteries with a "tail" that plugs into a 220V socket - this "tail" is used as a sensor and as long as there is electricity the pump remains "off" - when it senses there is no power it switches the pumps on - very cool - but could get better if the put a charging circuit in but will look into modifying it myself - just to get some time!

Ditto mate! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :biggrin:

Boyu also make a very nice ac/dc air pump. I have two which run permanently on my fw tank. When the power goes out they just keep on pumping. Also have a UPS running the other goodies. You just have to be prepared.

From Boyu I got myself some submersible air pumps that run of 12volts! Awesome gadgets - they trhow out a 36" stream of water like an power head and in the event of a power failure they can run of 12Volts - It has a venturi so you can close of the air supply completely or have as much air as you turn the corkscrew air tap! Oh forgot to add it even has 3 blue LED lights to add to the "blueish" tinge in the tank and can be used as moonlights inside the tank at night!

From Boyu I got myself some submersible air pumps that run of 12volts! Awesome gadgets - they trhow out a 36" stream of water like an power head and in the event of a power failure they can run of 12Volts - It has a venturi so you can close of the air supply completely or have as much air as you turn the corkscrew air tap! Oh forgot to add it even has 3 blue LED lights to add to the "blueish" tinge in the tank and can be used as moonlights inside the tank at night!

Where did you get it? Sounds like a handy bit of kit.

Where did you get it? Sounds like a handy bit of kit.
eBay dude - there's some cool gadgets for our aquariums there but I'm sure one of our local sponsors can get it for us here - maybe must put in a request on the sponsor forum - I'll be happy to give them the details for a nice big order if the guys on the forum feel its worth bringing in:)

Back
Top Bottom